• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Need DVD-VCR recorder recommendation

Started by Fred Roller, Tuesday Dec 18, 2007, 10:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Roller

I had to update my 15 year old home theater system since we got our 50" plasma. I now realize I have to update the DVD-VCR player. Because of economics I am waiting for HD & Blueray to wash out to see which will survive.
  In the mean time I need to replace the DVD-VCR player. I want to stay with a combo unit recorder primarily so I can put all the family VCR tapes on DVD. My problem is how to hook up the DVD-VCR to the plasma w/ a cable card so I would be able to get all the HD channels on the recorder if I want to. The only units I have seen have to be hooked up to a converter box which I would rather stay away from.     what would you recommend, (if anything is available). I'm trying to keep it around $300 since I will probably be replacing it in 2-3 years. I would also like to go wth HDMI hook ups to try and keep the connections simple (?).

kevbeck122

It's not possible.  Tivo HD/Series 3 is the only recorder out there that can record with cablecard.  You can also buy a computer with Vista and an ATI cablecard tuner and record that way.  With the DVD/VCR recorders you can only record analog cable with the built in tuner, or hook up a box to the recorder and record that way (it won't be HD either because those only have composite and/or s-video inputs I believe).

Fred Roller

Thanks for the reply.
  What I understand is that it would record analog not HD (not important) and it would not be able to pick up the HD channels (not important).  I don't record very much just football and I do that on the built in DVR.  
  What I guess I'm looking for is a competent unit to transfer the vhs to dvd and play both back with a halfway decent picture and be able to be integrated in with the home theater system.
  It appears that this part of the home theater system is in flux right now unless you can afford thousands of bucks for state-of-the-art. That's why I'm holding around $300  until the technology catches up and the prices come down.

gparris

I recommend this one since it does the upconversion with your current setup with the 50" Plasma (provided it has a HDMI input).
See:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8241002&productCategoryId=abcat0102007&type=product&tab=1&id=1168044400780

Maybe this will assist you for now, as it has a nice price (and availablity) for now.:wave:

kevbeck122

Here are some:
http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdhardwareandsoftware/tp/dvdvcrrecorders.htm

The Toshiba looks like it does QAM also, so you would be able to get digital versions of the local channels through cable and be able to record them.