• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Pay TV prices

Started by bradsmainsite, Sunday Apr 22, 2007, 11:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradsmainsite

With all the options available for pay TV service they are all getting to the point
where affordability is going out the window.

At what point will you say thats enough  it is to much I am done.

$50 or $60? or higher, or maybe even less?

Just curious.:huh?:

waterhead

I draw the line at actually paying for any TV. The cost of the equipment is enough.

tencom

We will be seeing even higher rates for alternative television in the future thanks  partly to the retransmission rules that conqress adapted in the early 90s, that gave the big OTA networks, and there network affilates the option,  of either charging for additional cable networks that they would establish or direct payment for carriage of there OTA network signals over cable or satellite. Now rhe Big OTA networks are begining to flex there muscles because a lot of cable channels have been purchased by OTA networks and are demanding extra payment for carriage rights, or lose the carriage rights of the OTA networks and recently both CBS and SINCLAIR Broadcasting, want to increase there fees starting when the present agreement runs out in 2009. Most likely the other OTA networks will follow suite. At this point the OTA  networks, can demand carriage of any newly established  television channels by using the retransmission rules to their advantage.

jjallou

With or without retransmission agreements you will see your bill go up anyway.

tencom

As I understand it two thirds of the price increases is going to the cable programmers.  A 2005, FCC report states the average cable profit is about 8.5% of income vs. a major market television station profit margin in many cases is close to 70% and advertising rates, charged by television stations,  also increased by a substantial margin in the last several years. That is why a TV station in a market, the size of Milwaukee, is worth sbout $300 million  or about a third of a billion American dollars.