• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Huge Weather Warnings

Started by SugarRay, Monday Apr 30, 2007, 08:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarRay

Check out the huge Weather Warning on Fox 6 on "24: tonight.  I knew that the weather folks controled things at the stations, but this is bad!  NOt to mention the size 36 red font that scroolls every 5 min saying there is a T-storm warrning.

Plus no HD.

Not buying any of the products they advertise.

SRW1000

Yes, more silly weather hype.  At one time, Fox 6 was able to show some moderation.  Now, they've joined the other crowd.

Kudos to 10, 18, 24, and 36 for choosing not to propagate the ridiculous exaggeration of this evening's weather conditions.

To the rest of them, a big raspberry.

Scott

tywest

Nice....
Well i'm glad i can watch the 24" version of Heroes, on my 37" tv.
Ridiculous:bang:

LowSignal

I think we should all chip in and send a giant pair of novelty eye glasses with a card reading "Thanks for the weather alert, We can SEE!"

kjnorman

There's a thunderstorm.  Big Woop!

WTMJ shrunk Heroes to 1/4 it size and then pre-empted the beginning.  Gits!

Consequently I will not watch the crappy presentation of Heroes tonight (which really makes me mad).  Instead I'll have to watch for the Sci-fi rerun or (more likely) download it on bittorrent tonight.

BURN IN HELL WTMJ :Shoot:

kjnorman

I figured that it was no use ranting on here.  This place is not going to change anything, and so I fired off an email to tmj4feedback@todaystmj4.com.  I suspect it will just be deleted but this is what I wrote (not very eloquent but I was a little po'd)

To TMJ4,

Thank you so very much for destroying tonight's presentation of Heroes.  I have been looking forward to this show all week - it is my number one show.  I was appalled at how you butchered the presentation so that you can display your enormous and unreasonable weather graphics all over the picture.  There was a thunderstorm, big deal!!!  Why do you plaster so much crap over the TV picture every time there is the teeniest chance of a bit of rain.  I am not suggesting you stop this for tornado warnings and such like, but a relatively minor thunderstorm.  Get real.

What sickens me even more is that I am watching on digital 4-1 your high definition channel.  While I understand that on analog you may not have much alternative when it comes to weather warnings this is not the case with new digital technology.  First you have your high definition channel and then you have a dedicated weather plus channels on 4-2.  If severe weather threatens why could you not run a VERY SMALL radar in the lower left of the screen with an OCCASIONAL text scrawl at the bottom of the screen mentioning the weather warning and for more information to tune to 4-2 for those who want more weather into.  You could even go a step further and preempt the regular 4-2 programming and put the standard definition feed of 4-1 in a quarter of the screen along with all the other weather graphics so that viewers who did want to see the show (but also see the weather warnings) would not miss out.
There are many better ways to handle weather warnings.  Your current solution is not one of them.  In the end I did not watch your show because of your lame presentation.  Now I will have to watch Heroes on the Sci-Fi channel or download it on the Internet.  I wanted to watch it with you tonight but your crap presentation drove me elsewhere.  These days there are many easy ways to get a show if your presentation is less than perfect.  It is time your got with the picture and stop this silly battle of one oneupmanship with the other locals on who has the biggest and most obnoxious weather warnings going.  Your viewers do not care.

Kerry Norman.
Disgruntled viewer.

Dan the Man

Dear TMJ4:

I am disappointed that the program/news director elected to ruin tonight's presentation of Heroes with the atrocious weather alert AND pre-empting of the beginning with the weather update. I was appalled at how you butchered the presentation so that you can display your enormous and unreasonable weather graphics all over the picture. There was some bad weather, but was it that bad that it warranted the disturbance you created?

What bothers me the most is that I am watching the show on Time Warner channel 504 (high definition) and this warning not only cut the HD feed out, but compresses the picture so much it is difficult to watch. If severe weather threatens why could you not run a very small graphic in the lower corner with a text crawl at the bottom of the screen mentioning the weather warning.

There must be better ways to handle weather warnings. The current solution is not one of them. Please look for better ways to communicate this information without ruining the HD picture quality.

Sincerely,

Dan Rehbein

RLJSlick

That's a very good idea, maybe if we all write TMJ they will listen.

