News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Mitsubishi WS-65908

Started by Steve Mann, Thursday Jul 19, 2007, 10:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Mann

Hey guys...

Looks like I'm about ready to start finishing the basement off at the new house for the home theater. Only been there two years now.  :-o

I'm going with a Panasonic AX100U projector. I won't have room for my WONDERFUL Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series RP TV any more. This is really sad... I've loved that TV.

I'm wondering if anyone might know what this is worth if I try to sell it? I can't seem to find any online. It's the best of the line and they don't make the RP TVs any more (which we all know has the best picture).

Appreciate any thoughts... plus, I'll be back with more questions as I start on the theater project.

Thanks!
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

MDR

Cord Cutter

ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

AndrewP

Quote from: Steve Mann;40045It's the best of the line and they don't make the RP TVs any more (which we all know has the best picture)

No, RP do not have the best picture.

I thought so half year ago too, when I had Hitachi 61" RP HD, I thought it is impossible to have better picture, but...
In November we got 1080p Sony SXRD 50" and later in November Hitachi was replaced by extended warranty (they could not fix sound problems) with 1080p 65" Mitsubishi DLP. I'll tell you now the picture on both TVs are much better then it was on RP.

Matt Heebner

I usually let things like this slide right on by, but this time I HAVE to stand up for my RPTV brother out there.
Actually a calibrated good quailty RPTV like a Mits will just about blow the doors off a LCP,DLP. or any other fixed pixel disply. However they are getting better with blacks and contrasts, and grey scale (the  true marks of a high end display).
Here is an excerpt from Home Theater Spot where a quite a few calibrators hang out and discuss such items.....This being from MR BOB, a respected calibrator.

QuoteWith all the hoopla around the new fixed pixel units - which is all we hear about these days and which of course is just what their manufacturers want, considering how expensive they are - it's easy to lose sight of tried and true triple-gun CRT technology.

IMHO, it is still the best. It still has the best blacks, it does 1080i effortlessly, (and could do 1080p just as well), and the color range and depth when properly set up and calibrated has always been thrilling. And size? When fully calibrated, it allows for viewers to sit far closer than most fixed pixel technology, delivering an essentially BIGGER picture to be watching, and losing yourself in. Isn't that really what it's all about?

Try to sit that close to fixed pixel technology and much of the time you are staring individual pixels in the face, with massive screendoor effect. CRT is the only medium where its smoothness and yet incredibly high resolution contributes to exquisite detail, without the artificial crispness of most of today's fixed pixel technologies.

Yet videophiles right and left are abandoning their CRT RPTVs in favor of the newer fixed pixel stuff. It's saddening. They have no idea what they are losing. CRT RPTVs can be kept looking better than new for 10-15 years when treated right. And produce better images, all that time, than most fixed pixel technology.

Both Pioneer and Hitachi have already discontinued CRT RPTV production. At CES this year I saw NO CRT technology being promoted. Yet it is still the best easily available technolgy out there, and these days the absolutely cheapest way to go as well. CRT RPTVs are the deal of the century right now, if you check on comparative prices, even factoring in calibrations.

Pioneer Elite owners seem to be the ones most willing to keep their sets alive, possibly because they paid so much for them back in the day. Other brands of set were cheaper and are even cheaper still now, causing their owners to more often than not just step into something new rather than keep their current sets alive. Yet ALL CRT sets can be made to look stunning, with the proper care and maintenance of professional optics cleaning and calibration. Even the cheapest brand has incredible potential, when treated properly.

I hope more people will see the light on this before it's taken away. More and more manufacturers will continue to discontinue CRT technology, its days are numbered. We should hold on for dear life, because once they are gone, they are gone. I for one will not part with my year 2000 65" Panasonic CRT RPTV. They will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands!

If you have a triple-gun CRT RPTV, PLEASE reconsider if you are about to kiss it off. It's still the best way to go, once calibrated.

And calibration is a whole lot cheaper than buying and paying taxes on a new fixed pixel set.

Taken from this thread :
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/132668/fromsearch/1/tp/1/

Blitzburgh

I agree 100% a Mits RP DLP will blow the doors off of that SXRD or any LCD and so on.

Ooops thought we were talking about DLP, my bad. Not knowledgable on CRT RP's.

Hand down Mits DLP's are amazing :D

Steve Mann

Thanks, Matt and Blitz...

I was going to argue the point initially, but wasn't able to look up the facts at the time. I'm glad Matt did my heavy work.  :-)

I really don't think the fact is challenged, by anyone in the know, that CRT rear projection still has the best picture. Now, it has it's trade offs certainly. Size for one thing. But on a tweaked CRT set, the others all fall a bit short. To some, these differences are small.

However, CRT RP has seen it's better days. I think there are only one or two models that are still being made. It's a superior technology that will be abandoned for over all look, space and convenience.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

Bebop

There is still hope. Turn tables and LPs are making a come back. Old technologies are not dead yet.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Blitzburgh

Quote from: Steve Mann;40063Thanks, Matt and Blitz...

I was going to argue the point initially, but wasn't able to look up the facts at the time. I'm glad Matt did my heavy work.  :-)

I really don't think the fact is challenged, by anyone in the know, that CRT rear projection still has the best picture. Now, it has it's trade offs certainly. Size for one thing. But on a tweaked CRT set, the others all fall a bit short. To some, these differences are small.

However, CRT RP has seen it's better days. I think there are only one or two models that are still being made. It's a superior technology that will be abandoned for over all look, space and convenience.

Is not a RP DLP far better than a CRT? I think so.

Steve Mann

Quote from: Blitzburgh;40067Is not a RP DLP far better than a CRT? I think so.

Most will tell you no, the DLP is not better than the CRT in picture quality. The DLPs are getting much better, but they still lack in true blacks and shadow detail. Do some Googling on the subject matter and you'll see.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater