• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Versus/Golf HD Coming to TWC

Started by gparris, Monday Apr 09, 2007, 09:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tencom

HDTV television sales remains far below expectations as envisioned, by it's early advocates and may never become a mainstream force. In my discussions with people I find a lot of skepticism towards HDTV. Most feel that the present analog television system is good enough, and are unwilling ,to shell out  the kind of money to see something in their opinion, is not worth the extra cost. Perhaps TWC is only reflecting this skepticism, and are not willing to appropiate the necessary funds, for the conversion equipment that would be needed for only a small number of subscribers that avail themselves of this service.

LoadStar

Quote from: tencom;38996HDTV television sales remains far below expectations as envisioned, by it's early advocates and may never become a mainstream force. In my discussions with people I find a lot of skepticism towards HDTV. Most feel that the present analog television system is good enough, and are unwilling ,to shell out  the kind of money to see somrthing in their opinion, is not worth the extra cost. Perhaps TWC is only reflecting ths skepticisn, and are not willing to appropiate the necessary funds for the comversion equipment that would be needed for only a small number of subscribers that avail themselves of this service.

I think this isn't being pragmatic, this is just being pessimistic. Digital TV is coming, like it or not, and as TV's expire, they will need to be replaced, and they will be replaced with digital televisions... and virtually all digital televisions are HD-capable these days.

To try and suggest that "HDTV may never become a mainstream force" is just stupid, IMHO.

gparris

Quote from: LoadStar;39004I think this isn't being pragmatic, this is just being pessimistic. Digital TV is coming, like it or not, and as TV's expire, they will need to be replaced, and they will be replaced with digital televisions... and virtually all digital televisions are HD-capable these days.

To try and suggest that "HDTV may never become a mainstream force" is just stupid, IMHO.

Digital is here, replacing analogue and with it, the ability to have and do HD.
While not everything digital is HD, more and more is and the customer is demanding more of it all the time.
Every set sold is a digital one with the required tuners save the really tiny sets.
Most digital sets offer HD capability and as the old sets die and need replacing, guess what-more HD sets are sold.

gparris

A TWC "clone", Brighthouse Networks in Tampa, FL, just added Versus/Golf in HD, channel 694.

This, of course, is addition to A&EHD channel 692 and MHD channel 693 added some time ago
...along with ESPN2HD many days ago.

Oh yeah, they have CWHD, too (WTOG-DT, not a SBG station, either).

Stinks having TWC-Milwaukee for HD service, doesn't it?:(

LoadStar

Quote from: gparris;39026A TWC "clone", Brighthouse Networks in Tampa, FL, just added Versus/Golf in HD, channel 694.

This, of course, is addition to A&EHD channel 692 and MHD channel 693 added some time ago
...along with ESPN2HD many days ago.

Oh yeah, they have CWHD, too (WTOG-DT, not a SBG station, either).

Stinks having TWC-Milwaukee for HD service, doesn't it?:(

Just curious: how are they a "TWC clone"?

gparris

Quote from: LoadStar;39028Just curious: how are they a "TWC clone"?

Maybe this will inform you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighthouse_Networks

This means that unless TWC corporate gets the contract to carry a network, these locations don't get it.

Everytime TWC is about to get an HD channel added after a contract is signed, I go to Brighthouse in Florida and guess what?

The HD channel is already there!:rock:

LoadStar

Quote from: gparris;39030Maybe this will inform you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighthouse_Networks

This means that unless TWC corporate gets the contract to carry a network, these locations don't get it.

Everytime TWC is about to get an HD channel added after a contract is signed, I go to Brighthouse in Florida and guess what?

The HD channel is already there!:rock:

I read that before asking. They're a cable operator that Time Warner has a partial ownership in,  but no role in the operation of. The other connection to TWC is that a couple of their locations used to be TWC locations, something that isn't any different than many other cable operators that now own some former TWC franchises.

I still don't see how they're any more of a "clone" of TWC than any other cable operator.

gparris

Quote from: LoadStar;39037I read that before asking. They're a cable operator that Time Warner has a partial ownership in,  but no role in the operation of. The other connection to TWC is that a couple of their locations used to be TWC locations, something that isn't any different than many other cable operators that now own some former TWC franchises.

I still don't see how they're any more of a "clone" of TWC than any other cable operator.

Here's an quote from engadgethd:

"You're probably wondering, what does Bright House Networks has to do with Time Warner Cable? Because a few years ago Bright House Networks markets were Time Warner Cable markets and although they are now managed separately, they continue to negotiate carriage agreements together to increase their bargaining power."

Maybe that helps you understand the Brighthouse Networks link.
Everytime I see Tampa getting more HD channels, somewhere in TWC land, they get them, if not at the same day, the next (outside Milwaukee, of course).

All I "understand" is Milwaukee must be a market worth going after for HD service subscribers, outside of TWC-Milwaukee's poor HD selection, as it refuses to keep up with its own TWC network of locations throughout the country:
Otherwise AT&T U-Verse wouldn't be here taking away its best customers:
HD subscribers, would it?