News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

D* and cable internet question

Started by Dan the Man, Monday Sep 10, 2007, 01:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

Wondering if anyone has an answer to this.....

Here's what I am thinking. Can high speed internet and a DirecTv feed run through the same coaxial line? I know that using a diplexer can allow an OTA signal to run on the same coax as the D* signal from the multi-switch to the receiver. Is it possible to do a similar thing with broadband and D*?

I have TWC right now, and am thinking about switching to D*, but would need to run additional lines to separate the two. If I didn't have to, the install would be a breeze. Otherwise, where I need the internet feed is up on the second floor to my office. Running wiring up there is not an easy task. I have tried having my wireless access point on the first floor, but the signal is poor when the receiving computer is above the WAP.

Just thought this MIGHT be possible.

Thanks!

AndrewP

No, you can't mix cable RR and D*.
But you can install wireless router at the entrance of your cable line and use existing line for D*. Only problem right now is that for D* HD DVR you will need two lines. However, a device allowing to run one line is in testing. If you need OTA then you can use a pair of diplexers to add OTA into this line.
With Dish Network you can install HD DVR with one line now, this device is available from them.

murdoc

D* needs RG-6 coax cable.  Most cable companies use RG-59coax and the satellite signal will not get through it.  You would need new lines for D* unless by some off chance your existing coax is RG-6.

steve053

I think that D* also uses quad RG-6, so even more likely that it's not compatable.

vetrev

I have D* throughout my house and also use TW Broadband. D* and cable companies both currently use RG 6. I switched from cable to D* without any problem. They used the existing cable runs throughout my house for my satellite receivers. However, I did have to run extra lines to my three HD DVRs, but it's worth it! Note that you cannot diplex local channels to the new MPEG-4 HD receivers. Here's what I recommend: use the cable run upstairs for the satellite receiver. Use a cheap router at your cable access point and connect it via ethernet cable to a NetGear powerline network adapter. You can purchase two of them in a kit at Best Buy or through Amazon. Then use another powerline adapter upstairs in your office and plug that to your upstairs computer (a desktop I assume). I've found the powerline adapters to be much more reliable and surprisingly speedy than wireless, especially if you need good access upstairs. Right now my powerline adapters run at approximately 50 Mega bits per second which is much faster than my TW Turbo service can go (11 Mbs). Just my thoughts.;)

Bebop

Quote from: murdoc;40732D* needs RG-6 coax cable.  Most cable companies use RG-59coax and the satellite signal will not get through it.  You would need new lines for D* unless by some off chance your existing coax is RG-6.

I' have been using  my old RG59 cable lines from TW  for DirecTV for the past few years. I'm hoping they will not be a problem with the new mpeg4 receivers next week. But, I'm prepared to replace them with RG6 if required.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Nels Harvey

RG-59 and RG-6 both present about the same impedence to a system, of about 70 to 72 Ohms.  RG-59 will have more loss, and have more leakage, especially Radio Shack cable.

A relatively short run of RG-59 could probably work OK in some situations, but as runs are longer, the interference, leakage and attenuation will be a factor.

Most RG-6 cable has an aluminum foil that greatly attenuates the leakage problem.  The signals from a satellite system run from about 950 MHz. to 1,250 MHz.  RG-59 is quite leaky at those frequencies and will cause the satellite signals to radiate, as well as attenuate the signal levels.  

Cable TV signals which are from about 30 MHz. to about 500 MHz. will leak out from a poor cable, or connectors, and  can cause unwanted interference.  Such leakage causes interference to land mobile and aircraft frequencies, and is unacceptable.  The cable companies are constantly seeking leakage sources.  Note the PVC antennas on the TW trucks.

Cable and satellite installers are reluctant to use RG-59, even in existing runs, because of the attenuation and leakage problem it presents.  

The cost difference isn't very much, especially considering the installation costs the same for either cable.  It only makes sense to use quality cable for your installations.

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Bebop

Finally, I got my DirecTV Mpeg-4 upgrade today. I had no problem using the old RG59 in the house. The signal is 95 with a 50ft run.  I'm sure happy I didn't have to run new cable. Maybe those old TW cables are of good quality.

I had a bad BBC. It took me half the day figure it out.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

Quote from: Nels Harvey;40771RG-59 and RG-6 both present about the same impedence to a system, of about 70 to 72 Ohms.  RG-59 will have more loss, and have more leakage, especially Radio Shack cable.

A relatively short run of RG-59 could probably work OK in some situations, but as runs are longer, the interference, leakage and attenuation will be a factor.

Most RG-6 cable has an aluminum foil that greatly attenuates the leakage problem.  The signals from a satellite system run from about 950 MHz. to 1,250 MHz.  RG-59 is quite leaky at those frequencies and will cause the satellite signals to radiate, as well as attenuate the signal levels.  

Cable TV signals which are from about 30 MHz. to about 500 MHz. will leak out from a poor cable, or connectors, and  can cause unwanted interference.  Such leakage causes interference to land mobile and aircraft frequencies, and is unacceptable.  The cable companies are constantly seeking leakage sources.  Note the PVC antennas on the TW trucks.

Cable and satellite installers are reluctant to use RG-59, even in existing runs, because of the attenuation and leakage problem it presents.  

The cost difference isn't very much, especially considering the installation costs the same for either cable.  It only makes sense to use quality cable for your installations.

Nels....

Thanks for the information, I know the new homes being built in very-busy Kenosha County are all RG6 as I visit sites with new homeowners building and notice the markings on the wires or see the info on the construction orders.
Makes it easy to switch between satellite and cable services if desired.;)