• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

PS3 vs Dedicated Blu-Ray Playback Quality

Started by jayDur, Monday Dec 17, 2007, 01:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayDur

Hello-

I am a long to viewer of the milwaukeedtv forums (great site), but I am making my first post!

Looking to purchase a Blu-Ray player and wondering if you guys could offer any insight on using a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player vs. a dedicated Blu-Ray player.  Price of PS3 is $399 or $499 and a dedicated player starts in roughly the same range.  Besided the added functionality of the PS3 I am wondering if you could comment on the video, audio quality vs the stand alone players.  Looking exclusively at sub $600 players.  The player will share time between a 1080P 37" LCD and a 720P projector 92".  Anyone out there using a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player?

Thanks much!

kevbeck122

The PS3 is a very good Blu Ray player... I'm currently using it on my 46" 1080P Sharp LCD.  I've only seen standalone players in stores, but I'd say picture quality is very similar vs. the PS3.  I can't comment on the audio part because I use my TV's speakers for now.

gparris

I have two models of Blu-ray players and one of them is the PS3.
The PS3 offers excellent picture quality for Blu-ray Discs as well as upconversion of standard DVD playback as well, through a HDMI output.
If you need any cabling, check our forum's link http://www.ehdmi.com/for cabling, a sponsor.

As far as audio, the PS3 excells in both PCM and Dolby TRUEHD output using an HDMI connection as well, as it internally decodes the audio, though it does not decode as of yet, the full DTS-HD MA as some FOX BDs offer it.
As for me, I think the DTS-HD core that it does decode, is good enough for many and an update to DTS-HD MA is in the works.
Nice thing about the PS3 is it can be linked to the internet for updates and downloads, a great feature.
Not so nice is that is makes a little noise if you are too close to it in a quiet room (for some) and it requires more venilation for it than stand alone BD players.
Additionally, I would  invest in the $24.99 (list) PS3 remote for everyday Blu-ray Disc playback vs. using the game controller as I found it much easier to use for movies.;)

As far as the other BD player I have, since I don't do heavy gaming, the Panasonic BD10A is excellent for load times, menu operation, playback and upconversion including decoding for Dolby TRUEHD, DD+ and DTS-HD HR interally and offers 7.1 analogue outputs and DVD-A playback.

Please see our forum's section on all the high-def DVD playback units that I (try to) keep updating.:D [/B]

Other concerns for BD players is the profile 1.0 that all these currently support for BD and BD-Java playback and most do this now.
Profile 1.1 is better in some respects if you enjoy more interactive movies and 2.0, when available, will introduce a "live" part to the movies experience;
while these profiles are not for everyone (not me), this is something you could consider when selecting a BD playback unit.
The PS3 is constantly updating software, it would seem, so the profiles should be kept the most up-to-date as possible from Sony.

Hope this helps you out...both displays can benefit from these players, among other BD units.

Cheesehead Dave

Quote from: gparris;43139Profile 1.1 is better in some respects if you enjoy more interactive movies and 2.0, when available, will introduce a "live" part to the movies experience;
while these profiles are not for everyone (not me), this is something you could consider when selecting a BD playback unit.
The PS3 is constantly updating software, it would seem, so the profiles should be kept the most up-to-date as possible from Sony.
And just to prove your point, Sony is updating the PS3 firmware tomorrow to give it Profile 1.1 support, as well as the ability to play DivX files.

gparris

Even if you don't like the PS3's profile looks, it is one powerful piece of equipment.
The updates are very frequent from Sony, as the above post explains...now all I want is the DTS-HD MA upgrade!

Few folks I know of  have ever had problems with it and it loads very fast.
If you can even buy the lower end $399 model, provided you don't have any PS2 games to play on it (does not support them), it is a great way to get Blu-ray playback, too.

The Sony S300 model has recently been discounted at some stores according to engadgethd to $299, but it does not decode Dolby TRUEHD, but does PCM.
It is a good starter unit and some forum members enjoy theirs.

Let us know what you decide, jayDur!:wave:

brewtownska

+1 for the PS3 being a nice BD player.  I bought mine in July thinking I'd use it for games first and movies 2nd, but find that there are a lot more good BD movies to watch vs good PS3 games to play.  I rent games here and there from Blockbuster to play on it, and the Blockbuster online service has been a great way to rent BD movies for cheap, with a much better selection than in my local store.

Like other users here, I recommend the BD remote for the PS3, but know you can get away with using one of the controllers for playback without much issue.  One thing I've read of people doing is setting up their PS3 in a location that is near 2 different displays (maybe where they have a TV upstairs and a projecter downstairst) and using 1 PS3 to drive both displays.  The fact that the controllers (and BD remote) are all Bluetooth and can turn on and off the system remotely makes this a great option instead of having 2 separate players.  There are also people who think the fan in the PS3 is too loud to be used in a theatre, so the Bluetooth capability is nice because you can keep the system in a different room so the noise is isolated.

