• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Panasonic Blu-ray player!

Started by gparris, Tuesday May 15, 2007, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

For those "fence-sitters" who could care less about gaming, maybe want to use an IR remote
and get their Blu-ray High Definition DVD "fix"
(or are still waiting for TWC to add CinemaxHD and StarzHD to their mix of HD available channels)
 - here's another Blu-ray player option:
This model adds the "A" suffix to the player, contains the DolbyTRUEHD and DTS HD (HR, not MA) along with 1080p playback and DVD upconversion, including DVD-A and CD playback
-all for $599 (same as price as listed for the PS3).
To get you "motivated", five popular BD discs come with it (you fill out a form and mail).
Personally speaking, I have the first model (without the "A") and just recently upgraded it to the newer HD audio formats and it rocks (v2.0 from Panasonic).:D

I am updating our HD player section, now.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=117050&modelNo=Content05112007092938532&surfModel=Content05112007092938532

gparris

Looks like abtelectronics and Best Buy will be offering it about mid-to-late June for $599 plus the five free Blu-ray discs, probably (hopefully) inside the box.

I will double - check to make sure of the BB availablity
(reported in avsforums), but it sounds about right.:D

EDIT: Checked with Best Buy Magnolia and they will have it around Father's Day!

gparris

:D The Panasonic DMP-BD10A is available at most Best Buy stores today, though quantities are limited to mostly 2 per store so far.
The current price is $599.99 - please note that it is the same exact BD player as the original model, less the "A" suffix from its original introduction last year, only then its MSRP was $1299.99!

I just got one from my local Best Buy - though Circuit City now has it listed on its website as has ABT Electronics.

This Blu-ray player's best features are its Dolby TRUEHD, DD+ and DTS-HD HR decoding built in and its ability to send this decoded audio through its 7.1 analogue inputs, a plus for anyone without a HDMI-equipped AV receiver.

Also included are five BD discs in the box, no waiting for the discs to arrive in the mail.:D

In my experience, the navigation and setup is fast and the DVD upconversion is excellent, too!

It not only met but exceeded my expectations and this is coming from someone who is already a PS3 owner.:D

Army82ndAB

Yeah I displayed that player last week Tuesday and my boss told me I could have the Blu-Ray movies, that was great...It looks like a really nice player and you seem to have backed that up!

gparris

Great since you work there you could take the discs home.
The first unit the store gets can be sold (as was the case with my preorder).
Then the second is used solely for display purposes until they can refer to you order it or pick it up from another store that has not sold the first one.
This will happen until their supply of this player is up to more than the two per store allocation, of course.
Thanks for your comments...hope you enjoy your BDs on you new 60A2020!:wave:

gparris

As with many high def DVD players out there, including both the Toshiba HD-DVD and the Blu-ray models manufactured, upgrades abound.
The Toshibas HD-A1 series have had to upgrade to v2.0, for example.

Now the Panasonic DMP-BD10 and DMP-BD10A upgraded to v2.2 using a simple but fast download to a CD-R disc and its done in a few minutes inside the player.

What was "new" this time?

Playback and DTS-HD HR enhancements, but I really couldn't tell the difference much all since the v2.0 that added DolbyTRUEHD and DTS-HD HR.:D

All I know is that when I playback "Crank" with PCM 6.1, the HDMI sends out "Multi IN 7.1" on my Denon AVR panels...it rocks!