Quote from: kjnorman;39240I figured that it was no use ranting on here.  This place is not going to change anything, and so I fired off an email to tmj4feedback@todaystmj4.com.  I suspect it will just be deleted but this is what I wrote (not very eloquent but I was a little po'd)

To TMJ4,

Thank you so very much for destroying tonight's presentation of Heroes.  I have been looking forward to this show all week - it is my number one show.  I was appalled at how you butchered the presentation so that you can display your enormous and unreasonable weather graphics all over the picture.  There was a thunderstorm, big deal!!!  Why do you plaster so much crap over the TV picture every time there is the teeniest chance of a bit of rain.  I am not suggesting you stop this for tornado warnings and such like, but a relatively minor thunderstorm.  Get real.

What sickens me even more is that I am watching on digital 4-1 your high definition channel.  While I understand that on analog you may not have much alternative when it comes to weather warnings this is not the case with new digital technology.  First you have your high definition channel and then you have a dedicated weather plus channels on 4-2.  If severe weather threatens why could you not run a VERY SMALL radar in the lower left of the screen with an OCCASIONAL text scrawl at the bottom of the screen mentioning the weather warning and for more information to tune to 4-2 for those who want more weather into.  You could even go a step further and preempt the regular 4-2 programming and put the standard definition feed of 4-1 in a quarter of the screen along with all the other weather graphics so that viewers who did want to see the show (but also see the weather warnings) would not miss out.
There are many better ways to handle weather warnings.  Your current solution is not one of them.  In the end I did not watch your show because of your lame presentation.  Now I will have to watch Heroes on the Sci-Fi channel or download it on the Internet.  I wanted to watch it with you tonight but your crap presentation drove me elsewhere.  These days there are many easy ways to get a show if your presentation is less than perfect.  It is time your got with the picture and stop this silly battle of one oneupmanship with the other locals on who has the biggest and most obnoxious weather warnings going.  Your viewers do not care.

Kerry Norman.
Disgruntled viewer.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

klwillis45

It is replaying May 4 on SciFi. No HD, but at least they won't have those annoying weather bugs.

basshive

QuoteThat's a very good idea, maybe if we all write TMJ they will listen.

Survey says.................

no... :(

It really was bad enough that they shrunk it down so much, even on the 60inch it was pretty tiny, being widesreen makes it even smaller, but then they have the nerve to preempt..... This is not some summer re-run!! In this day in age where getting new episodes of shows becomes more and more rare (ie, shows that split seasons up and make you wait 2 months, etc) and we are forced to go longer stretches for them it is unacceptable to have them butchered in such a manner when we finally do get a chance to sit and enjoy!
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Mikey

Yeah, the weather season warnings are now upon us...again.  

It seems to me they have gotten larger.

I didn't realize so many legally blind people watch TV in SE Wisconsin.

My picture was cut by more than 50% of what it should have been in HD.

And to pre-empt the beginning of the show to tell us there is a t-storm warning?  What am I, retarded?  A graphic and a window aren't enough for me to deduct that it is raining outside and whatnot?

Bad form WTMJ.

Jayflap

Like Kerry mentioned, if you are watching on HD you have access to 4-2. The graphic on HD should be small and direct you to 4-2.

My wife works over at 4, I could see if she would mention something to the managers over there, but I doubt anything would come of it.

Jason

Snard

Quote from: Jayflap;39251Like Kerry mentioned, if you are watching on HD you have access to 4-2. The graphic on HD should be small and direct you to 4-2.

My wife works over at 4, I could see if she would mention something to the managers over there, but I doubt anything would come of it.

Jason
TWC doesn't broadcast 4-2, do they?
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

jjallou

Quote from: Snard;39254TWC doesn't broadcast 4-2, do they?

On channel 104.

Weather Plus is promoted as being on the radio, newspaper, and TWC channel 104.
Never a mention of it being available OTA on channel 4-2. Why would they want to promote that? :rolleyes:

LoadStar

Quote from: jjallou;39255On channel 104.

Weather Plus is promoted as being on the radio, newspaper, and TWC channel 104.
Never a mention of it being available OTA on channel 4-2. Why would they want to promote that? :rolleyes:

Honestly, because so few people actually use an OTA tuner, even mentioning it would just muddy the message. It's the same reason they didn't mention the OTA channel numbers in the NCAA multicast ads for WDJT.

I'm not even sure how you'd properly refer to it, out loud that is. On paper it's usually "4.2" or "4-2" - but out loud, would you say "Four dot two," "Four dash two" or would you say something like "Subchannel two" and hope people know what a subchannel is?