• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New TW HD Channels and TW vs Sat HD

Started by sherveyj, Friday Dec 07, 2007, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherveyj

A response from TimeWarner - Milwaukee:

Thank you for writing to Time Warner Cable.

We are pleased to announce that on November 14, 2007, we will be adding two new HD channels in the Wisconsin Division. HGTV HD and A&E HD will be available to all Digital customers with Standard Service at no additional cost.

HGTV HD Channel 537
A&E HD Channel 542

The addition of these 2 new channels brings our total available HD channel count to 23 channels.

Time Warner Cable is the "Home of Free HD". We offer free HD channels to digital cable subscribers while other providers charge their customers $10 or more per month for an "HD Technology Fee" to get any HD channels. We offer 17 HD channels in every digital cable package AT NO EXTRA COST.

A&E HD and HGTV HD were selected as two of the most demanded HD networks in a recent Time Warner Cable survey. In 2008 we will continue to add more of the HD channels our customers are asking for. We will add them based on customer demand and will not merely add HD channels of little interest for the sake of adding HD channels. Our competition may offer more channels but many of them are unknown niche channels like RAVE, RUSH, ULTRA HD, TREASURE HD and FAMILY ROOM HD.

Our HD customers can expect to find non-duplicated programming in HD as we do not offer time shifted West Coast feeds or multiplexed feeds in HD (at this time). Our customers can order hit Movies and Events on Demand in HD. No other service provider offers HD on Demand. Our customers can also order major Boxing Events in HD. No other service provider offers title Boxing Events in HD.

We are aware of the recent advertisement for additional HD channels to our competitor's packages. However, that has not happened as of yet nor do we think they'll be able to add 100 HD channels. There claim is deceptive.

There are not 100 quality HD channels available for release at this time. There are approximately 30 National HD channels and we carry a comparable amount as Direct TV have. In fact, Direct TV has one National HD channel we do not have, National Geographic HD, which we are due to add in a few months. Also, we are due to add two additional local network affliate HD channels, CW and MyTV.

In order to add channels to our lineup, we have to have an agreement with the channel and find a place for the channel on a lineup.

We still offer a better overall value. What you should know about satellite:

We do not charge for basic HD (locals and cable networks) vs. $20 for Dish HD
To get advanced equipment from Dish you have to sign a two year commitment
Cancellation fee of up to $240 will apply for early downgrade, termination, or disconnection of service.
Price guarantee for 2 years = 2 years contract
No service plan if you do not commit – customer will have to pay for service calls currently priced at $29.00 (regularly $99.00)

If we can answer any additional questions or account concerns, please feel free to respond to this email below. You will notice that your email has been assigned an incident number as to remain in constant contact with me until you feel your questions and concerns have been answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you in the future with any questions or account concerns, please feel free to visit us online at http://www.timewarnercable.com/milwaukee or email us at timewarnerwi@custhelp.com.

Thank you for using Time Warner Cable!

gparris

Thanks for the letting us know about TWC's current campaign in letter writing, what a crock!:mad:

Note that their RR and DPhone are excellent, IMO, but there is only so much a cableco can do to keep customers:
They seem to have forgotten, IMO, that cableTV is what started it all and "combo packages" are all well and good
-but HD channel selection is what will keep customers happy - now - vs. leaving what I believe is their "core" business -cableTV.

This letter's information has some holes in it and shows a general lack of research on TWC's part, IMO.

syrett4

Quote from: sherveyj;42929A response from TimeWarner - Milwaukee:

...Time Warner Cable is the “Home of Free HD”. We offer free HD channels to digital cable subscribers while other providers charge their customers $10 or more per month for an “HD Technology Fee” to get any HD channels. We offer 17 HD channels in every digital cable package AT NO EXTRA COST.

No way, 17 HD channels compared to 70, wow.  Ask them about HDNET...

