• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

MPTV To Discontinue Digital Version of Analog 10

Started by waterhead, Friday Aug 10, 2007, 10:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

From the MPTV Web site:

Antiques Roadshow                                       ANRO    PBS  
   (36-1) "Charlotte, NC, Pt. 3"                                   718   MO  09/03/07  07:00pm  00:56:46        (CC)       ST
   (36-1) "Honolulu, HI, Pt. 1"                                   1101   FR  09/07/07  09:00pm  00:56:45        (CC)       ST
   (36-1) "Honolulu, HI, Pt. 1"                                   1101   MO  09/10/07  07:00pm  00:56:45        (CC)       ST
   (36-1) "Honolulu, HI, Pt. 2"                                   1102   MO  09/17/07  07:00pm  00:56:46        (CC)       ST
   (36-1) "Honolulu, HI, Pt. 3"                                   1103   FR  09/28/07  09:00pm  00:56:45        (CC)  

Globe Trekker                                           GLTK    APT  
   (36-1) "Egypt"                                                  618   SU  09/02/07  11:00pm  00:56:07        (CC) (DVS) ST
   (36-1) "Ecuador & The Galapagos Islands"                        619   SU  09/09/07  11:00pm  00:56:53        (CC) (DVS) ST
   (36-1) "Egypt"                                                  618   FR  09/14/07  11:00pm  00:56:07        (CC) (DVS) ST
   (36-1) "Alaska"                                                 620   SU  09/16/07  11:00pm  00:56:38        (CC) (DVS) ST
   (36-1) "Ecuador & The Galapagos Islands"                        619   FR  09/28/07  11:00pm  00:56:53  (RPT) (CC) (DVS) ST

The complete alphabetical listing is at http://www.mptv.org/webalfaht.txt
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

waterhead

My info came from my PVR guide data. So it seems that they are updating the program info that is send to the guide people.

cjucoder

Tom and waterhead, Thanks so much for looking up those for me !!!  I'll just have to schedule them manually.  Other PBS recordings I've done from the guide have been the wrong program recently.  I'll just have to be patient and use the web to know what's on our PBS chans for a while (I hope it is just a short while).

I suspect that Gemstar guide users like me are at the bottom of the priority list, just because I suspect we are the fewest in numbers compared to other guides.   Then again that is assuming it is PBS's fault, which I don't know if that is the case.  I wonder if Tivo has the correct PBS data?

Again, thanks! :wave:

waterhead

Your DVR/PVR  may download several weeks of data. You may have to force it to redownload all the data again. Maybe go through the setup again, as if it were new.

StarvingForHDTV

I tuned in last night and saw that Soundstage was letterboxed.  Is 36-1 going to show anything in HD, or is everything going to be SD now?

waterhead

Here is a copy of my post on the first page of this thread. It contains the announcement from the MPTV web site. I highlighted the relevant section.
QuoteMPTV Expands HD Simulcast
Monday, August 20, 2007
Milwaukee Public Television will begin simulcasting major portions of its daily broadcasts on MPTV-10, its primary television channel, and its high definition channel, MPTV-HD on Saturday, Sept. 1.

The station will show the same programs on MPTV-10 and its high definition channel (MPTV 36-1 or Time Warner Cable 550) from 7 a.m. until midnight on Saturdays. This Old House, Outdoor Wisconsin, Lidia's Italy, and Austin City Limits along with other favorites will air the same day at the same time on both stations.

Sunday programs will be simulcast from 8 p.m. until midnight except on Sept. 23 and 30, when Ken Burns' The War begins at 7 p.m. The 14-hour World War II epic will be simulcast in its entirety.

During the week, programs will be simulcast from 6 p.m. until midnight Monday through Friday. Promotion messages and programs that have not been recorded in high definition may have black borders on some TV sets.
A pioneer in digital and high definition broadcasting, MPTV began carrying high definition programming on MPTV-HD 24 hours a day in 2003. In February, 2009, traditional (analog) TV transmission is scheduled to cease and be replaced by digital broadcasting throughout the country at both public and private television stations.
I also included a screenshot of the original message.

SIDE NOTE:
I couldn't figure out how to get it to show the image in the post. Using the IMG and /IMG, in brackets, didn't work. Does this forum support displaying images, if so, how do I do it?

Paul

Bebop

I guess not every forum has the  [IMG] code turned "On". Why is that? Or someone just forgot?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

StarvingForHDTV

Quote from: waterhead;40642programs that have not been recorded in high definition may have black borders on some TV sets.

Does this mean that MPTV had to record them in high definition, or that they have to be produced in high definition?

Either way, It is a shame to see Widescreen and HD material letterboxed on the "HD" channel.

waterhead

Not all shows have been recorded in the HD format. They can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  I have to assume that MPTV will give us a HD program if a HD feed is available.

Bebop

I watched a few minutes of Mystery on 36 last night. It was bad. It's in a letter box format with pillars. :(

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

StarvingForHDTV

Quote from: waterhead;40651I have to assume that MPTV will give us a HD program if a HD feed is available.

So far your assumption has been completely wrong.  I hope they figure this out soon.

waterhead

Quote from: StarvingForHDTV;40656So far your assumption has been completely wrong.  I hope they figure this out soon.

You're basing this on what? One or two programs that were not even recorded in HD?

I have been too busy to watch any TV this weekend, so I don't know if any true HD programs were broadcast. On the weekends they air a lot of old programs, non of which are in HD.

I'll have to check next time a true HD show is on. Something like NOVA or the History Detectives.

Update:

I see that The History detectives is on tonight at 8:00. The guide in BeyondTV does not list it as being HD. :(

I may still be correct. It could be that PBS is not providing a HD stream for the main program feed. That would sure suck! :bang:

Paul

SRW1000

Quote from: waterhead;40657You're basing this on what? One or two programs that were not even recorded in HD?

I have been too busy to watch any TV this weekend, so I don't know if any true HD programs were broadcast. On the weekends they air a lot of old programs, non of which are in HD.

I'll have to check next time a true HD show is on. Something like NOVA or the History Detectives.

Update:

I see that The History detectives is on tonight at 8:00. The guide in BeyondTV does not list it as being HD. :(

I may still be correct. It could be that PBS is not providing a HD stream for the main program feed. That would sure suck! :bang:

Paul
History Detectives is in SD widescreen, not HD, if I remember correctly.

I will say that I also saw some HD shows (America's Test Kitchen) which are recorded in HD, but were shown on 36.1 this weekend with black bars on the top and sides.

Hopefully this is just a temporary situation.

Scott

Bebop

Quote from: SRW1000;40658History Detectives is in SD widescreen, not HD, if I remember correctly.

Scott

Either that or my eyes are getting bad. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

waterhead

Quote from: StarvingForHDTV;40656So far your assumption has been completely wrong.  I hope they figure this out soon.

I have watched 36-1 since Monday, and it appears that my assumption is right on the mark. Shows that are recorded and provided in a HD format are shown that way. Shows that are in a 4:3 format have black boarders.