News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Channel 6 turned down their signal power?

Started by westbendhdfan, Wednesday Aug 08, 2007, 06:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbendhdfan

I used to be able to receive Channel 6 off-air very strongly for over 2 years and recently I am having trouble receiving it.  Previously I used a non-amplified indoor antenna from Fleet Farm on my mantle but I recently installed an amplified SquareShooter SS-2000 on my roof aimed according to antennaweb.com.  I have a Samsung SP-R4232 TV connected to a DirecTV HR10-250.  I am replacing the D* box soon with an HR20.  The signal meter on the TV shows 2 bars for Channel 6 and 4 or 5 bars for all other HD channels.  I have no problems with any other HD channels (except for 10's but we don't watch those anyway).  The really stupid part of this (to me) is that I can receive 6-1 using the TV tuner reliably but I can't get it at all on the D* box.  I tried moving the antenna slightly and this is the best position for all other stations.  A couple of questions for the group:

1.  Is Channel 6 screwing around with their transmitter?
2.  Is it possible that the tuner built into the TV is better than the D* tuner?  I would think digital is digital and you either get it or you don't.
3.  Without putting up a huge mast and an "ugly" wire antenna, does the group have any suggestions for me?  I would incur the wrath of the neighborhood if I did that.

I live on the south end of West Bend (almost Jackson).  Thanks.

:bang:

StarvingForHDTV

Quote from: westbendhdfan;402622.  Is it possible that the tuner built into the TV is better than the D* tuner?  I would think digital is digital and you either get it or you don't.

Yes, there are differences in tuners.  Some work better than others.

RCNUT

Hey WB HD
   I live ESE of you about 4-5 miles east of Hwy P I have no problem with 6-1, with that being said I have had issues with the 10-250 ever since (D) did a software upgrade last fall with the OTA locals. However 6-1 was not the problem 10-5 & 12-1 was. And yes I agree tuners do make a difference. (D) upgraded me to the new HR10-100 and XXXX I wish there was a way to make the old 10-250 get the new channels. I am on my 3rd unit with a 4th replacement being sent out today. The 1st one had a bad optical in jacks, I think they have a bad batch of chassis connector because the cable fits very loose. The 2nd had breaks ups on recording and 36-1. 3rd stills has breaks ups on 36-1 and recording is better but not as good as what the 10-250 was, well after 3 days the analog audio has gone out, hence the 4th replacement is on the way.  The optical are a little better but not what my sony receiver, TV, BD player ETC are. 36-1 works fine on the TV's tuner!.
   Oh  it only took 2- HR20?  (NON DVR) to get one that the HDMI works. I'M glad my 401K is not in the Company that makes these HD-DVR's. Good Luck!!