A&E HD and HGTV HD were selected as two of the most demanded HD networks in a recent Time Warner Cable survey. In 2008 we will continue to add more of the HD channels our customers are asking for. We will add them based on customer demand and will not merely add HD channels of little interest for the sake of adding HD channels. Our competition may offer more channels but many of them are unknown niche channels like RAVE, RUSH, ULTRA HD, TREASURE HD and FAMILY ROOM HD.

More than Big Ten and NFL? and who are they surveying?  Little old ladies?  This is where they don't get it.  People are switching TO GET NICHE PROGRAMMING.  I have loved the NHL HD channel, GOL, Fox Sports Espanol (soccer), NFL, BTN, VS HD, and a lot of the regional channels in HD NESN, YES etc.  Looking forward to seeing my alma mater Ferris State University on DTV tomorrow.  I'll take niche anyday.

Our HD customers can expect to find non-duplicated programming in HD as we do not offer time shifted West Coast feeds or multiplexed feeds in HD (at this time). Our customers can order hit Movies and Events on Demand in HD. No other service provider offers HD on Demand. Our customers can also order major Boxing Events in HD. No other service provider offers title Boxing Events in HD.

Is this really a feature or would this be a reason, say a person working second shift, switch?  I'm just asking.

We are aware of the recent advertisement for additional HD channels to our competitor's packages. However, that has not happened as of yet nor do we think they'll be able to add 100 HD channels. There claim is deceptive.

Actually when the new satellite goes up there will be 200 coming.  They already have 70.

There are not 100 quality HD channels available for release at this time. There are approximately 30 National HD channels and we carry a comparable amount as Direct TV have. In fact, Direct TV has one National HD channel we do not have, National Geographic HD, which we are due to add in a few months. Also, we are due to add two additional local network affliate HD channels, CW and MyTV.

So WHO at TWC gets to decide what a quality channel is.  Fox Sports Detroit may not be very valuable to many in our area, but I love it!!

We still offer a better overall value.

Keep telling yourself that, as your customers keep bringing back equipment.  The box rental alone is cheaper and with DTV the first one is free.  Yes TWC free, now go look that word up in the dictionary.

I'm so glad that TWC monkey is off my back.

jeffski

If any home shopping channel is ever broadcast in HD,you can bet TWC would be all OVER that. They have no problem adding those junk channels. To say there are only 30 'quality' HD channels is  just a BALD FACE LIE!   The TWC rep should have ended the email with, 'Thank you for being USED by TWC'
 :guns: TWC

jeffski

Just fired off this email to TWC,,,for what it's worth : :OnAir:

Your lame responses regarding your HD programming are only getting people further riled up and more apt to jump to directv or dish.  See : http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?p=42933#post42933

Your claim that directv won't be able to offer 100   HD channels is false(They already have 80 up) . In case you haven't heard,once their next satellite is up,they'll be able to offer 200 HD channels. (hmm..do the math, that's almost 10 TIMES more HD channels as TWC.
 Who there  at TWC decides what a 'quality' HD channel is anyway? Who are THEY to say?! There are MANY people who go for those niche channels. Please get your collective heads out of the sand and  wake up and admit this.
  If a home shopping (aka junk tv) is ever broadcast is HD, I'll bet TWC would be ALL OVER THAT , adding that  useless channel.
 If you think people are dropping off their boxes in droves at your offices now,just wait until after Christmas when  thousands upon THOUSANDS of new HD tvs will be in use and people start comparing packages and will figure the no-brainer of going to  Direct tv or  dish which offers many MANY MANY more HD channels than TWC .Many of your current customers ( me included) will be waving bye  bye, and forget about grabbing any potential customers with that pathetic HD line up you have.
 When will you people get with the times? HD is not a novelty like it was 3-4 years ago. It's time you start realizing that before TWC is left further behind in the dust of satellite.

