• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

9/30 - 10/6 Only! HD DVD Player $250 + $100 Gift Card

Started by SRW1000, Sunday Sep 30, 2007, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

Heads up for anyone looking.

Circuit City is offering a $100 gift card with the purchase of any Toshiba HD DVD player.  The HD A2 shows in stock at Southridge, at a price of $250.  That makes the effective price of the player just $150!

Plus, if you buy it today (9/30), you still qualify for five free HD DVDs via the mail-in rebate form.  Edit:  The rumor is that a new five disc promotion will start on 10/1, with some new movies to choose from, so this part of the deal may be good for the entire week.

I've never seen a deal this good before, but they are clearing out the 2nd gen players to make room for the upcoming 3rd gen players.

By the way, the HD A20 is also reasonably priced at $360 plus you get the $100 gift card.

For anyone tempted in the past, this is a great jump-in price point!

Scott

gparris

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to my group of clients, family and friends as they are updating or creating their HT setups for the upcoming viewing months.;)

LuckySe7ens

it appears they raised the price of the HD A2 to $299.

Too bad, I was actually considering breaking my boycott on both HD formats, but that extra $50 is a deal-breaker.

Probably for the better -- I don't want to tolerate a format with such restrictive DRM.

SRW1000

Nuts, they did raise prices:  The A2 is $299 and the A20 to $399.

Hopefully, some of you got in on the deal on Sunday.  $150 was an outstanding price.  $199 isn't bad either, but $150 puts it in the range of a lot more people.  

The 5 free movies are still a nice bonus.

Scott

Blitzburgh

Why would you invest in a format that is not going to be around for the long haul?

Cheesehead Dave

Quote from: SRW1000;41186Nuts, they did raise prices:  The A2 is $299 and the A20 to $399.

Hopefully, some of you got in on the deal on Sunday.  $150 was an outstanding price.  $199 isn't bad either, but $150 puts it in the range of a lot more people.  

The 5 free movies are still a nice bonus.

Scott

You could probably ebay those five discs to make up a chunk of the price.

Not that I'm advocating someone investing in HD-DVD...:p

SRW1000

Quote from: Blitzburgh;41343Why would you invest in a format that is not going to be around for the long haul?
I'm not sure if you're referring to HD DVD or high definition media in general, but the primary answer is that I'm an HD fan.  I have been since I saw my first demo of HD back in the '90s, when the CES was in Chicago, and consumers were invited.

On the other hand, if you're referring specifically to HD DVD, I agree with most analysts these days who think the current format war will go on for at least another 18-24 months.  After that period, nobody knows what will happen.  But, even if both formats suddenly die (unlikely, but possible), the players will still play whatever movies are out there, and they do a good to great job of upconverting DVDs.

In the case of this post, $150 would have gotten anyone into the game, with five free HD movies as a nice bonus.  Heck, some people pay that much money just for cables.  NetFlix and Blockbuster both offer HD DVDs as part of their mail-based subscription service, so for about $2 per movie a guy can see a bunch of great movies in HD (some with special extras).  They beat the pants off of DVD, which is kind of why we're here.

All in all, it's really not a very big investment for an HD fan, and the payoff is well worth it, in both sound and video quality.

Scott