• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Roadrunner Speeds go up in Milwaukee

Started by LowSignal, Monday Aug 06, 2007, 09:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S.

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Tom Snyder;40338How in holy heck are you getting 18 UP?????? Even the $1000 a month package only gives you 2 MB up!
I cheated and did that from work...it's from my desktop...we have 1G fiber to the office.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

jeffski

Bebop

Quote from: Dan the Man;40328:(:(  
I only got a marginal improvement here in Germantown....

Before reboot:

After reboot:

I have a 2+ year old Terayon TJ715X modem. I wonder if a modem swap would change that?

I have the same modem and getting the new upgraded speed. Try different time of day and make sure other bandwidth using app and devices are off.  Also use the Minnesota server, sometime I can faster speed from it than Chicago.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;40343I cheated and did that from work...it's from my desktop...we have 1G fiber to the office.

Too bad we can't subtract Rep Power points. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LoadStar

If you're on RoadRunner, use the local RoadRunner speedtest: http://speedtest.wi.rr.com/ - that way, your test won't be influenced by traffic entering/leaving the RR network.

Of course, your results will then be somewhat "artificial" in that they won't represent what you really will get on a daily basis, but it will tell you fairly accurately what your cap is set to.

Also, make sure you're testing on a wired network, not wireless, and if possible do it while directly connected to the modem (to eliminate any overhead coming from your router.)

vetrev

Here's what I get at Concordia University. Not too shabby!

As a result of this forum, I called Time Warner and checked what I was paying for RoadRunner. My yearly special had just expired (29.95 only applies to new customers) so they were charging me $45! She offered a $38 plan for one year. I inquired about RR Turbo and she said it was on special for $5 more. I decided to go with that. Now my residential download speed is about 12,000 and upload 1500. Thanks for all the interesting comments!

Bebop

My six months special pricing from Earthlink is up. I think I 'll going back to TW for their special on the Turbo package. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Mykroft

Quote from: Tom Snyder;40275But I was also just told that she was "fairly certain" that no residential customers are getting 7 – 15mb down.  

Are any of you guys getting these higher speeds with residential service? And if so, can I ask what you're paying (residential and business class alike)?

As usual the sales reps are wrong.  ALL customers are getting speed increases.  I have residential RR Turbo, and I'm now getting 13Mbit downstream. I'm still getting a very slow 360kbps upstream, although most other residential users in the area are reporting up to1Mbit upstream now.

Bebop

Joined the Turbo club today for $39 a month. Let's see if my bill would only go up by $5 one year from now. It's not a bad deal considering I was paying $45 for 5Mb/385k few weeks ago.:)

My upload is supposed to be 1.5Mb. I will call them to see if it was a mistake.

Wow. It's blast to play with Google Earth now.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

MarkK

I have RR Lite, and have seen no speed increase.  (yes, I rebooted...) Still at about 750k up and 375k down.

The price is $27/month though, so it's not all bad.

brewtownska

I too have RR Lite now at that $27 price.  I dropped the full speed RR about 4 months ago, but it took them about 2.5months before they actually dropped my speed down.  I think that's all done in the firmware sent to the modem, but I could be wrong.  I tried called TWC customer service one night, but waited on hold for 20 minutes before hanging up.  I really want to ask them if there are plans to up the RR Lite speed.  For the price we are paying, we could easily be getting DSL, which would probably be faster, for less money.  I think TWC should up the RR Lite speed a bit to compete.

If anyone has a chance to talk to a TWC Customer Care person, please update us on what they have to say about RR Lite and any possible speed updates.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Tom Snyder

QuoteRR Lite, and have seen no speed increase. (yes, I rebooted...) Still at about 750k up and 375k down.
I have ATT DSL at home... 2.5M  down, 750k up... for $19 a month.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Bebop

Quote from: MarkK;40426I have RR Lite, and have seen no speed increase.  (yes, I rebooted...) Still at about 750k up and 375k down.

The price is $27/month though, so it's not all bad.

RR is running a 7Mb/512k special now for $29 and $22 if you have any kind of service with them. Call them to see if you can upgrade and get that price for a year.

If your point is to save money, Tom's advice on DSL is probably better if you can get DSL.

TW has a 24/7 service, call them at anytime.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

RLJSlick

Yeah my speed went up also, and I have the normal $40 RR, I went from 4900/370 to 6900/ 500 rounded off.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System