News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TV advice!

Started by sp44again, Wednesday Aug 22, 2007, 12:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp44again

I'm looking to replace my old 65" Mits RPTV. I really don't need a TV this big, it was overkill pretty much when we got it. Now I don't know what type to get, LCoS, Plasma or LCD. Looking between 46-55". I don't like the bulb replacement part of LCoS but I can look over that with a good deal. After reading and reading forums I'm more confused. Plasma I like for the fast picture for sports and black levels, and color. LCD I like not having to worry about glare. Seems pretty much every company has some quirk with a model. I thought about LED DLP but I think it's too soon from the reviews I've read. One other thing, depth of the actual TV does not matter which is why I'm looking at SXRD's. I have Sunday Ticket so I hope to watch a lot of football so that's why I'm leaning Plasma or a SXRD. Please post some opinions. Thanks!

CrashCamomilli

Between myself, and three good friends of mine, we own all the TV's discussed.

For my viewing experience, I have been SUPER impressed by the viewing angles on some of the LCOS tv's.  I will be paying closer attention to the LCOS market as I look to replace my samsung next spring.  

My buddy likes entertaining, and I have found the viewing angles on his LCOS, to be less troublesome in relation to seating large numbers of people.

Personally, I have been happy with my DLP, and will most likely give the LED DLP a fair look over next year.

gparris

Folks I installed setups with the Sony 50A2020 (seating distance 103 inches) and the 55A2020 (seating distance 112 inches) find them easy on the eyes and checkbook (we bought them at the Sony Outlet Center in Pleasant Prairie).

If you are concerned about bulb life, remember to leave the set on for awhile if you plan on watching for a bit.
So, if you like to turn it on and off a lot during the day, change your "CRT" habits - this is from my clients/family/friends experiences...the bulb holds up a lot longer.

Also, if you remember to add an APC or Tripplite brand (suggestion) UPS to the purchase, if the power goes out, you get full-bulb-cooling during the UPS's backup time for the fan to operate-this keeps the life of your bulb a bit longer.

Just out, there is a new 50 or 56" 1080p display RPTV in your range, so try the new Panasonic PT-50LCZ70 or PT-56LCZ70, as it has a new bulb in it that lasts (according to them) as long as a LED light source (their claim) and it turns on faster (almost no wait).

On the other  hand, recently a friend of mine bought a 52" Sharp LCD 1080p panel and loves it from Secondact for around $2K (plus the Sharp extended warranty).
It suits him and his spouse, has deep colour with no banding effects (like some LCDs can have) and a great, bright picture with no bulb replacement or burn in.
We noticed no pixelation in fast motion scenes (LCD's weakness), either.

Note, there is NO "perfect" display type, only one that you are happiest with!:wave:

AndrewP

I have 50" Sony 1080p SXRD and 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP.
As far as HD goes, both are perfect.
SD is better with Sony, I think because of smaller size. Becuse DVD are upconverted by Mitsubishi ver good. That is why I am and will be on sidelines in HDDVD - BD war for a while.
I did not consider Plasma and LCD - I like TVs to fill some space:)

flash

The new Sony A3000 series SXRD were just released about a week ago and they're getting rave reviews and are the slimmest rear projection TV's out there (rumor has it you may be able to hang the 50" model on the wall). If you shop around they are going for basically the same as the A2020 models and are 24p True Cinema along with Motionflow 120Hz technology (basically giving you a more "film like" movie experience.
The new XBR5's are coming out in November but are a LOT more expensive (almost twice the price) and weigh twice as much (using glass for their screens).
It pretty much depends on your pain threshold for your wallet.
For me personally....... I will be getting the Sony A3000 series when all the deals hit this coming holiday season. :cool:

jkane

The new Costco in Grafton opens up Aug 30th.  They mailed us a coupon for $500 off some 50" or so flat screen TV.  Wasn't in the market for one, so did't memorize which model or anything.  It may end up being a good deal.  I just don't know.

Cheesehead Dave

My neighbor has the 50" SXRD which looks pretty good, even though he hasn't done any sort of calibration on it. He has DirecTV which looks pretty good, and the OTA for the locals looks fantastic.

I recently picked up the 47" Westinghouse LCD. I have TWC and it looks great all around. The 1080p sources (Blu-ray, PS3 games) look good enough for me to want to dive into the set. Fairly inexpensive as well.