News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC vs. DirecTV boxes

Started by RonH, Saturday Apr 21, 2007, 08:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonH

Does one box perform better over the other in terms of picture quality, interface, and outputs?   For example, does the TWC HD or the DirecTV box let you select to output all channels in their native resolution (i.e. 480i for SD, and 1080i OR 720p for HD), or does it force you to "pick one" and do all the converting for you.  I am pretty sure a crappy box can not compete with my TV as far as deinterlacer processors and upcscalers go, etc.  It seems silly for my TV to have a hundred options for these features and not use any of them.

HDefinicktion

My Directv box will allow pass through of native resolutions.  Or you can have the box push everything at 480p, 720p, or 1080i.  I like to have it set on one of the native settings, it seems to show a much better picture.  Problem is, I have an older HD box, and cannot confirm what settings are on the new boxes.

steve053

Quote from: RonH;39102Does one box perform better over the other in terms of picture quality, interface, and outputs?   For example, does the TWC HD or the DirecTV box let you select to output all channels in their native resolution (i.e. 480i for SD, and 1080i OR 720p for HD), or does it force you to "pick one" and do all the converting for you.  ....

Currenlty TWC customer here.  When my box was first installed (July 06) I was given a SA3100HD box which sent all channels through as 1080i.  In Feb 07 I exchanged my box for a SA3250HD (for free at their Hwy 100 & Greenfield Store) and I have the option of choosing one or more resolutions 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.  I would have done this sooner if I had known there was an option to do so.  Just have to say thanks to everyone on this forum.

HTH

Steve

Mark Strube

TWC's Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR, Scientific Atlanta 3250HD, and the horrible Pioneer boxes all allow for selecting "all" resolutions, so they'll pass through native. However, in the case of the 8300HD DVR at least, it has a good video scaler, and I don't want to deal with new HDMI handshakes every time the resolution changes, so I just leave it set at 1080i only.

Quote from: HDefinicktion;39106My Directv box will allow pass through of native resolutions.

Any idea how it handles scaling HD Lite? Does an HDTV know what to do with a 1280x1080i signal, or is your DirecTV box in fact scaling it to 1920x1080i?

HDefinicktion

Mark,
I am not sure as to the exact resolutions.  It merely displays as 1080i, or 720p on both the box, and the tv.  I will try to look into it a little further to see if I can find out.  My tv is 4 years old already...

ktk0117

Quote from: Mark Strube;39116TWC's Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR, Scientific Atlanta 3250HD, and the horrible Pioneer boxes all allow for selecting "all" resolutions, so they'll pass through native. However, in the case of the 8300HD DVR at least, it has a good video scaler, and I don't want to deal with new HDMI handshakes every time the resolution changes, so I just leave it set at 1080i only.

Any idea how it handles scaling HD Lite? Does an HDTV know what to do with a 1280x1080i signal, or is your DirecTV box in fact scaling it to 1920x1080i?

I agree, Sci Atlantic boxes blow, period. I had to lose my Pioneer for that other POS, and they said that I could not have another Pioneer. So I Bailed and went o Directv and have the HR20 DVR. I know some people gripe about them, but I am happy with it, and the PQ is WAY better than TWC, especially SD.

Mark Strube

Quote from: ktk0117;39274I agree, Sci Atlantic boxes blow, period.

I never said that, but okay.

The Pioneer HD boxes are the ones to stay away from, especially if you're using DVI/HDMI. The guide is painfully slow, and I cannot count the number of times they freeze up for no reason at all.

The Scientific Atlanta boxes aren't perfect, but they're much faster and more bug-free... although I don't much like the new "Navigator" interface they're using on the non-DVR boxes.

picopir8

Here is my $0.02 for the boxes I have used over the past few years.

SA8000 - Only one output active at a time (svideo/component/etc).  So piping video to multiple sources is not an option.  Slow user interface.  Able to record 2 channels simultaniously.

SA8300 - Issues listed above with SA8000 have been resolved, however, if you use HDMI, the other outputs will not show video unless the monitor connected to the HDMI port is powered on.  Also, tends to crash a lot.  Able to record 2 channels simultaniously.

Motorola Uverse boxs - Slower guide but it is the prettiest one I have seen yet.  Guide also utilizes PIP.  DVR can be programed over the internet.  Soon DVR will be able to share video to non-DVR boxes.  SD outputs are disabled when box is configured for HD.  Not yet supported by slingbox.  Able to record 4 channels simultaniously (presently service is limited to 1 HD and 3 SD but soon it will be 3 HD and 1 SD, meanwhile service is free for 2 mo and HD package is free for 1 yr which pretty much offsets any inconvenience).