News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HD-A2: $99 at Walmart, 11/2/07 Only!

Started by SRW1000, Thursday Nov 01, 2007, 12:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbaridesfast

Quote from: HDefinicktion;42042I am never one to stand in lines for items around Christmas, but I decided to go into the Walmart on my way to work this morning and pick one of the A2s for 99 bucks. It has to be better than the upconverting player I am using now. Everyone that was standing in line was there for some $350 laptop. I walked in bought it, and was out in 15 minutes. They had 10 in the pile that I grabbed from.

I went to the Burlington Walmart this morning.  I live in Waterford, but work near Wilmot, which is close the border.  The nearest Circuit City was about 12 miles from the school I work at.  I went there yesterday for the A2, but ended up getting the A20 for $199.

So you bought the A20 yesterday and the A2 today? Are you returning one or did I misunderstand your posts?

HDefinicktion

I wanted one at 199, but didn't realize that they were going to go for 99 today at Walmart.  So I went and tried to get one, but they were not in stock, so they gave me the A20 for the same price of the A2.  Only because they showed they had stock, but could not find the unit.  Now I see they dropped the price to 129.  I will have to get a price adjustment.  I am not returning one.  I am putting the A20 with my 1080p set in the living room, and the A2 with the 720p set in the basement.  After the price adjustment, it will have cost me total of 230 for both players.

Ralph Kramden

I just got back from CC, and I got a price adjustment. I bought the HD-A2 Saturday for $158, and now it's reduced to $129 on their website. So they refunded $29. If it drops again they'll give me another refund(As many times as it drops within 30 days).

LowSignal

Picked one up for $99 at the mukwonago Walmart at noon(they are now sold out FYI), This morning I tried the one on 27th st in Franklin and they wanted 198.99.  Funny thing too because I stopped at the mukwonago walmart for a usb wireless adapter for a customer only to see a large stack of HDDVD players marked $98.:rock:

flash

I picked one up this morning and asked if I could have two of them and the clerk said I'd have to get back in line....................

I turned around.....................................

there was one person in line..............

I got behind them.............................

I bought a second one for $98:rof:

flash

Now I have to buy a new tv with HDMI and a new Denon AVR with HDMI.......

poor me...... LOL

gparris

Good news for you flash, but the HDMI really works well with a HDTV and AVR, so equipped, for both advanced audio codecs and high bit rate transfers in video, IMO.

If I had the chance to find one for my Sony 60" in the rec room, I would have got one to match up with the PS3 for Blu-ray movies:
We were going to watch "Transformers" on HD DVD with the theatre seat setup in that location of the house, but then I remembered the HD DVD player was up in the family room, instead and unpluging and resetting the HD-A1 up once again was a bit awkward.

At that "new" price of $98, there is definitely a reason to have more of them around the house if there is a HDTV in the room, definitely.:D

tazman

The West Bend Walmart has about a dozen of them on the shelf marked at $185.00 with a sign taped to the shelf stating "Do to Wisconsin State law we are unable to sell below cost."

Steve Mann

Quote from: tazman;42078The West Bend Walmart has about a dozen of them on the shelf marked at $185.00 with a sign taped to the shelf stating "Do to Wisconsin State law we are unable to sell below cost."

I called two stores this morning. The one in Pewaukee and the one on Capital in Milwaukee. They both stated that the prices had indeed been lowered to the $98 level. How or why, I don't know. But it appears sometime last night most of the WI Walmarts lowered the pricing.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

flash

Quote from: tazman;42078The West Bend Walmart has about a dozen of them on the shelf marked at $185.00 with a sign taped to the shelf stating "Do to Wisconsin State law we are unable to sell below cost."

I wonder why different Wally Worlds charge different prices.
All I know is that I bought 2 of them and they both were $98.

I'm selling the second one to my brother  in law for what I paid for it.
He was pretty excited about getting the 5 free HD DVD's also.

Hey Taz, have the West Bend Walmart match the price of the Burlington Walmart where I got mine. :rock:

SRW1000

I can verify that these are available at the Saukville Walmart for $98!

I stopped by tonight.  The sign on the shelf said $185, but I had the old guy in Electronics scan it anyway.  He said it was just going to ring up at the posted price, but he humored me anyway.  

It scanned at $98, as I explained to him that there were reports that the prices were changed in the computers overnight.  He wasn't too pleased that nobody had let them know, and said he might buy a couple of them himself.

There were about eight available at around 6:30 PM tonight.

Scott

LoadStar

Quote from: SRW1000;42105I can verify that these are available at the Saukville Walmart for $98!

I stopped by tonight.  The sign on the shelf said $185, but I had the old guy in Electronics scan it anyway.  He said it was just going to ring up at the posted price, but he humored me anyway.  

It scanned at $98, as I explained to him that there were reports that the prices were changed in the computers overnight.  He wasn't too pleased that nobody had let them know, and said he might buy a couple of them himself.

There were about eight available at around 6:30 PM tonight.

Scott

Confirmed - got the last one at New Berlin. Not sure if I'll keep it, money's a little tight right now... but I wanted to grab it before someone else did.

Matt Heebner

LOADSTAR,
If you think about selling, let me know...I will take it off your hands for the price you paid plus a 12 pack of your favorite malted beverage......:D

gparris

Sounds like the HD-A2 got sold almost everywhere the last couple of days.
Now maybe the high def DVD player market has expanded.
Or, maybe its just us HDTV users that got their second one for the other HDTV room.:D
Hopefully, this HD DVD player will be connected to HDTVs - with the correct cabling to GET the HD picture.
I can just see it now:
1. Someone buys the HD-A2 from Wal-Mart.
2. Connects it to their 25" CRT analogue set
3. With composite cables.
4. Puts in a SD DVD
5. Now thinks they have "HDTV" on their screen.
:eek:

Dan the Man

I got into an discussion (arguement) with a guy at work about HD-DVD/BlueRay players. He insisted that you need a "BlueRay" TV to watch any type of high definition DVD. Granted, the set needs to have a HDMI connection to get 1080P, but you can still get 1080i if I don't have the HDMI input.

I told him there was no such thing as a BlueRay TV. I could be wrong,  but I don't think so.