News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDMI DVD Player

Started by HDefinicktion, Tuesday Apr 17, 2007, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDefinicktion

Have any of you guys had any luck with an HDMI DVD player connected directly into the TV, with digital audio going to the receiver?  I have tried to find a place where someone could show me the lag of running it that way, but CC, BB, American, and Colders did not have the equipment together to try it.  The only reason I ask is that I am trying to save a buck, or a thousand of them by not getting a new receiver with HDMI switching.  I am using a Denon currently with a DVI out, with optical audio without any audio lag...is that because of the DVI connection?  I wouldn't imagine it would be...

Are there any new players with audio sync capabilities?

TPK

Quote from: HDefinicktion;39038Have any of you guys had any luck with an HDMI DVD player connected directly into the TV, with digital audio going to the receiver?  I have tried to find a place where someone could show me the lag of running it that way, but CC, BB, American, and Colders did not have the equipment together to try it.  The only reason I ask is that I am trying to save a buck, or a thousand of them by not getting a new receiver with HDMI switching.  I am using a Denon currently with a DVI out, with optical audio without any audio lag...is that because of the DVI connection?  I wouldn't imagine it would be...

Are there any new players with audio sync capabilities?

I have an upconverting (720p/1080i) HDMI dvd player....  It has a coaxial digital out instead of an optical...

Some upconverting DVD players only support 1080i...  I don't know why people would upconvert to 1080i when it makes a lot more sense to upconvert to 720p...  Most online vendors don't even mention that it upconverts to 720p, they only mention that it upconverts to 1080i...  I don't understand it....

I have not noticed any sync issues at all, but still the DVD player has an audio "lip sync" delay setting, which I have not used...

Its inexpensive, the picture is great, it does a real nice job...  I can still tell that the picture is not HD quality, but its damn close IMO...  This DVD player will suffice for me until we have some real options in dual format affordable HD DVD players...  Perhaps another couple of years I guess...

Here is a review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_DVP5960_37/4505-6463_7-31871079.html?tag=prod.txt.1

looks like J&R has it for 70 dollars.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4098734

As a warning, I am pretty sure I have an older model than what I am showing here... I think I have the DVP5960, not the DVP5960/37...  I do not know what the /37 means...  Hopefully it just means its a newer model, and still supports these features....  From what I can tell from the cnet article it appears so...

markd

As for DVD players, I have an Oppo 971 connected to HDMI on my TV via DVI -> HDMI cable and digital audio to my receiver.  I have not had any problems but the Oppo gives you sync control settings too.  I have my SA8300 connected directly to my TV via HDMI with digital audio going directly to my receiver.  Occasionally I will experience some weird snyc issues but I just turn off my cable box, turn it back on and things get synced fine.

FWIW, my DVD player video goes to my TV with a short cable while audio goes to my receiver via 35' cable.  My cable box is the opposite (short audio to receiver, 35' HDMI to TV).

JohnRacine

My Sony DVP-NS75H DVD player will not pass audio through the HDMI cable to my Sony KDF-E50A10 HDTV.  I have an optical cable from the DVD player connected to my Yamaha HTR-5950 Receiver.

I've never had an audio delay nor out of synch problem.  The video from all of my DVD's is superb...near HD quality (even though I know it's not true HD).  And, the audio is first rate.

The DVD player was $105 at Best Buy.  It's a terrific performer for me and very small in size so it fits into the small shelf that my TV sits on.

Hope this helps.

HDefinicktion

So it seems as though there is not much of a problem with audio sync after all...All the sales associates that I spoke with seemed to believe that there is a significant delay in sound processing compared to video processing.  I guess I will venture out today and take a look at what is out there.  I have seen the Sony player in stores already, but everyone has put at least one player in the market recently and many at very reasonable prices...it is hard to decide.  Thanks for the assistance!!

HDefinicktion

I swung through CC at Southridge today and picked a an open box Panasonic S52 model for 42 bucks...so far so good.  Only problem is no DIVX, but not that big of a deal for the price.  I will be putting them all on a bigger HDD on the media center now.  There is no audio sync issues at all, and the player offers variable millisecond audio delay for such a problem.  I will have some evidence the next time someone tried to get me to get a new receiver.  I have never watched a movie through the HDMI before...does it seem that component make the video seem softer, compared the the sharp HDMI?  I played a bunch of movies and sat a different distances, and noticed that the closer you sit via HDMI, the grainer it gets.  Where as from the same distance component seemed much cleaner, with less noise.

I do agree that many of the players are advertised as 1080i, and not 720p.  The progressive output looks much nicer than interlaced.

TPK

Quote from: HDefinicktion;39070I do agree that many of the players are advertised as 1080i, and not 720p.  The progressive output looks much nicer than interlaced.

I find it humorous that those ads for DirectTV proclaim "We have HD channels, and theyre broadcast in 1080i"..  As if interlaced is a GOOD thing...  Like Jessica Simpson's leg....

I suppose to most people, when comparing 1080i to 720p, they see that the number is bigger, and it ends in a vowel, so therefore 1080i must be superior...

Interlaced video should have died along with the CRT...

But it looks like were gonna be stuck with it at least for another few decades or so...