• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Geek Squad = Bad Advice

Started by gparris, Thursday May 03, 2007, 07:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Interesting thing happened at the local BB store the other day- the Geek Squad there "short circuited", er, offered bad advice, then I got the customer as a potential client.
First of all, the customer has a HTR-5940  which the Geek said was HDMI capable even though there is no HDMI port anywhere on the unit.
Secondly, the customer purchased a DVD-HD1080P from Samsung based on this advice.
When this customer asked their technician (installer) to identify the HDMI port (as directed to do so by me) the technician told the buyer/customer that you didn't need HDMI, as the proximity of the components to the Plasma Screen didn't require it.  
He continued to say that you only use HDMI when you have a considerable distance to run cables between the Components and the Monitor, the monitor of which is HDMI capable.
On top of that, the customer was told that the upconversion process desired by the customer (by buying into this setup) will work "just fine".
I am certain that many BB employees are knowledgeable, but when your friends put their trust into those advertised to be trusted, it's just not fair to the customer.
Now I wonder how many other bad information customers have got from this Geek Squad member, so I will find the employee and do want anyone in our backround would do: report them.:D

As for me - I am doing some rewiring at my friend's house - and asking to see if there is some adjustment to whatever the Geek Squad sold him.

Mikey

Wow.

That is some REALLY bad product knowledge.

gparris

Quote from: Mikey;39284Wow.

That is some REALLY bad product knowledge.

Yes, I know...my point of this was to advise folks that just because you are paying more for  an "expert" from a big-box store, this doesn't mean you must assume that he/she is right or knowledgeable about the installation or setup.

There was no "training" with this "Geek" person, that's for certain.:eek:

If you don't feel you are getting the right information or setup, call the manager of the store or go for a place that is recommended to you.:D

picopir8

The extent of most of those guys knowlege is what is listed on item description tag.  BB gets what they pay for in hiring <$10/hr techs.  That being they are qualified enough to read the item description for you so you dont have to read it yourself.  I dont trust them for much more.

As for the component/HDMI comment though, I would partially agree with him.  I have yet to see any difference between HDMI/DVI and component/VGA provided that a quality 6ft or shorter component/VGA cable is used.  Yet one of the first things people do after getting a HD set is fork out $50-100 for overpriced HDMI cables which even with an expert eye will provide no better picture than their existing component cables (or an $8 HDMI cable for that fact).

Meanwhile HDMI has the disadvantage of having digital copy protection which could prevent you from recording/viewing something.  Also, the TWC SA8300 box will not output video on other channels when there is a device connected via HDMI and that device is not powered on.  So that effectively prevents other devices connected to the cable box (another TV, tivo box, vcr) from working when the TV is turned off.  Lastly, since most TVs only have 1-2 HDMI ports, if you use them all up now with devices that dont require HDMI, then if you ever get a device that requires HDMI then you will have to rewire everything and/or get a receiver or some other device that switches HDMI. If you ask me, most people are better off just stiking with component video right now.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

TPK

I'm so jaded at this point, that I automatically assume that any technician working for any service provider or any customer service or support technician is automatically full of BS...  Either they don't have the knowledge or are too lazy to find out the correct answers and would just as soon give bad support than take the time to learn and do their job and give good support...

Always assume the worst, and that the person you are talking to doesn't know any better about anything he has to say more than you do...

I know this is harsh, but this is the real state of affairs at this point, and its a sad state of affairs...  I don't think it always used to be this way...

Its especially bad for the few support technicians out there that actually DO know their stuff and are capable of giving good advice...   For them I feel real sadness, as they now have the added burden of breaking through the skepticism of people like me and a jaded cosumer base, in order to break through and provide real quality help...

UncleMeat

I've *heard* that those geek squad folks get paid fairly well (for a retail job).  :huh?:

I'd never trust the advice of someone working at a big box chain.  It's a throw-away job, no matter what the position or training.  It's a place you work while you are on your way to something else.  I don't expect anyone there to have any real knowledge or to even care about providing proper information.  

I don't go to AutoZone when I need help fixing my car and I don't go to Best Buy when I need advice with a computer of a/v equipment.  It's not worth going through hassle and getting incorrect advice just because there might be a smart person there 1/10 times.