• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Blockbuster to Carry Only Blu-Ray in Stores.

Started by Bebop, Sunday Jun 17, 2007, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tywest

Sweet!
I was wondering if they were ever going to start with either one of the formats. Thankfully I have a Blu-Ray player.

smack

Pound, Pound, Pound.........The sound of another nail.

LowSignal

They didn't carry Xbox 360 games at first either because they didn't think the 360 was going to be successful.

smack

I think an important part of their reasoning is where they state they have seen consumers choosing the Blu-Ray over HD-DVD by a pretty wide margin (not in the linked article here, but over at AVS).

Additionally, there are just more studios and titles on Blu-Ray.

The war is not over yet, but Blu-Ray certainly seems to be winning some key battles.

SRW1000

Quote from: smack;39716I think an important part of their reasoning is where they state they have seen consumers choosing the Blu-Ray over HD-DVD by a pretty wide margin (not in the linked article here, but over at AVS).

Additionally, there are just more studios and titles on Blu-Ray.

The war is not over yet, but Blu-ray certainly seems to be winning some key battles.
I think it's way too early to call this one.  Title for title, the two formats are just about even, while Blu-ray does have more studio support and a sales advantage.

The big plus for HD DVD is player prices at about half the cost of the Blu-ray counterpart.  This cost difference is expected to continue into the all-important Christmas shopping season.

To date, neither format has sold anything close to what's required to be a success.  There will have to be a lot more average consumers getting involved for the war to be over.  The question will be if they're pulled in through additional PS3 sales, or sub-$200 HD DVD players.

Scott

LowSignal

Kinda stupid (but knowing how most people in charge are) Did they include PS3 games as bluray rentals? That would really make the numbers look good, I bet more people rent PS3 games then bluray movies and HDDVD movies combined.

Bebop

You can still get HD DVDs from their on-line store.

Maybe they just don't want to over burden their store clerks with remembering the difference between HD DVD and Blu-ray?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

brewtownska

LowSignal,

I find myself doing the exact opposite...renting more Blu-ray movied than PS3 games.  I have the Blockbuster online service, and they rent Blu-ray and HD-DVD online.  So I can get Blu-ray movied delivered for the same monthly fee and speed of service as regular DVD.  The Blockbuster store I go to rents their PS3 games at like $6.99 or $7.99, which seems very high to me.  I know that keeps me from renting more.  Luckily I get 2 free game rentals a month via Blockbuster online (I've been with the service for almost 2 years...I think people that sign up now only get 1 game rental a month).  So to me, my $18/month cost keeps me very happy with HD content.
I have read a lot of stuff on the AVS forums where early adopters bought a PS3 just as a movie player with no intentions of playing games.  To me, at this point there are not any PS3 games I'd want to own, so I will be just renting games until I find something worth my money.  But I'll probably go through 4-5 times as many Blu-ray movie rentals as I will game rentals.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii