News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

8300hd?

Started by djbrain, Thursday Feb 08, 2007, 04:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djbrain

Is that the one HD DVR available?

I'm going to try to pick one up tonight. Haven't used DVR yet. Was curious which one everyone has had good experiences with...

THANKS!

Gregg Lengling

I think that is the only one they have anymore.  I've had mine a year or so with no real problems.  But we'll wait until they put their new navigator firmware on it...I hate the new firmware.  
Are you sure they have them in stock, I heard recently they were all out of HD boxes period.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

djbrain

I'll call over there in a second... saw the phone # for Mayfair  posted somewhere around here...

djbrain

Mayfair and Southridge just told me they could put me on a waiting list. 1 - 2 weeks!!!

Now that is great customer service!:bang:

Gregg Lengling

Aren't you glad you called before you hit the cold outdoors?:D
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

1-2 weeks ain't bad. I called D* to upgrade to the HR20 in January... Mine is coming on the 17th!
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

flash

My brother called also and said they were putting him on a 1-2 week waiting list also.
He gets his new 58" Panny Plasma delivered and no way to watch HDTV.:bang:

Does anyone know what the reason is for the 8300 shortages?
I've had to take mine in for replacement a couple of times (over the past year) and they just handed me over a new one in exchange.

djbrain

If you are a new subscriber they will give you one, I believe... I called a couple times and they ask, "Are you upgrading?" which leads me to believe they will give it to you if you are a new subscriber.

Also... they have three 8300HD boxes on display at Mayfair, but they can't give me one??? WTF is that?:mad:

gparris

TWC has had shortages before of the 8300HD boxes, but now its probably for a different reason, that more subs have HDTVs.

TWC: Take it the right way: It's not because everyone loves your vast number of HD channels, but that your HD subscriber base is growing!

(Hint: Now is the time to add more HD channels, okay?):rolleyes:

djbrain

I just called Mayfair again, and the woman I spoke with said it is a 3 to 4 week wait. I asked what happened to 7-10 days? She says they have been telling people 3 to 4 weeks.

Here is the email I sent to TWC

To the CEO and Board members,

How is it possible that the HUGE Conglomerate Time Warner is unable to
provide services to their customers which Time Warner is advertising
on its website and TV?

When I called to inquire about picking a new box up, I was told I
would have to wait 7 to 12 days. So I put my name on the waiting list.
I have been put on a waiting list for an HD DVR box because apparently
TIME WARNER cannot get enough boxes from it's suppliers??? Now I
called today to see if my box was available and I was told it would 3
to 4 weeks???

Why is it that when Time Warner needs something else done, such as
things on Capitol Hill, Time Warner's weight is thrown around, but
when it comes to your subcribers, this is the type of treatment we
recieve. You are more than happy to take our hundreds of dollars every
month, but what we receive in return is sub-standard.

I will be signing the petition for AT&T. Maybe a little competition
will light a fire under your asses!

What a load of crap!:bang: :bang:

LowSignal

It's not like it's ONLY TWC that is having a hard time getting the SA8300HD's. There arent enough to go around what do you want them to do? Im sure if you bitched enough on the TWC drone phone you could get a HDDVR sooner.

vijimur

djbrian.. cannot agree with you more.. It's been 3 weeks since I was placed on their wait list...same story with me.. a week's estimate turned into 2 and now it is past 3 weeks..Am seriously considering saying 'Goodbye' to TWC.. (would rather stick to OTA given the fact that I dont have a clear sight to south and hence cannot have D* either)...

Mikey

I really think having a non-dish competitor will change the way we TWC customers are treated and the programming (or lack thereof) we get for the high (IMO) costs.

It is too bad, but it seems that is the only thing that will change TW Wisconsin.  They don't seem to care about their customers enough right now.  I know I myself can't leave them as I rent and am unable to mount/use the DTV dish.  But, once a non-dish competitor rolls in, I guarantee we'll see immediate improvements on TW's end, both in programming and customer service...problem is, it will be too late for them to retain a certain percentage of their current base.  If they could only show some initiative and willingness to deliver to us programming equivalent to WHAT THEY CHARGE along with improving their own CS departments knowledge and attitude BEFORE a competitor rolls in, they may be able to retain more of their current subscriber base once real competition comes to SE Wisconsin.  I don't see that happening though, sadly.

I am very much welcoming SOMEONE to come in and force TW to change their current "business plan".

djbrain

FYI-

My wife called again yesterday and noone could give her ANY timeframe. First, it was 7-10 days, then it was 2-3 weeks, and then last week it was maybe 2 months!!! My wife complained and asked for a supervisor. She was told a supervisor would call by 8 pm last night. IT NEVER HAPPENED!star-wars-smiley-023

So, my wife called again this morning and let them have it again. They transferred her to the telemarketing department and ***Voila*** they put us on the list to get a box. I just had to go to either the Mayfair or Southridge store to pick one up.

I went to Mayfair at lunch, and waited 15 minutes. I've got an HD DVR box!!:rock:

Now hopefully it works!!

remember: the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

gparris

Not to give TWC any pats on the back, so to speak, but a friend of mine who had TWC HD service with her 8300HD DVR for some time left to Minneapolis (job transfer) where Comcast took over TWC and the result was an installation with a SD STB, not even a DVR or HD standard box.
Comcast forgot her's was a HD installation, even though the call for install was made in advance, the HD service was even clear on the install ticket.
So she called me up, somewhat frantically:
"Aren't there supposed to be component output type red-green-blue holes on  the back of the box?" and I said yes.
The installer was without a clue and the office said they were out of HD DVRs when we called them.
On this conference call, I inquired about ANY HD boxes, even non-DVR, but the CSR and supervisor said they were out of those too.
Point is: so it could be WORSE here, for boxes, not HD channel additions (of which they have had many).
BTW, Comcast will not be charging her for ANY HD service or channels until she has the box she wants - and gets it!

The nice thing about it all is,  if they don't soon do enough for her, (like get her at least an HD box) Comcast Minnesota will be with one less subscriber, going to Dish or Directv service for her HDTV needs.
With satellite service, the box is always yours in some way (always the same box), no waiting for the cable company to get more boxes and the HD national channels are the same wherever you live, not what some local cable company deciding (like ours) what it wants to deliver.
In the case of the Mpls, all FOUR HD network locals are available on both of the dish services- unlike here...so her options are open.