News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Comcast is here?

Started by Paul S., Monday Oct 09, 2006, 03:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

I doubt that Comcast is coming.  They would be under the cable franchise rules and I don't think TWC would like that or they would like it.  It would be building a huge new plant (think of all the cable to run) and as a Cable operator they would have to already have a 'Franchise Agreement' with the municipality they are building in.  That requires an "Annual Fee" plus a percentage of the take.  On top of that they would have a build-out in their agreement to make them cover x-number of pops within a period of time.

This is exactly why TWC is ****ed at AT&T because they are circumventing this process.  AT&T is willing to pay Franchise Fees but they don't want to get into the coverage clauses, as they only want to build where they can make a "Ton Of Moolah".
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

gparris

I think you folks are missing the point, here.
While I don't really think that Comcast is "coming", it could be TAKING OVER.

No, I don't think this cable company is, but the possibility of them taking over this area is what could happen, not come in like AT&T is trying to right now.

Look closely, the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area is now Comcast, formerly TWC and it is just a few hundred miles away from us, with Comcast Chicago immediately to our south.

Look again, note that Houston,TX, though it is deepp inside TWC land, it now being converted to Comcast, though Dallas, TX and San Antonio and Austin,TX are also TWC.
All of this happened due to the Adelphia-TWC-Comcast swapouts.

We really don't know the extent of the swapout of areas until these are done.

I don't really think Comcast is ever coming - even to REPLACE TWC, but that is more of a possiblity than being "another cable company"....okay?:rolleyes:

PaulKTF

Quote from: gparris;37671I think you folks are missing the point, here.
While I don't really think that Comcast is "coming", it could be TAKING OVER.

No, I don't think this cable company is, but the possibility of them taking over this area is what could happen, not come in like AT&T is trying to right now.

Look closely, the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area is now Comcast, formerly TWC and it is just a few hundred miles away from us, with Comcast Chicago immediately to our south.

Look again, note that Houston,TX, though it is deepp inside TWC land, it now being converted to Comcast, though Dallas, TX and San Antonio and Austin,TX are also TWC.
All of this happened due to the Adelphia-TWC-Comcast swapouts.

We really don't know the extent of the swapout of areas until these are done.

I don't really think Comcast is ever coming - even to REPLACE TWC, but that is more of a possiblity than being "another cable company"....okay?:rolleyes:

I'm confused. You say that you think it both could, and couldn't be taking over in the same post? Is there any firm evidence to support this? I highly doubt TWC would let this happen now that they have such a firm grip on the market here.

Besides; ask yourself this- is having Comcast as a virtual monopoly any better than having TWC as a virtual monopoly?
-Paul

gparris

I don't know WHY you are confused, honestly.

Folks are discussing Comcast as if it was coming in like AT&T is, but it doesn't operate that way and won't.

We don't know the details of the complete TWC-Comcast swapout unless there is something printed I don't know of. TWC will and has "let" Comcast takeover its areas - read about it, okay?
Some other areas, formerly Comcast, TWC moved in, like the greater LA area and North Texas.

Yes, both are monopolies and very large cable companies, that is true, but the point is missed that other locations more recently are processing themselves as Comcast, formerly TWC, that's all and nothing more.

PaulKTF

I'm kind of surprised that TWC and Comcast havn't simply merged into one company yet. Since they don't compete with one another; wouldn't it make sense to simplify things?
-Paul

gparris

Quote from: PaulKTF;37678I'm kind of surprised that TWC and Comcast havn't simply merged into one company yet. Since they don't compete with one another; wouldn't it make sense to simplify things?

No, the government likes to regulate the cable industry to some extent and it took a long while to them to process the whole swapout and breakup of the cable company formerly known as Adelphia, now gone.

Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cox are the leading cable companies in this country, then there are many smaller ones, including Charter, which is in Wisconsin, too (some forum members have it as a provider).

PaulKTF

Quote from: gparris;37679No, the government likes to regulate the cable industry to some extent and it took a long while to them to process the whole swapout and breakup of the cable company formerly known as Adelphia, now gone.

Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cox are the leading cable companies in this country, then there are many smaller ones, including Charter, which is in Wisconsin, too (some forum members have it as a provider).

Okay; but I'm not quite sure I understand- Comcast and Time Warner aren't competing with one another anywhere (that I know of). If they were; I could understand why they would want viable competition. In other words; merging the two companies wouldn't eliminate any customers' choices; because they don't hve a choice between TWC and Comcast to begin with.
-Paul

PaulKTF

Check out this support horror story from someone who was being switched from TWC to Comcast...

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2006/12/details_on_comcasts_takeover_and_a_support_ho.html

:eek:
-Paul

gparris

Quote from: PaulKTF;37681Okay; but I'm not quite sure I understand- Comcast and Time Warner aren't competing with one another anywhere (that I know of). If they were; I could understand why they would want viable competition. In other words; merging the two companies wouldn't eliminate any customers' choices; because they don't hve a choice between TWC and Comcast to begin with.

Okay, the only reason I sort of revived this thread from Paul S. about Comcast to begin with from awhile ago is that I was looking for a reason as to why TWC - Milwaukee has not had any HD channel additions for some time vs. other TWC locations throughout the country, our location being complete out of the picture.
Sinclair has done the agreement, yet no CWHD (channel 518 at least), INHD2 left us without a replacement and so on.
Assumption here was maybe the Twin Cities got Comcast and maybe we were getting it as a replacement due to something with that whole Adelphia thing awhile back, that's all. HD channels additions seemed to stop for Houston,TX, too, right before acquistion it would seem, same as us.
Since no one wants to tell us anything when we call TWC, I was grasping for some answers.

gparris

Quote from: PaulKTF;37681Okay; but I'm not quite sure I understand- Comcast and Time Warner aren't competing with one another anywhere (that I know of). If they were; I could understand why they would want viable competition. In other words; merging the two companies wouldn't eliminate any customers' choices; because they don't hve a choice between TWC and Comcast to begin with.

Okay, the only reason I sort of revived this thread from Paul S. about Comcast to begin with from awhile ago is that I was looking for a reason as to why TWC - Milwaukee has not had any HD channel additions for some time vs. other TWC locations throughout the country.

It appears that our location has been left out completely out of the picture with any HD channel additions whatsoever.
For example, Sinclair has done the agreement with TWC for weeks now, yet no CWHD (channel 518 at least), INHD2 left us without a replacement and so on.

MY assumption here was maybe the Twin Cities got Comcast and maybe we were getting it as a replacement due to something with that whole Adelphia thing awhile back, that's all.
HD channels additions seemed to stop for Houston,TX, too, right before acquistion it would seem, same as us.
Since no one wants to tell us anything when we call TWC, I was grasping for some answers.

Paul S.

Quote from: PaulKTF;37665Is there any way you can get this person's name and contact them for more information? I'm not saying I'm doubting you; but I am kind of doubting what the TWC rep said...

No- It was quite awhile ago! All I can say is I know what I heard lol My wife was right there and heard it, too. I wish I had his info, i'm sure he could use a good shoe to the pants.