News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Standard Def Pillar on TWC

Started by bbauter, Monday Dec 04, 2006, 01:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbauter

I have the TWC HD DVR and noticed that when viewing a Standard Def Channel, the Pillars on the sides are gray. Does anyone know if it is able to be changed to Black? I hate stretching the SD out and zooming looses the tops and bottoms of the images. Please help... as always, TWC was not helpful..

hormy_83

One option that works for me is to stretch it on the box - then if your TV supports it and gives black bars set it's mode to 'Normal' or something that "un-stretches" it.  Then you get black bars.

bbauter

Quote from: hormy_83;36305One option that works for me is to stretch it on the box - then if your TV supports it and gives black bars set it's mode to 'Normal' or something that "un-stretches" it.  Then you get black bars.

OK, This does not work, and is really not a solution. Does anyone else have an idea as to how to change the Pillar Bar color from gray to black. My HDTV is calibrated and the blacks are dark, so I know the gray is not from my TV being to bright or not having enough contrast. I am rather disappointed that the default would be gray. I hate having to stretch the video too!

I guess I just can't wait till all SD is dead and HD will rule all the channels!

kevbeck122

I don't think you can change it.  Eventually when they roll out new software, it might go back to black.

jrowland96

As far as I know, you can't change it.   I hate the grey as well, but from what I understand, they updated their software to show grey instead of black sometime about a year ago (before I had HD).

Talos4

I understand black is more pleasing and a less distracting but, the grey is better for your display in preventing the dreaded "Burn in" syndrome.

I don't what type of display you have but Plasma's and CRT RPTV's are the most susceptible to burning in the black bars with extensive SD viewing.

bbauter

One would think that if the past software to the HD tuners had Black Pillars, they would at least give the option of that and gray during an update. I guess I am too logical... Thank You everyone for your help. I guess I need to start complaining. I can't prefface how much I hate gray pillars! I'll let you know what I find out after calling TWC.

Also, thank to the Forum! You all Rock!

pacca

When you get the new software TW,in which they gave to me ,you will have black bars.

FiberOptic

picopir8

Tell the cable box that your TV supports 480i/p.  Then the cable box will not upconvert the signal before sending to your TV.  Your TV will then upconvert the signal and add its own side bars (which are hopefully black or configurable).  The only problem with this solution is that you might get some flickering when switching between channels that have different resolutions.