• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV Tivo DVR Will Get an Upgrade In 08

Started by Bebop, Tuesday Jul 31, 2007, 11:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebop

http://investor.tivo.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=257482

I don't see the logic in this, since most of us will the HR-20 by the end of the year. It would have been nice if the update was 2 years ago.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Youth Minister

And what I don't get is that D* has abandoned the TiVo service in favor of their own "private label" crappy technology.  When my TiVo box died last year, I was informed they were "switching" and I could no longer get a TiVo -based unit.

So, does this mean that D* has realized that their own junk as caused so many problems/issues and has left so many of their loyal customers hanging out to dry that this "upgrade" will in fact be made to their proprietary equipment and we will all once again be filled with happy-happy, joy-joy as TiVo users again?

Bluto

Junk?  I have two HR20s and they work very well.  I haven't had a problem with either of them.

the_heller

Yeah, but these updates still won't allow you to get the new HD programming (from what I gathered from this minute press release).

Steve Mann

Quote from: the_heller;40163Yeah, but these updates still won't allow you to get the new HD programming (from what I gathered from this minute press release).

The issue with the new channels is a hardware issue. No software update is going to give any existing HD Tivo the ability to decode the new MPEG4 HD channels on D*.

That's why I called last night and ordered my first HR20.  :(  I feel like I've betrayed an old friend. Me and Tivo go WAY back... My wife and I even have vanity plates. "TIVOGUY" and "TIVOGAL".

It's a sad day.. but I have hopes that there is a new line of communication opening up between Tivo and D* base upon the recently news releases. If we're lucky, in a year there will be a new HD Tivo that will be able to receive MPEG4 signals and I'll be switching RIGHT back.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Ex Direcway

Quote from: Youth Minister;40149And what I don't get is that D* has abandoned the TiVo service in favor of their own "private label" crappy technology.  When my TiVo box died last year, I was informed they were "switching" and I could no longer get a TiVo -based unit.

So, does this mean that D* has realized that their own junk as caused so many problems/issues and has left so many of their loyal customers hanging out to dry that this "upgrade" will in fact be made to their proprietary equipment and we will all once again be filled with happy-happy, joy-joy as TiVo users again?

I actually like my HR20 better than the HR10-250!  I never have to worry about it locking up constantly every other day & it's nice having the locals in HD now as I am on the fringe for consistent OTA.  All around IMO it is a better unit & oh sooooo quiet!
  :cool:

Ex Direcway

Quote from: Steve Mann;40168It's a sad day.. but I have hopes that there is a new line of communication opening up between Tivo and D* base upon the recently news releases. If we're lucky, in a year there will be a new HD Tivo that will be able to receive MPEG4 signals and I'll be switching RIGHT back.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised, you will miss the DLB at first but that is easily bypassed by recording the shows & deleting when done.  :)

Steve Mann

Quote from: Ex Direcway;40173I think you will be pleasantly surprised, you will miss the DLB at first but that is easily bypassed by recording the shows & deleting when done.  :)

Doubt it. Unlike you, I never had any problems with my HR10 locking up and I've had rock solid local HD channels with it from the beginning. So, it sounds like I have nothing to gain and plenty to loose with the upgrade.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

Matt Heebner

I just had the old dish swapped for a new 5 LNB slimline, and a new HR20. I put  the HR10-250 into the bedroom.
First impressions of the HR20....not quite as bad as I have heard or what I thought . Yes, it's not Tivo (and I lub my Tivo's !!), but it seems to work pretty good. I am still deciding whether this thing is about as good as Tivo, or if I am just way too familiar with using a Tivo based DVR.

Oh, and football season will see about losing the dual buffers.....thats when I used them extensively. I guess there is a workaround that is slightly more clumsy, but works. Still reading up at DBSTALK.com

Ex Direcway

Quote from: Matt Heebner;40178I just had the old dish swapped for a new 5 LNB slimline, and a new HR20. I put  the HR10-250 into the bedroom.
First impressions of the HR20....not quite as bad as I have heard or what I thought . Yes, it's not Tivo (and I lub my Tivo's !!), but it seems to work pretty good.

The OTA reception is much better with the HR20 also as I pick up Green Bay stations now at night & in the morning.  I am even thinking about relocating  my square shooter outside this fall when its not so hot in my attic.

Steve Mann

Quote from: Matt Heebner;40178I just had the old dish swapped for a new 5 LNB slimline, and a new HR20. I put  the HR10-250 into the bedroom.
First impressions of the HR20....not quite as bad as I have heard or what I thought . Yes, it's not Tivo (and I lub my Tivo's !!), but it seems to work pretty good. I am still deciding whether this thing is about as good as Tivo, or if I am just way too familiar with using a Tivo based DVR.

Exactly. That's going to be part of the equation. The 'old dog, new tricks' factor. I'm sure that will be part of my initial dislike of the HR20. I'll either grow to like it, ignore it's shortcomings, or get something better as soon as it's available.

QuoteOh, and football season will see about losing the dual buffers.....thats when I used them extensively. I guess there is a workaround that is slightly more clumsy, but works. Still reading up at DBSTALK.com

Yup. It won't take long at all to be exposed to it's biggest of all shortcomings.  :(

But, getting the NFL Network in HD, might make up for part of it.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

chadl11

Quote from: Ex Direcway;40173you will miss the DLB at first  :)

Okay, I'm going to sound like an idiot, but what's the DLB and how do I use it now and what will I not be able to do with the HR20?

Bluto

Dual live buffers, which allows you to watch two games (shows) at once.

You can do something similar by recording both games, and jumping back and forth between recordings.  But from what I've heard, it's a more ackward process than using DLB.

chadl11

I'm assuming that's the "Live TV" button on my HR10 that allows me to flip back and forth between 2 shows going on at the same time.

Is this a feature on the HR20?

Bluto

I'm not a HR10 guy - never had one - but yes, I believe that's the same as DLB.  And no, the HR20 doesn't have an easy way of doing that.  You basically have to record both shows and bounce back and forth between recordings to get th same feature.  Based ont he way you describe 'Live TV' on the HR10, the HR10's way is much simplier.