• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Future of analog cable with Time Warner?

Started by PaulKTF, Sunday Jun 03, 2007, 07:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKTF

Does anyone know if Time Warner has announced if they're going to discontinue analog cable on 2/27/09?

I don't like the added hassle of the digital cable box (it would make programing my VCR pretty much impossible); so I'm hoping to stick with analog cable 'till the technology advances to the point that TVs just work with a cable plugged in like they do with analog, and they move beyond the need for the box. I hope the cable companies all come up with a single standard one day.
-Paul

LowSignal

I think once they go to switch digital in the near future you will have to have a box and or cable card for each TV.

LoadStar

Quote from: PaulKTF;39556Does anyone know if Time Warner has announced if they're going to discontinue analog cable on 2/27/09?

You mean 2/17/09? If so, that date only affects Over-The-Air broadcasters, and those who receive their television programming via an antenna. It has (almost) zero bearing on cable (MSO) operators. They can (and likely will, as far as I see) continue to transmit in analog past that date. There is, as far as I know, no date in which cable operators would have to switch to an all-digital operation.

PaulKTF

Quote from: LoadStar;39558You mean 2/17/09? If so, that date only affects Over-The-Air broadcasters, and those who receive their television programming via an antenna. It has (almost) zero bearing on cable (MSO) operators. They can (and likely will, as far as I see) continue to transmit in analog past that date. There is, as far as I know, no date in which cable operators would have to switch to an all-digital operation.

Oops! Yes, that's the date I meant. Thanks! :)
-Paul

Nels Harvey

Quote from: PaulKTF;39556Does anyone know if Time Warner has announced if they're going to discontinue analog cable on 2/27/09?

I don't like the added hassle of the digital cable box.

As I see it, the end of analog TV is going to be a boon for satellite and cable companies.  People without HD sets, or with other TV's, will need to use the cable, satellite, or set top boxes to watch any TV.

Most of their feeds are in-coming as digital as it is now, and they are sending them out as analog for non-digital receivers.  It will be necessary for them to down-convert the local feeds to analog as well.  This will be an additional expense.

Unfortunately, I would think this would be a great time for TW to require TW's digital cable boxes so they can increase revenue.  It will be very interesting come February 2009!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

gb4fan92

Quote from: PaulKTF;39556(it would make programing my VCR pretty much impossible);

I remember those. That's what people in the olden days used to use to record TV. Wow brings back memories!!:rof: :rof:

klwillis45

:confused: So you deal with a VCR but don't wanna use a digital box which could include a dvr and make life much simpler? A DVR box isn't much bigger than most VCRs so I'm not seeing the benefit here :confused:

PaulKTF

Quote from: klwillis45;39566:confused: So you deal with a VCR but don't wanna use a digital box which could include a dvr and make life much simpler? A DVR box isn't much bigger than most VCRs so I'm not seeing the benefit here :confused:

My faithful VCR is realy easy to program. I just can't stand the digital box's UI. We actually have a Time Warner DVR set top box on one of our TVs and I just plain don't like it. :)
-Paul

gparris

Quote from: PaulKTF;39569My faithful VCR is realy easy to program. I just can't stand the digital box's UI. We actually have a Time Warner DVR set top box on one of our TVs and I just plain don't like it. :)

You're scary, sort of, IMHO...if you can use a microwave oven, you can use a TWC DVR...ugh.

With VCRS, tapes can break, have low resolution pictures and offer nothing for decent audio (or HD video).
So unless you are using a digital VCR with an HD tuner from JVC or the like you will miss out on a terrific picture and audio.
VCRs do not allow recording one showwhile watching another, picture-in-picture...this is impossible with VCRs.

Do you have a "problem with DVD players, too, or don't you own one?:confused:

PaulKTF

Um.. My VCR allows me to record one program whille watching another.. My DVD player is great, yes. :)
-Paul

gparris

Quote from: PaulKTF;39572Um.. My VCR allows me to record one program whille watching another.. My DVD player is great, yes. :)

So glad the technology in your home is so up-to-date...do you own a HDTV?
(note this forum's namesake). :rolleyes:

If you do...VCRs output is horrific on HDTVs, I cannot comprehend why you wouldn't at least TRY to understand the interface for the HD DVR for picture and audio quality alone.:D

PaulKTF

Quote from: gparris;39573So glad the technology in your home is so up-to-date...do you own a HDTV?
(note this forum's namesake). :rolleyes:

If you do...VCRs output is horrific on HDTVs, I cannot comprehend why you wouldn't at least TRY to understand the interface for the HD DVR for picture and audio quality alone.:D

Nope; no HDTV. Not worth the price to me, and my 9 year old TV still works just fine as is. I saw it on a friends' TV and it looks nice but it's nothing I need in a TV.

And er... take a look at what sub-forum we're in.... :)
-Paul

picopir8

There is no requirement for cable to go all-digital.  They can stay analog, but it is a huge waste of bandwidth.  TWC would be all digital already except people who are presently unwilling to rent set top boxes would drop service all together and go with OTA or switch to a compeditor whos service might be cheaper if the cost of a box is thrown in the mix.  I predict TWC will go all digital once OTA analogs disappear because existing customers will have fewer alternatives.

As for cable companies coming up with a single standard.  Well there pretty much already is for cable, thats why you can use any device that supports cable card with almost every cable service. Satellite/Cable will always differ though because different modulation schemes are needed to address the different problems inherent in the different transmission mediums.

You dont have to toss the VCR once everything requires a digital tuner. Most digital tuners output composit, coax, and/or s-video so you could still use your VCR.  Most of the VCRs sold in the last decade have had IR blasters built in so they can change channels on an external device.  If your VCR does not even support that then there are still alternatives to using TWCs DVR.  You can get a Tivo, or build your own DVR out of an old computer.  Or you could even get a new VCR for dirt cheap now.  If you do have to ditch the VCR, consider yourself lucky, it outlasted tapes, floppy disks, cartrage video games, and just about every other storage media but their quality was questionable even 15-20 years ago.  The VCR has long outlived it usefulness and soon they will only be found in musums.

Mikey

A VCR over a DVR?

Well, I guess there is a first time for everything and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone offer that opinion.

I can set a show to record on my DVR in a few seconds, deal with no tapes, no rewinding, no fastforwarding, better video quality/sound quality and record a show while watching another or record 2 shows at the same time.

Then when I want to watch a recorded show, press the list to see what I've recorded press the arrow to move up or down and choose it and voila, it is on the screen.  No shuffling tapes, labeling tapes, fast forwarding to see where on the tape the show is residing...

The DVR is a life changer for me.  I can't fathom how you'd choose to deal with a VCR over a DVR.

klwillis45

^^Couldn't agree more. Plus, throw in the fact that you can set a season pass and record only new episodes and its a real no brainer for me. The only drawback to my DVRs is I now probably watch too much tv (if that's possible). But hey, it takes alot less time and is much more convienent since sports are about the only "live tv" I watch now.