Overall, with the price being just slightly more than a standalone BD player, I think the added features, game capabilities,  and constant firmware updates make it a winner.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

HDefinicktion

I will second the PS3, as I feel it does a great job of playing back BD, and have not had any issues with any disc I have played.  I enjoy the network ability, and internal hard drive.  I have not purchased, nor have I played a game on the machine.  I like having the hard drive for music, videos, and pictures.  Although, it seems to be more of a toy than anything, as most of my music I send to my HR-20 box through TVersity.  If you are a gamer, then this might be the best option...but finding a solid game might be an issue.  In regards to the remote, I used the controllers for awhile, but wanted it incorporated into my Harmony, so I purchased the Bluwave remote from Nyko...and now I am able to have just one remote....and it was only 9.99 at Amazon (A few weeks back).

I also have a Samsung BDP-1400 that I picked up open boxed from Best Buy a few weeks ago.  I am not certain that I will be keeping it yet.  At the price, I jumped at it just to test it.  Things that I like about it is the analog 5.1 output, and the ability to send DTS-HD MA track to my AVR, and 1080p/24fps.  I only have a 5.1 setup in my living room, so 7.1 was not much of an issue.  Overall, I like the fact that it is not as bulky as the PS3, fits much better inside my cabinet, does not generate as much heat, not very loud, and upconverts DVD quite well.  There have been some issues with the drive failure on earlier releases, and limitations of newer BD Java playback are holdups for many.  I personally don't watch much, if any special features....I just don't have the time.

Lastly, I have BD drive in my HTPC...I am using the new EVGA Nvidia nForce e-7150/630i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard to send my video to the TV.  I am also using Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra to decode the audio and video.  I am very surprised at the quality of video, no studders, and frankly just as good of playback as the stand alone Samsung that I have.  The only reservation that I have with the HTPC is lack of control with my Harmony.  I will need to figure out a way to control the Cyberlink software with my remote.  But for now, the mouse works fine as most of the time, I just hit play and walk away.  With the HTPC setup running smoothly, the Samsung may have to be returned.  The only issues that most likely will not work with the HTPC are the additional Java features...

jayDur

Thanks guys for all the great info regarding the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.  I'll be purchasing the PS3 in the coming days and post an update after I view a few movies.  As a few of you mentioned I like the fact the with the built in Ethernet port firmware updates are easy and seem to be quite often from Sony based on what I have read.  

Thanks again for all the great info!

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: gparris;43142Even if you don't like the PS3's profile looks, it is one powerful piece of equipment.
The updates are very frequent from Sony, as the above post explains...now all I want is the DTS-HD MA upgrade!

Few folks I know of  have ever had problems with it and it loads very fast.
If you can even buy the lower end $399 model, provided you don't have any PS2 games to play on it (does not support them), it is a great way to get Blu-ray playback, too.

The Sony S300 model has recently been discounted at some stores according to engadgethd to $299, but it does not decode Dolby TRUEHD, but does PCM.
It is a good starter unit and some forum members enjoy theirs.

Let us know what you decide, jayDur!:wave:

Sony is also bringing out a couple of more expensive new Blu-ray players (just in time to miss the holiday season!) that decode True HD.  See //www.sonyusa.com
for details.

Stan

gparris

The newest Sony model is in their ES line, but all it is from what I can see is just more pricey, not a good trend in a time of price reductions to lure consumers to HDM.

Note: I have upgraded the HDM players in this forum, so if there are any exclusions/additions you might want in the listings, please PM me...thank you!
See: http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6821

Notice that the BDP-S500 is currently available for TRUEHD internal decoding with DTS-HD HR also.
Now it lists @ $599, like the Panasonic DMP-BD10/A's were at awhile ago (now these are $499 if you still find one).
Though I do like its looks, operation and layout, but it is still double the now-lowered price of the S300 (that you have, Stan), it may not be worth it for many.

Since many Blu-ray Discs offer PCM uncompressed for audio, anyway and all BD units handle that, TRUEHD is only an "extra" for most BD's in most cases.

It's the FOX BDs that offer audio for DTS-HD MA only (so far) and only the bitstream output of some BD players can send the audio to a AVR that decodes, an okay solution, though not always the best solution of every consumer.

Once a BD player can decode the DTS-HD MA interally and send it out PCM along with the Dolby TRUEHD also, let me know, I'm ready.

Most of us bought AVRs with HDMI 1.1 or have only analogue inputs on the back of their AVRs, too, so its better to have internal decoding for all BD players, IMO.