• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CompUSA to close more than half of all stores (Brookfield likely to close)

Started by LoadStar, Tuesday Feb 27, 2007, 05:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

According to several websites, CompUSA will be closing 128 of 229 stores, with ownership of the closed stores transferred to the liquidators as of midnight tonight.

The same websites say that the best way to tell what stores are closing is to go to the Store Locator on the CompUSA website, enter your zip code, and if the store doesn't show up, it's closing. Brookfield does not show up. (Nearest stores to 53186 include Madison and Rockford, IL.)

Might be a good opportunity to go and grab some stuff on clearance....

krauts

Saw the story and I had to post. I was out in california last week for work. Once the work part was over the wife and I drove up the coast from Huntington Beach to the next city and decided to stop at the Compusa store that we drove past. It was already half empty and the deals weren't anything special. I just picked up a rechargeable battery thingy and some extra rechargable batteries.

SRW1000

I can't say that this is very surprising.

I used to love CompUSA.  Back in the old days, one could have a pretty exciting afternoon by shopping for rebate deals there, and then driving across the street to Computer City for all of their deals.  That was fun (for a full-fledged geek, anyway)!

Since that time, the internet has really changed things.  The store couldn't compete against online outlets price-wise.  The stocked items were hit and miss.  The rebates have turned into a complete hassle (this isn't limited to CompUSA, but they were a major victim, based on what was offered in their weekly ads).

To compete, they half-heartedly entered the home electronics arena.  The stores weren't very well set up for that, the staff didn't really know how to sell it, selection was limited, and prices couldn't compete with the electronics chains.

At the same time, the electronic stores added more and more computer equipment.  And while they didn't have as many items, they carried everything that 90% of consumers want or care about.  CompUSA just doesn't have that same buying power to compete.

I can't even remember the last time I stopped by, much less the last time I walked out out with a purchase.

I think their fate was inevitable, and I'll remember the store for the niche it once filled.

Scott