• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NFL commish makes offer to TWC

Started by klwillis45, Thursday Dec 20, 2007, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

Yeah I saw that too, now it's TWC turn to make a move.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

mhz40

Quote from: klwillis45;43243http://blogs.jsonline.com/businessofsports/archive/2007/12/20/goodell-challenges-time-warner.aspx

IMO its an offer TW is certain to refuse - or should.  They (as well as any other company in America) will never give up their right to negotiate on price.  Adding the service without an agreement backs the cable co into a bargaining corner I would not want to stand in...
It's a private distributor dealing with a private operator of a network.  Let them hammer it out...
In 3 weeks the NFL loses all of their bargaining power, as the season will draw to a close.  I would be in no hurry to add the channel until summer.

smack

Quote from: mhz40;43259In 3 weeks the NFL loses all of their bargaining power, as the season will draw to a close.  I would be in no hurry to add the channel until summer.

The NFL does not lose any bargining power as they have what TWC customers want.  TWC needs to add the channel at some point, otherwise they are in the same position going into next year.

On a side note, it was a fun game to watch tonight and nice to see Najeh playing well for the Steelers.

mhz40

Quote from: smack;43261The NFL does not lose any bargining power as they have what TWC customers want.  TWC needs to add the channel at some point, otherwise they are in the same position going into next year.

On a side note, it was a fun game to watch tonight and nice to see Najeh playing well for the Steelers.
I have it, and let me tell you... besides the Thursday night game and replays of 3 or 4 games from the previous Sunday that may have been out-of-market, there is not much content on the channel.
I still think once the regular season ends, the press as well as the public's eyes and minds will move on to other issues until next fall.
I read somewhere that the NFL wants 70 cents a sub per month (don't forget to add the cable co markup and taxes before it hits your bills).  I think ESPN is around a buck.  I see way more value in ESPN.  Even if you take everything away from ESPN BUT their NFL coverage, they carry 8 more games than the NFL network!
If the NFL gets this deal, bar the door when ESPN's next price hikes hit.

RLJSlick

Not exactly what we TWC people wanted but whatever. They both are starting to get on my nerve.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

picopir8

I am still trying to figure out why this is such an ordeal.

U-Verse and satellite both have NFL Network.  If you want it, just switch.  If TWC looses enough people they will pick it up.

If a local team is on NFL but NFL is not carried by the local cable company, then a local channel will almost always buy the rights to broadcast the game.

So if you dont have NFL, you are only missing out of market games and all their filler shows.  Personally, I do not think that is worth the price that NFL is demanding. Only a few will watch the out of market games and even fewer will watch the filler.  So its not worth adding to the regular packages and raising prices for everyone.  It should be a ala-cart option or left off all together unless NFL comes way down in their price.

Tom Snyder

QuoteI read somewhere that the NFL wants 70 cents a sub per month (don't forget to add the cable co markup and taxes before it hits your bills). I think ESPN is around a buck.
Posted in another thread here:

ESPN: $3.26
Fox Sports Net: $1.92
NFL Network: 80 cents
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org