• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sony BDP-S300 Firmware Upgrade

Started by Stanley Kritzik, Monday Oct 08, 2007, 05:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley Kritzik

I bought my Blu-ray from Sony, and just got notice of a firmware upgrade -- either I download and burn a DVD (I did), or they will send it to me.  It's supposed to clean up some inability to play some older DVDs.  (New version 2.60)

That's neat, and appreciated, but what I wonder is: will customers who buy their players at Costco, Best Buy, Buy.com, etc., get the same treatment?  I assume they will be afforded the opportunity to register with Sony when they install the unit, but I just wonder what per cent will actually do so.

There are always challenges, I guess!

Stan

Cheesehead Dave

Per a post I saw over on Ars, some newer Blu-rays have updated copy protection, and if your player can't handle it, you be lucky and get a notice on your screen telling you to go update your firmware. If you're unlucky, your player will just hang.

gparris

Cheesehead Dave, I think you meant avsforums, but these newest FOX Blu-ray discs played fine in other players with BD-Java software in them.
Both of my Panasonic Blu-ray disc players worked fine with these newest releases and so did my PS3.
Only the Samsung BD-P1200 and LG's BH100 players required firmware updates and get the screen you show
- No other BD players have had that problem, including the Sony S300/301.

As for the Sony S300/S301 BD players, Sony going to do an upgrade for the firmware to allow it to decode Dolby TRUEHD like the S1 now has, but there is no firm date.:(
Sony will be coming out with the "S500" model soon, offering digital passthru for DTS-HD decoding to an AVR that is able,  but no deals as yet as to if it will be HR or MA, including Dolby TRUEHD internal decoding.
Most Blu-ray Discs offer LPCM lossless audio "passthru" for those whose AVRs have 5.1 analogue inputs or HDMI inputs; some offer Dolby TRUEHD and the FOX releases offer the DTS-HD MA.
See: http://www.blu-raystats.com/index.php?OrderBy=Audio