• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV may test broadband on power lines

Started by Tom Snyder, Monday May 14, 2007, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

Satellite television provider DirecTV Group Inc. may test delivering high-speed Internet service through power lines in a major U.S. city in the next year, its chief executive said on Monday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1433448320070514?feedType=RSS&rpc=22
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Tom Snyder;39404Satellite television provider DirecTV Group Inc. may test delivering high-speed Internet service through power lines in a major U.S. city in the next year, its chief executive said on Monday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1433448320070514?feedType=RSS&rpc=22

I wouldn't put any faith in that, there is a big uproar as to the nature of the beast causes interference to Public Safety, Military and Amateur Radio frequencies....this is a lost cause...I can't believe someone like D* would even consider it.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Ex Direcway

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;39417I wouldn't put any faith in that, there is a big uproar as to the nature of the beast causes interference to Public Safety, Military and Amateur Radio frequencies....this is a lost cause...I can't believe someone like D* would even consider it.

I believe D*'s new owners have a lot of investment in BPL, that is probably why they are taking that route.

Bebop

They don't have any other choice. Their competitors owned every other infrastructures for broadband. They will be testing only in one city.

I have read about broadband over powerline, but has anyone actually has success implementing it?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun