News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Linux

Started by waterhead, Sunday Feb 18, 2007, 09:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterhead

I use Linux on my Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop. It has a Broadcom wireless chip in it. I have been using an application called NDISWrapper. It uses the Windows driver to make the wireless work in Linux.

The Linux kernel has had a "native" driver in it since kernel 2.6.18 , called bcm43xx. I compiled a newer kernel on my laptop just so I could use it. It still needs the Windows driver, it is needed to extract the firmware from it. Then you can delete it.

Edit: I also just installed a Buffalo wireless PCI card on a Linux desktop. I had Fedora Core 6 installed, and I could not get it to work (it has a Broadcom chip). I then installed openSuse 10.2, and I was able to get it to work using the bcm43xx driver.

tazman

Quote from: StarvingForHDTV;37847I'm interested in Linux and open source.  I do have doubts about having the right drivers available for newer computers.  I also wonder if there is a suitable replacement to Quickbooks Pro or Peachtree for accounting software.

I have about 10 days left before I lose my privilege to return my notebooks to Circuit City.  Right now they are essentially useless to me as they can't run Quickbooks Pro in Vista and with XP installed there is a serious lack of drivers that work.

Usually I love technology, but in this case.... that is not true.

Boy thats good to know!!!! :mad:   My son uses QuickBooks Pro 5 user at his business and their considering buying a couple of new computers to replace a couple that still have 2000 Pro on them.  I installed QuickBooks Pro Ver. 6 on their new computer last year which is running XP.  Also put it on the other older computers.  It's a real PIG loading up.  But I think thats the new QuickBooks.  Takes forever.  I suppose you cannot buy a new computer anymore with Windows XP on it, can Ya?:rolleyes:
I'll have to make a TC to Intuit and find out what their support is for Vista.

P.S. Any snowmobile or ATV enthusiest on here?  //www.rpcracing.com

Not sure if I am allowed to do that on here.  My appologize.

StarvingForHDTV

Last night I downloaded Ubuntu 6.10 from //www.ubuntu.com  I wrote the operating system to a CD and popped it in the laptop.

The nice part is you can run off the CD without installing the operating system.  I was amazed!  Very nice.  Clean interface, smooth and fast.  Much of my hardware was supported (tons more than with XP pro)  It came loaded with openoffice.org office suite.  It also has the Gimp, which I love.  I didn't get to use the built in web browser or email program yet.  The media player worked great though.

I was very impressed.  I did not imagine Linux like this!

What I am considering is making a dual boot machine.  Boot in to XP for Quickbooks Pro, and boot to Ubuntu for everything else.  Unless I can find a good Linux accounting program.

****Note to Tazman.  Go to Quickbooks website to see if your son's version of Quickbooks will run on Vista.  I think the newest version can.  My version is QB Pro 2002 and does not work.

waterhead

Just so you know, the live CD's run completely off of your computers memory. If you don't have much memory, your computer will seem sluggish or unresponsive. You did not have any problems, but others who read this might.

If you want a dual boot with  windows and Linux, you must have windows installed first. Windows thinks that they are the only important operating system in the world. When you install it on a PC that has an existing O/S on it, windows will disable it and make it inaccessable. Luckly, Linux plays better with others. It will install a boot menu where you can chose which O/S you want to boot into.

tazman

Quote from: StarvingForHDTV;37862****Note to Tazman.  Go to Quickbooks website to see if your son's version of Quickbooks will run on Vista.  I think the newest version can.  My version is QB Pro 2002 and does not work.

I'll have to do that.  If you don't have upgrade to the latest version of Quickbooks... DON'T!

He has Quickbooks Pro 2006 5 user.  Its a real PIG  compared to the earlier version they were running.  Which I believe was the same as yours, or least least theirs was upgraded to that version.  I found though for backups to work all we had to do is close the company file and still leave Quickbooks loaded. That saves a bunch of time in the morning getting everything started back up.