• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV Plans 2,000 VOD Titles

Started by Gregg Lengling, Thursday Apr 12, 2007, 06:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

'As Much as Possible' Will Be HD; Users Can Order Programs Online
DirecTV's upcoming launch of the first satellite-provider video-on-demand service will include 2,000 movie and television titles, with "as much as possible" in HD. The service will launch in July for DirecTV customers with current-generation HD DVRs.

http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=679
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

AndrewP

Yes, that is why they call it DirecTV HD, Dish HD, etc instead of simply HD :-)

picopir8

At first, I could not figure out how D* could do this since they dont have anywhere near the bandwidth to pull it off.  Then I read that they are using your broadband connection.  So in other words, when you watch a movie, your broadband  speed drops to a crawl. I hope nobody eles in the house needs to use the internet.

It looks like the VOD HD signal will be sub HD as well, because the bandwidth just is not there. Unless Im mistaken, in the Milwaukee area, DSL caps out around 6Meg/sec, Roadrunner is around 7, and dont you need something like 10-12 to stream HD!?!?

mhz40

Yeah, here we go again...  Last time the 'channel wars' heated up we ended up with dozens of channels with content no one watches.  Most are now airing infomercials for the insomniacs among us.
Now it's happening again, only it's HD channel wars.  "100 new HD channels"... again offering very limited content worth watching.  The consumer again will lose.  Anyone in need some snake oil?

bubbaridesfast

Quote from: mhz40;38970Yeah, here we go again...  Last time the 'channel wars' heated up we ended up with dozens of channels with content no one watches.  Most are now airing infomercials for the insomniacs among us.
Now it's happening again, only it's HD channel wars.  "100 new HD channels"... again offering very limited content worth watching.  The consumer again will lose.  Anyone in need some snake oil?

Well, I for one actually believe that D* is adding many worthwhile HD channels before years end. Sure, Disney HD won't be viewed in our home (no kids, thank God - all moved out) but of the roughly 70-80 channels announced - it ain't all the equivalant of an HD fireplace or aquarium.

TWC will finally add ESPN2HD tomorrow while D* is cloing on probably 2 years of that channel which I definitely value. The pressure will be immense for TWC and E* when this happens. The launch of D*'s first sat this year is on schedule for June, then sit back and we'll all see what happens.

Sure some point to HD-Lite, but isn't even that better than ESPN2 SD? Are the same people who whine about TWC not adding HD channels the same that like to bring up HD-Lite? :rolleyes:

My eyes are 20-15 thanks to PRK and I really don't see a difference between D* HD and OTA on either my Toshiba or my Sony.

gparris

bubbaridesfast:
I would just be happy if we had the HD channels TWC offers in the other cities TWC has service in (see my signature).

TWC-Milwaukee is throwing us HD subs a "bone" with ESPN2HD.:p

TWC-Milwaukee could really care less about adding the other HD channels, IMO, otherwise CW18HD would have appeared months ago.:rolleyes: