• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Weigel tried to buy Channel 49 WJJA last year, and now they're suing them...

Started by PaulKTF, Saturday Feb 18, 2006, 10:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKTF

I just saw this on Radio-info.com (which links to the article) and thought it was quite interesting:

http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=659806&Board=wisconsin

I had no idea this deal had been in place; much less that it fell through until I saw that! Wonder what this means for the future of WJJA, if anything?
-Paul

bradsmainsite

PaulKTF

Quote from: bradsmainsiteHopefully no more shopping! and real programing. :rolleyes:

Maybe- If Weigel wins the lawsuit...
-Paul

SRW1000

Quote from: bradsmainsiteHopefully no more shopping! and real programing. :rolleyes:
I don't know if we'd really want this.  I could see them adding the station to 58, so we'd be sharing the HD feed with both WMLW and this station.

More multi-casting is not good.

Scott

wxndave

Keep in mind WJJA is a fun power station. I think they still have a construction permit for capitol drive.  They could always modify it and move it to the 58 tower.  not to mention they have a digital ch 48 assignment.  It could mean more sports.

Dave

techguy1975

Quote from: wxndaveKeep in mind WJJA is a fun power station.

A fun-powered station?   Wow...I didnt know a station could be powered by fun!!  :rofl:   I think the application to move to Milwaukee was turned down by the city, that may of been to build their own tower though..  They could always re-locate to an existing tower in the tower farm..  But, even from Racine, they put a decent signal into the city...

wxndave

Sorry about fun power.  Yes the city would not give them a permit to build a new tower.  However there is room on 58 tower for 2 more stations.  Currently ch 49 transmitter is located Just south of Ryan road on Oak Wood road.

Dave

Neilium

$7 Million??

http://gallery.bostonradio.org/2004-07/mke/100-02091-lrg.html

http://gallery.bostonradio.org/2004-07/mke/100-02090-lrg.jpg

http://gallery.bostonradio.org/2004-07/mke/100-02089-lrg.jpg

I know they are "Incredible" as the sign and Legal ID say. But it honestly can't be worth that much. I doubt there is a "nice" production facility there. But I could  be wrong.

John L

Quote from: wxndaveKeep in mind WJJA is a fun power station. I think they still have a construction permit for capitol drive.  They could always modify it and move it to the 58 tower.  not to mention they have a digital ch 48 assignment.  It could mean more sports.

Dave

I was thinking if Weigel Broadcasting took over o & o of WJJA-49 they could consider making it a The CW affiliation since CBS is part of the new network.

I can't see Sinclair Broadcasting willing to affiliate its stations the The CW because from my understanding The CW wants its affiliated stations to pay to affiliate with the new network.  I doubt SBC stations will want to pay to affiliate.  SBC wants cable systems to pay to carry thier DTV signal.

-John L.

PaulKTF

But if it happened that way; then would Sinclair want to keep both WCGV and WVTV on the air or would they shut one of them down?
-Paul

John L

Quote from: PaulKTFBut if it happened that way; then would Sinclair want to keep both WCGV and WVTV on the air or would they shut one of them down?

Why would WVTV and WCGV consider shutting down?  That won't happen before Sinclair sells either one or both of them first.  They most likely be operated as independents like they both were when Sinclair bought them.  At least WVTV was independent, not exactly sure of WCGV.  They may have been FOX when Sincliar bought WCGV.  Both stations were bought seperately several years apart until the FCC allowed an owner to o & o several stations in one market.

In the years to come, should Sinclair loose money, in which I predict will happen.  I can't see how Sinclair will survive because they won't allow cable systems to carry their DTV signal unless the cable company pays them.  We are already seeing Sinclair losing money as several of its stations are discontinuing "NewsCentral".  One of these weeks NewsCentral will eventually dissappear from WVTV.  But once all the analog stations are off and they go strictly DTV, none of teh Sinclair stations will benefit from having their DTV signal available OTA and not cable or satellite, nobody is going to watch them.  UNLESS they break down and offer their DTV signal free to the cable and satellite just like any other TV station.

-John L.

PaulKTF

It's been a few months; has anyone heard any news on this situation? WJJA is still showing Shop At Home/Jewelry Television and Shepherd's Chapel (why?).

I don't understand how this station stays afloat. Who on earth is watching it? Anyone?
-Paul

John L

Paul,

Who watches channel 49?  I have to agree with you.  From my experiences as a Program Director for Muskego's Public Access Channel 14, I would say most people in Muskego would watch my station, ch. 14 over WJJA because I offer school concerts, city festival videos national cooking shows, talk shows, news programs, documentaries, music shows and late Friday and Saturday nights I have Dr. Destruction's Crimson Theater airing old Horror films, you know like the ones that used to be on WVTV's Shock Theater on Saturday nights back in the early 70s?

-John L.
MPAG Program Dir.
Muskego, WI.

PaulKTF

Quote from: John L;37154Paul,

Who watches channel 49?  I have to agree with you.  From my experiences as a Program Director for Muskego's Public Access Channel 14, I would say most people in Muskego would watch my station, ch. 14 over WJJA because I offer school concerts, city festival videos national cooking shows, talk shows, news programs, documentaries, music shows and late Friday and Saturday nights I have Dr. Destruction's Crimson Theater airing old Horror films, you know like the ones that used to be on WVTV's Shock Theater on Saturday nights back in the early 70s?

-John L.
MPAG Program Dir.
Muskego, WI.

John,

Hey; that sounds really cool. If I could; I'd watch that! :)
-Paul