LoadStar

I'd love to respond and list out all of the channels DirecTV currently carries that Time Warner doesn't:
Animal Planet HD
Bio.HD
Big 10 HD
Bravo HD
Cartoon Network HD
Cinemax HD East/ Cinemax HD West
CMT HD
CNBC HD+
CNN HD
Discovery HD
Food Network HD
Fox Business HD
Fuel HD
FX HD
Golf Network HD
History Channel HD
MGM HD
MTV HD
MHD
National Geographic HD
USA HD
Versus HD
VH1 HD
NBA HD
NFL HD
NHL HD
NickHD
ShoToo HD
Smithsonian HD
Speed HD
Spike HD
Starz HD East/Starz HD West
Starz Comedy HD
Starz Edge HD
Starz Kids/Family HD
The Movie Channel HD
The Science Channel HD
SciFi HD
TLC HD

That's 39 channels, and that's giving Time Warner the benefit of the doubt and grouping the East and West channels together as a single offering (which is fair).

Now, to play devil's advocate, I realize that as many as half of these may be like TBS - they're on the air, but don't really offer much if any HD programming. The difference is that when most of these plan to begin broadcasting HD programming, which will be early next year, DirecTV customers will be able to see it from day one, while Time Warner customers will be waiting probably until 2009 (at least) for longer for most of them.

syrett4

Yep, it just feels so good to vent.  You will find some of my rants strung through other recent threads.  Its like I broke free or something.

RLJSlick

Good job on the email. I also wrote them ask them why they hadn't mention the $6 a month for the 4 addition HD channels that their "Home of Free HD" cost me each month.

Quote from: sherveyj;42929A response from TimeWarner - Milwaukee:

Thank you for writing to Time Warner Cable.

We are pleased to announce that on November 14, 2007, we will be adding two new HD channels in the Wisconsin Division. HGTV HD and A&E HD will be available to all Digital customers with Standard Service at no additional cost.

HGTV HD Channel 537
A&E HD Channel 542

The addition of these 2 new channels brings our total available HD channel count to 23 channels.

Time Warner Cable is the "Home of Free HD". We offer free HD channels to digital cable subscribers while other providers charge their customers $10 or more per month for an "HD Technology Fee" to get any HD channels. We offer 17 HD channels in every digital cable package AT NO EXTRA COST.

In order to add channels to our lineup, we have to have an agreement with the channel and find a place for the channel on a lineup.

We still offer a better overall value. What you should know about satellite:

We do not charge for basic HD (locals and cable networks) vs. $20 for Dish HD
To get advanced equipment from Dish you have to sign a two year commitment
Cancellation fee of up to $240 will apply for early downgrade, termination, or disconnection of service.
Price guarantee for 2 years = 2 years contract
No service plan if you do not commit – customer will have to pay for service calls currently priced at $29.00 (regularly $99.00)

If we can answer any additional questions or account concerns, please feel free to respond to this email below. You will notice that your email has been assigned an incident number as to remain in constant contact with me until you feel your questions and concerns have been answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you in the future with any questions or account concerns, please feel free to visit us online at http://www.timewarnercable.com/milwaukee or email us at timewarnerwi@custhelp.com.

Thank you for using Time Warner Cable!
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

gparris

I, for one, don't understand these comments TWC is offering and have some questions:

1) In TWC-San Antonio, TX (plus recently, New York City), the National Geographic Channel HD is offered and has been for some weeks, already!
So what is the TWC Milwaukee "excuse" for not having it yet?

2) Many of the TWC locations have offered BOTH feeds (East and West) of HBO and Showtime, plus CinemaxHDWest and StarzHDWest and not just at the location mentioned. So what about that, why the deception?

3) To mention the "unknown niche" VOOM channels Dishnet offers vs. what DirectvHD offers for "cable" channels that almost everyone has access to:
Why would TWC mention only these VOOM channels vs.  those "cable" channels DirectvHD is offering in HD (USAHD, SciFiHD, Animal PlanetHD, etc.)?

4) As for "quality" HD channels, how "HD" is TBSHD really, anyway?
-It is certainly NOT a "quality HD channel", IMO, as it offers no true HD programming (that I have seen), outside of those baseball games from the fall!

IMHO, if TWC spent more time adding HD channels, instead of writing these error-filled notices:

-HD subs would have probably had close to what the competition currently offers in HD channel selection by now!