• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Our reputation

Started by Tom Snyder, Thursday Oct 11, 2007, 02:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

So is HDTV the exclusive realm of geeks?  

The Milwaukee Business Journal has a quarterly magazine called Executive Living, and the next issue is going to have a piece on High Definition TV.  So they contacted me as an "expert," and sent out a photographer to take some pictures.

While I was setting up the appointment with the photographer over the phone, he seemed overly concerned with what I'd be wearing for the shoot. I wondered why until he got here this morning, saw me in a sport coat and turtleneck and with a surprised look blurted out "Oh... they told me you'd probably be a geek!"

I'm not sure but I think that was a compliment.  :huh?:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Gregg Lengling

Well you are a Geek, Just a well dressed Geek.:D
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

Hey! I represent that remark! :p
Tom Snyder

gparris

Tom, that is the impression I get that from many folks when they see our consultants (or others) come over and review their the requests for HT setups and so on.

We don't look or act like "geeks", nor do we want to be, it's just a thing the interviewer had in his head, sorry to say.
All of the folks on our team talk in their language (the clients), no techno-babble, just straight information and questions, until they got what they want in HDTV/HT setups.

I am certain you were a great interview and look forward to the article.
-thanks for representing all of us!:wave:

Tom Snyder

The woman who interviewed me said that I really explained things quite clearly... but this stuff really isn't THAT hard to understand. Unfortunately, most people don't even want to try and understand it because it really doesn't matter to them.  They just want to turn on their TV and see their shows.  

"High Definition? Yeah.. I get Hi Def... that's what it says on my screen at the beginning of the Packer game, so I must be getting it. Best picture I've ever gotten on my 20 year old Magnavox!"
Tom Snyder

gparris

Sorry, see...I made the assumption that it was a man vs. the woman that came to interview you.
As far as the saying they just want to watch their (HD)TV, you are so right.
But if HD product(s) get easier to understand along with maybe our forum helping out in this transition, that "whole HD thing" will easier for the average person...J6P (Joe Six Pack).:D

SRW1000

Quote from: Tom Snyder;41412So is HDTV the exclusive realm of geeks?
I don't think you have to be a geek to own an HDTV, but I think you do have to be a geek to understand it.

Just try to explain the different versions of HDMI to a non-geek.  They'll either run in terror, or turn comatose during the experience.

On the other hand, HDTV is relatively simple in concept, but the different permeation of viewing options and equipment have made it hard for the average person to understand.  It's just not worth the effort, so they'll buy something that looks good, and may manage to hook it up correctly.  Or they'll go to a geek.

I wouldn't take offence at being called a geek, and I even embrace it.  While it used to be a derogatory term used to signify a person with few social skills who just happened to be smart, it's now shifted to a smart guy who may or may not be lacking in social skills.  The put-down element has been surpassed by the knowledge aspect.  Embrace it.  

Besides, it usually means you make a lot of money.

Scott

gparris

Best Buy has the "Geek Squad", hardly a name they would use if it was a bad thing.
"Chuck" on NBC has the fictional (but oh-so-true) "Nerd Herd"
- now that sounds a bit less sensitive, at least to me, but I'm okay with it.

Bill Gates could be considered a Geek or Nerd and nobody's laughing, either.:D

Forums like ours are what the average consumer, or J6P turns to when the HDTV set at his buddy's house looks a lot better than his, and its not about size, either.
He goes to the internet, goes to HDTV or something close - maybe he (or she) gets to this forum or somewhere close.
-Maybe his HDTV is not setup right and so on - so we get called (or consulted with as in consultants like me)...great business for us be it hobby or real business!:)