News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Comcast essentially drops analog in Chicago market!

Started by Gilbert, Tuesday Mar 27, 2007, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbert

We just got word from a Comcast customer service manager that analog shutdown in our market (Chi-town) is coming soon...sometime this year,
and I bet over the next few months. DirecTV added a lot of new HD subs this quarter, and it looks like Comcast is panicking to some extent. Analog shutdown in the city of Chicago is officially destined to occur on April 10...and I bet the suburbs are not far behind. They also mentioned that they will have "big improvements this year" in regards to their HD lineup.

So, I assume TW Milwaukee announces tomorrow that they're doing switched video, right? :rof:

hideing_behind_compu

gparris

TWC does not care about its HD subscribers, even though the ratio of digital subscribers 5.6 million out of 14.5 million total, so it seems this would indicate some HD subs somewhere in the mix, but from their lack of HD channel additions here, you'd never know it.:(
Otherwise, there would have been more TWC HD channel additions, including the SIX HD channels (including the 2 HD Sinclair stations) that are most commonplace everywhere else, here in Milwaukeeland.

Comcast has been adding HD channels all along, so for them to switch to digital-only will require all subs to have what every sat customer has:
a STB for every TV set, HD or not, I would assume.
IMHO, Comcast knows what its doing, it needs more space and going all-digital makes sense, eliminating analogue altogether.

Seems a bit expensive for Comcast, though it DOES solve the problems of bandwidth-hungry analogue channels going away and much, much more room for HD and SD digital channels!:D

LowSignal

Oh! complain complain complain, Do you realize the size of lynch mob that would assemble downtown at TWC if they told everyone their direct connects would be no more? Would you want to tell all those people they need a box for each and every TV because the minority(for now anyways) of HDTV owners need the bandwidth for G4 and playboy in HD. I'm sure the need for no box is a reason many people choose TWC over satellite or Uverse.

Mark Strube

Quote from: LowSignal;38792I'm sure the need for no box is a reason many people choose TWC over satellite or Uverse.

That would be us!

gparris

Even if it wasn't for the need for keeping the HD subs, perhaps the interactive requirements of the cable system like Comcast's big push for on-demand services that require STBs not even HD.
Many of the On-Demand channels (in the 1000s on TWC here) require an STB to get them and these aren't HD (yet).

The way I would move to all-digital system with a cable company subscribers would be to include STBs for every TV in the household-as was done in cable's earlier days.

Costly as that seems, it is a requirement for AT&T and FIOS teleco systems and as it is with any satellite service (and they don't seem to be hurting for subscribers).
What with rates going up every year, the STB costs could be rolled in somehow, at least for the first two or three like AT&T is doing, then another $5 (for example) for the fourth (and more) STBs.

I honestly cannot believe that anyone with a TV, HD or not, would just "give up" on the only source of TV (such as cable) because they have to use a box (or two) where they didn't have one already.

Maybe there is a "phobia" out there with STBs? :eek:

Anyway, soon all those analogue TVs out there will require an digital convertor "box" anyway to get OTA (without cable or sat services).
So what's the harm?
Soon, they won't have a choice as digital takes over analogue once and for all.
As technology progresses, like it or not and service providers have to find a way to get delivery.

pretzelkid

The Television manufacturerers should be putting ATSC AND clear QAM tuners in all the tv's they make and then cableco's should let basic and expanded sevices fly unencrypted and of course encrypt premium services which would require stb's and we're back to where we are now with analog services type people. Yea it would cost them a new tv set to get where they were but renting 4 or 5 stb's (which I'm sure cableco's just love) forever is ridiculous. The other solution is to let people buy stb's...it's the renting the thing forever that I think people hate.
I mean how much can a DCT 700 cost?

gparris

If Comcast and any other cableco includes the first one or two at least with the least expensive digital cable box (no HDMI for video and no optical digital output, maybe coaxial digital, if less expensive), then that should work to reduce STB cost, IMO.

Inside the box, as in Digital TV (non-HD) it would be great to have the new digital tuners in them, but as prices fall further for HDTVs of various sizes (as these have), most sets will become HDTV vs. CRT-based sets with digital tuners in them, IMHO. Many HDTVs have QAM tuners in them as I understand it.

But basically speaking, the existing subscribers sets, non-HDTVs will have the need for STBs.
HDTV owners should already have one even without QAM tuners in them for HD subscription service (or maybe its time, folks).

SA or Motorola or PACE should have something in the works (or already) that could do the job inexpensively, maybe have the sub sign an agreement for 6 months like some do (even for some cablecos) or whatever works...just a thought here.

pretzelkid

My sister is dealing with the Chicago Comcast situation currently. She's an analog tier type...no premiums, no cable boxes. Comcast is giving her the first stb free with basic and expanded sevice and additional boxes (she's getting 2 more)are $4.38 I think she said. These are basic boxes, the DCT 700...one composite video out and one stereo out and RF in and out. The extra tv's she's putting them on don't even have video inputs, a 13" bedroom tv and an old 19' basement tv. A years worth of service is costing her $105.12 (don't forget tax too)more than what she pays now and for what?
It's the same service to her...same picture, same content, just costing more. I'm sure at least 50% of the folks are in the same boat...couldn't care less for the slightly improved digital picture, it all looks the same to them on that old tv. Comcast makes decisions based on money and 2 or more years of extra cable box rentals(from those folks getting more than the freebie box) works out just great in their eyes.....