News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SonyUSA has Their New Blu-Ray In Stock

Started by Stanley Kritzik, Wednesday Jun 20, 2007, 11:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Quote from: Bigdog;39952I also picked up the BD version of Planet Earth after seeing it on DiscoveryHD and it is amazing. Right now I have to play it on my PS3 but will be getting the the new Samsung HD/BD combination player that comes out this fall.

Your PS3 should make it look every bit as good as it should be for PE on BD.
Nice you are thinking about getting another HD disc player, though...you are referring to the Samsung BDP-UP5000.

I am trying to find PE on BD for the least possible price right now.:D

Bigdog

The PS3 does look good and the latest firmware upgrades even upconverts standard DVDs to 1080 plus works as a media server grabbing pics, videos and music off my desktop PC through it's wireless connection. I won the PS3 at a work holiday party and even though I'm not a big gamer I was glad to win it for the BD player. I did end up getting the bluetooth remote for it to make playing movies easier.

Yep that is the Samsung player I was talking about. Hopefully it wont be too expensive as I'm going to have to upgrade my current Onkyo receiver to handle the newer HD formats on BD and HD DVD discs.

I got my PE BD from Walmart.com. They had the best delivered price when I ordered it (the week it was released).

gparris

Stanley Kritzik, when you have the time to do more setup and to reply we would all like to hear from you with your comments about this new Sony BD player.

Bigdog, I will post a listing of the Samsung combo player once it materializes in our forum's high definition player section listings I have setup.
Your input will be appreciated, too, as well as Stan's.

Thanks in advance to both of you. :wave:

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: gparris;39977Stanley Kritzik, when you have the time to do more setup and to reply we would all like to hear from you with your comments about this new Sony BD player.

Bigdog, I will post a listing of the Samsung combo player once it materializes in our forum's high definition player section listings I have setup.
Your input will be appreciated, too, as well as Stan's.

Thanks in advance to both of you. :wave:

Sorry for the delay, but late June and early/mid July have been filled with travel.  I hope to complete my setup work later in July or early August, and I'll be back with my results and comments ASAP.

Stan

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: gparris;39829While I do not know if you have setup your 5200ES AVR for 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 speakers, the great on-screen setup on this 5200ES AVR will guide you through the surround settings to accept PCM for audio.
First setup the video/audio output from the S300 as it goes into one of the HDMI inputs to the 5200ES  and from the "Monitor Out" of the 5200 ES AVR to your HDMI input on the Aquos.
Secondly, set output from the AVR to output that 1080i video signal for the Aquos making sure to set the S300 to PCM audio output and the S300 will output DD at 640kbps on "Planet Earth" (its maximum audio authoring) and for Dolby TRUEHD, try the movie "Ghost Rider" on Blu-ray disc with 5.1 channels (example).
The 5200ES will, if you follow the setup correctly, wrap the 5.1 surround to 7.1 backs with Dolby Prologic llx (if you have these backs) for a more immersive surround sound even older ears (like mine and yours) can hear.
The PCM audio will deliver lossless audio that you WILL hear, believe me.
HDTV is about both fantastic video AND audio and your equipment will deliver both.

Glad you are enjoying your new Blu-ray player...now get some more BD discs - buy or rent (Netflix).:D
Hope my suggestions assist you if you haven't done this already.;)

So, I finally got to paying attention to the Sony S300 Blu-ray feeding the Sony DA5200ES receiver and the Sharp Aquos screen.  Here are my reactions, with a note: due to remodeling, I haven't been able to connect my surround speakers or 7.1 backs, but I do have a subwoofer and a front center connectd.  Also, the only Blu-ray DVDs (or B Ds as Sony calls them) that I have is the Planet Earth series.

First, the video is sensational, as one would suspect.  This series could sell anyone on HDTV.

Second, I was able to use most default sound values for the S300 and the 5200ES, feeding the receiver with HDMI from the Blu-ray.  As the Blu-ray plays, the 5200ES has a graphical display that tells you what's going on, which speakers are active, etc.  So, from the point of loading the disk, here's what shows:

At load time: Linear PCM 48kHz
                      SW   L          R

In the prologue stuff:  Dolby Digital [2/0]
                      SW   L          R

When the program really starts:  Dolby Digital [3/2.1]
                     SW   L    C    R
                    LFE   SL         SR   dd digital

I confess I don't know what all the numbers, etc. mean, but LFE is "Low Frequency Effect", and the "dd digital" is the Dolby symbol (with one "d" backward), and "SL" and "SR" indicates surround sound.  And, of course, sub, left, center and right main sound are showing.

So, to the best of my ability, there it is.  I think we can look forward to some pretty great A/V equipment over time.  I hope my "reporting" helps, any any observations are most welcome.

Stan

gparris

Stan, the 5200ES graphical interface will show the side and back surrounds when these are finally connected to allow for more of an immersive and seemless surround...please let us know how this works for you.
The correct setting for the surround backs on the Sony will be Dolby Prologic llx, or DPLllx working in conjuction with the DD5.1 surround audio with the "x" being the back surrounds matrixed in stereo for complete surround "steering effects".

PE has so-so audio, just basic DD5.1, but it excells in the visual-you're correct there.
If you want to to make it special, get "Crank", "Descent" (show up as 7.1 on my Denon AVRs) or even "Blackhawk Down", "Kingdom of Heaven" and many others for great audio surround sound.

Check our the main forum page for highdefdigest listings for the best in Blu-ray disc selection.
Keep up the reviews and the feedback please and thanks for the report!:wave: