News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Help with House wiring for D*

Started by smack, Friday Aug 24, 2007, 09:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smack

Ok, I have the 3 LnB dish and want to get ready to go to the 5 lnb dish.

I currently have an HR20 with only one line (so I cant record to Sat programs at once) and an OTA line running to it.  I believe I need two Sat. lines as well as my OTA line to take full advantage of it correct?  I will also be adding another HR20 for my other set upstairs

So....is two lines (in addition to the OTA line) from the switch to the TV sufficient for each set?  I have the solid copper core coax cable to run and I am capable of doing it.  However do I run the lines (two from each set) into the basement where the current (D* switch / box) is?  Do I need the B-band converters and a new switch or does D* provide that at installation.

Is it better to run the coax that is a double line (seperate insulation).

I would like to have it set up as easy as possible for the installer so I can have him spend a little extra time dialing in the dish to get good signal strength.

Any advice?

murdoc

If you are getting another HR20 D* might give you free installation.  I would call and see what kind of deal you can get.  Each box will need 2 SAT and 1 OTA lines for full capability.  You will also need 2 BBC's on each HR20.  If you have a multiswitch, it may have to be swapped to the new Winegard 6x8 IIRC.  Your best bet would be to run the OTA cable for the second box and let the installer run the rest.  For an extra $20 most installers will run a second SAT line to your existing HR20, but talk to D* and tell them you only have 1 line.  They might add that in to the install.  You can get additonal BBC's for NO COST on D* website.  You will be provided 2 BBC's with the new HR20, so you would have to order 2 from D*.

Rick Sass

Ok - so now I'm confused. So with the 5 LNB Dish, I only need 2 coax cables from the dish to the STB? I thought it was 5 coax cables from the dish to the STB.

AndrewP

Quote from: Rick Sass;40527Ok - so now I'm confused. So with the 5 LNB Dish, I only need 2 coax cables from the dish to the STB? I thought it was 5 coax cables from the dish to the STB.

It is not 5 LNBS - 5 cables, it is 2 tuners - 2 cables. And I heard that D* soon will release a device which will allow 1 cable for receiver. Dish has already this  separator for two years.

smack

Quote from: AndrewP;40530It is not 5 LNBS - 5 cables, it is 2 tuners - 2 cables. And I heard that D* soon will release a device which will allow 1 cable for receiver. Dish has already this  separator for two years.

Any idea on how soon we are looking at for this "device?"  That would obviously eliminate the need for me to run some extra lines.

AndrewP

Quote from: smack;40534Any idea on how soon we are looking at for this "device?"  That would obviously eliminate the need for me to run some extra lines.

Don't know. I just read about beta-testing of this device on satelliteguys.us D* forum. I think tat someone will be able to have just one line to the receiver with this device and 1 pair of diplexers and 1 splitter to feed 2 sat. inputs an 3 OTA inputs.