News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Anyone looking to sell an OTA HD Tuner?

Started by Mark Strube, Tuesday Jan 18, 2005, 01:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

I honestly thought by now that TWC would get on the ball and pick up UPN and WB in HD. They haven't, and I'm getting really anxious... Enterprise just doesn't cut it in analog SD (especially after it's been recorded by the DVR). Only problem is I can't find one for under $150-200, which is quite out of my price range at the moment.

So, if anyone has an HD OTA tuner (preferrably with DVI and digital audio out) that they no longer need, I'd definitely be interested in purchasing it.

Just thought it couldn't hurt to put this out there.

brewtownska

Hey, I found a good deal and figured I'd pass it along.  I walked into Circuit City in Brookfield (as I work nearby) last week, and they had the Samsung SIR-T451 on display. I had originally ruled it out, as I wanted something that had RGB so it could work on my projector, as well as component for my main rear-projection display.  Both the Circuit City website details AND the Samsung website details about this receiver mention nothing about RGB, yet when I saw the unit at Circuit City, it DOES have RGB.  So I actually took it into consideration.  Here's where it gets good.  The unit is $249, but there's a $50 rebate (which is actually a $50 VISA card you get by mail, so I don't think you have to use it at Circuit City...but I could be wrong on that).  I know the rebate is good until the first week of February.

The problem now is none of the local stores have any in stock, nor does their website.  If you're interested, keep your eyes on the store's website to see if any come in stock.  I got the last one in the Milwaukee area stores (it was at the Northridge store).  Website shows closest one is 80 miles away in Batavia, IL.

Just to make sure you're aware, the unit is JUST OTA, nothing to do with DirecTV.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Mark Strube

Thanks for the tip! Only problem is it's still out of my price range. I don't want to spend that much because A. I can't, and B. As soon as TWC gets those extra channels, it'll be pretty much useless to me unless I want to watch a 3rd live HD show while the DVR is recording 2, which I can't imagine would be too often.

Matt Heebner

Just to let you know...UPN is not broadcasting anything in HD OTA yet. Neither is PAX. The WB however does have a few HD programs.

Matt

Mark Strube

Enterprise and Veronica Mars aren't in HD??  :eek:

StarvingForHDTV

The UPN network does those shows in HD, but our local station hasn't gotten the equipment in yet to pass the signal through to us in HD (they ordered it a while back).  Of course the digital SD signal still looks better than TWC analog.  I would think the HD equipment for 24-1 should be in fairly soon.

You might try searching eBay for a Samsung SIR-T151 unit.  They are bug free and relatively inexpensive.  No DVI but it does have optical and coaxial digital audio out jacks.

gustavmahler

UnrealityS:

Are you still looking for an OTA tuner?  I have an LG LST-3100A in mint condition that I may be willing to sell within your price range.  Please let me know if you are interested.

Jeremy

I have a Zenith that I could part with.  It is about a year old and is in perfect condition.  I sold my projection TV last weekend in anticipation of moving, so the Zenith sits idle.

If you are interested, let me know and I will grab the model number.  Because of the move, I will be with out internet access for about a week.  I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Snard

Quote from: brewtownskaHey, I found a good deal and figured I'd pass it along.  I walked into Circuit City in Brookfield (as I work nearby) last week, and they had the Samsung SIR-T451 on display. I had originally ruled it out, as I wanted something that had RGB so it could work on my projector, as well as component for my main rear-projection display.  Both the Circuit City website details AND the Samsung website details about this receiver mention nothing about RGB, yet when I saw the unit at Circuit City, it DOES have RGB.  So I actually took it into consideration.  Here's where it gets good.  The unit is $249, but there's a $50 rebate (which is actually a $50 VISA card you get by mail, so I don't think you have to use it at Circuit City...but I could be wrong on that).  I know the rebate is good until the first week of February.

The problem now is none of the local stores have any in stock, nor does their website.  If you're interested, keep your eyes on the store's website to see if any come in stock.  I got the last one in the Milwaukee area stores (it was at the Northridge store).  Website shows closest one is 80 miles away in Batavia, IL.

Just to make sure you're aware, the unit is JUST OTA, nothing to do with DirecTV.

Mike
I saw that same special - and I noticed something else. On //www.circuitcity.com, it says the unit is QAM capable (unscrambled I would assume). So I wonder if it could pinch-hit as a TWTC tuner for the unscrambled HD channels (504-512 I believe), while I work out the details of getting an antenna up? Does anyone have one yet?
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

Mark Strube

Quote from: JeremyI have a Zenith that I could part with.  It is about a year old and is in perfect condition.  I sold my projection TV last weekend in anticipation of moving, so the Zenith sits idle.

If you are interested, let me know and I will grab the model number.  Because of the move, I will be with out internet access for about a week.  I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks for the offer! To be honest, I was more interested when I thought I'd be able to watch Enterprise in HD. I watch a lot of WB shows too, but Enterprise is what would've really put it over the top for me.
Also, I may be getting a new set, which would have a tuner built-in... not quite sure at this point. But again, thanks for the offer! If it's still available sometime later I may still take you up on it.

PJFW8

I have a DTC-100.  It outputs  RGB-HV.  This is an old but robust tuner:  ota and Directv!  It's yours if you pick it up.  I do have a RGB-HV to Component transcoder, but a friend has first dibs.  $50, if he no longer wants it.

SHACKHACK

Visit MyDTV45.com

They sell HDTv ATSC digital tuners, no DVI uses component video, digital audio out  -toslink optical