• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

U-Verse Expanding

Started by UncleMeat, Thursday Oct 18, 2007, 06:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleMeat

Not sure how big of news it is... but there was a U-Verse van/tent set up in the parking lot of my apartment complex yesterday.  Didn't have time to stop and talk, but confirmed online that U-Verse is now in my part of Brookfield.  

I think I might have to switch, even if my only reason is to see reruns of old games on the NFL network.  :)

jkane

The universe is expanding, but some believe it will collapse back in on it's self some day.  

peepwallA

Den Mayer

AT&T U-verse people are working quietly in the GBay suburb of Allouez.

Line conditioning & fiber cable pulling work was noticed about Labor Day
 and both operations continue daily.

My neighborhood VRAD foundation for 222 homes was dug 2 days ago.

Looks like I'll be located about 3 homes (300 ft) from the rear lot
   line VRAD box site.   That short distance is good for better service!!

I'm thinking now about the U200 package with $10 HD + $5 Pro Internet
  set up tacked on.  My current Phone system is AT&T analog.

With some luck..... I might see U-verse TV operation by New Years.
 I'm looking at a new XP/Vista computer for the Pro Internet Service.

UncleMeat

Anyone know if you can record/view multiple HD streams yet?  Their website says the DVR can record "up to 4 shows at a time."  No mention of SD vs HD recording.

Time Warner is really pushing my buttons lately and I'm a phone call away from making the switch.

Gregg Lengling

At this time it is 1 hd stream at anytime (for ex.  1hd and 3 sd or 4 sd).  2HD streams will become available 2nd or 3rd quarter of next year.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

tencom

I saw UVERSE at a releative's house and was not that impressed with Picture Quality to me  good analog video with a television with a comb filter would have surpassed the UVERSE in Picture Quality this was in standard definition. Could not see HD because they did not have the HD set connected yet.

TPK

U-verse still has major issues

1) Hardware (DVR boxes) are pathetic and barely usable.  Menus are slow, and digital (HDMI) connections are "not supported" (I had to switch to component because the box would frequently crash when connecting with HDMI).

2) Picture quality (HD and SD) is horrible (although I do believe that is improving).

3) 1 HD stream at a time.

The one advantage U-verse had over competitors, its number of HD channels, is being trumped by DTVs recent launch of HD channels earlier this month...

Instead of expanding, I really wish they would focus instead on improving the product..

I think the bulk of people that are signing up to fuel the expansion will evaporate away as they switch to a better quality product when they realise that the service is not all that its cracked up to be..

Den Mayer

I picked up some new U-Verse info today from a number of sources.

The U-Verse 'national feed' to NE Wisc customers will have it's head
 end in Oshkosh.

This probably means that Appleton & GBay U-Verse will go online
  about the same time.  There is now 6 more months to install VRADS.
  All we are short is the 'TV signal' to fill the fiber lines & build more
  fiber laterals to feed the VRADS.

NE Wisc U-Verse intro date will now be about June of 2008 rather
 that Jan of 2008.  Reason: Some Oshkosh head end equipment was
 transfered to MKE to help 'em out.

Also AT&T U-Verse TV has signed on with GBay FOX11-HD which TWC
 has not successfully completed yet.

gparris

Nice to know its expanding in some areas - thanks for the info.

In Kenosha County, my guess is that the governmental "leaders" found a way to stop if from coming here - at least for now - imagine that?

We don't know WHEN if will come, if ever.:(

It would be great to have some competition for TWC other than satellite.
Satellite is good, but it just seems a bit odd for U-Verse not to be happening here.:confused:

kevbeck122

Yeah it's either the fight that the government has with AT&T that U-verse is to be classified as a cable service, therefore requiring a cable franchise.  I guess that's what's happening in Connecticut... VRAD/service installation is at a halt right now there and they might have to get rid of it all together.  

Otherwise the city doesn't want "big" ugly VRADs sitting around town.  Most of the ones I've seen are hidden by bushes or aren't that big at all.  They integrate them pretty well in the places I've seen them.  The one that might service my neighborhood is behind a Cousin's subs.. not too noticeable.  I think distance might be an issue for me though... only can be within 2300 feet wire distance from the VRAD/cross connect box.  Hopefully they increase that distance as well as the bandwidth with pair bonding or VDSL2 in the near future.

I might switch for the price... U400 + HD + Elite Internet is nearly the same price as I'm paying for DigiPic 2000 + RR business class and I'm even getting all the discounts they'll give me.

fzappa

So from what I'm reading here the Uverse isn't worth it? I signed up for it the other day, and I currently have TWC. I've been looking to get rid of it for years. I don't plan on recording more than 1 HD show at one time. The package I am getting is the U300 with the sports package. I had to get the u300 in order to get Fox Soccer Channel. I'm not sure if the sports package is even worth it, but the free month should allow me to figure that out.

I just want to know if the picture quality is really bad, and if it is worth the switch now.

waterhead

I think that the PQ depends on your equipment. I'm not seeing anything wrong, the HD picture looks good.

Of course I never saw any problems with the PQ of CBS58, where a lot of the forum members did. I have a newer set, and most members have older sets.

Just remember, you can only do one HD stream at a time. If you are recording a HD show, you can't watch a different one. I don't even see a way to watch the one that you are recording.

fzappa

I don't watch a lot of television. So, it probably won't be an issue. I just got my TV in May, so my set is pretty new. I haven't seen any problem with TWC in HD. Even if I keep the sports package, I'm paying the same price for a lot more on Uverse vs. TWC. If I drop the sports package. I'm saving $10 for a lot more. Either way, I think I win.

gparris

U-Verse has over a dozen HD channels that TWC does not offer locally.
Even with that pithy two-HD channel TWC addition on 11/14, U-Verse has much more than what TWC still does not offer, that I'd really like to have.:D

Mind you, other TWC locations offer these additional HD channels, only TWC locally, doesn't, even after tomorrow.:(

U-Verse has got good marks from some subs in Racine County that I know.
It does depend on the age (or maybe the calibration or condition) of the HDTV set, like waterhead mentioned, whether or not U-Verse produces a striking HD picture.

AT&T offers some competition to TWC, though it's not available in enough areas (like mine), but it is a start vs. just satellite service.

FYI, I personally hate AT&T's (formerly Cingular) cell phone service, but that's a whole different product.:blush: