• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Darwin and the TV Tower Mannequin Incident

Started by Tom Snyder, Sunday Dec 10, 2006, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

I hope the doofus who hung a mannequin on the CBS58 TV tower believes his little prank was worth giving up his life for.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,235744,00.html

So many watts are emanating from that tower right now?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Tom Snyder;36457I hope the doofus who hung a mannequin on the CBS58 TV tower believes his little prank was worth giving up his life for.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,235744,00.html

So many watts are emanating from that tower right now?
Well there are many factors.....channel 58 (megawatts), channel 46 (around a megawatt I think), Microwave links, possible FM transmitters.  Milwaukee County 800 MHz trunking system (Last count around 16 channels at 150 watts per channel RF with probably gain antennas for an ERP around 15kw).  Just real idiots.  Even Higgin's crew wore RF suits even though they switched to the backup antennas after they passed them at reduced power.......

You are right total idiots.

However I can't believe someone didn't notice this sooner,  they say there were no foot prints in the snow, so that means it was done before December 1st.....DOH!
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

flash

WOW. I didn't even know any of this had gone on. Thanks for posting the link to the article.
I used to work with Tom Reep at US Cellular and he lives in the area.
I've been working with Higgins Tower service for over the last 4 years and they
are the best in the business for quality workmanship. I guess I'll have to call Mark and get the poop on what happened.

hggeorge

Who ever did it couldn't believe how warm it was at 1200 feet.  As Greg knows this would be like walking into a microwave oven and running it at high power.  Because of the lower frequencies it's a slower cooking from the outside into your  body.  Remember all the studies about the danger of cell phone radiation.  They run much less then 1 WATT.

George Menart K9GM
Howards Grove, WI

Neilium

WISN has some good video on the web of it.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10502070/detail.html#

Got a good chuckle out of me being a former employee of WDJT. The guy who did it can have fun being sterile the rest of his life now.

flash

I talked to the guys today and the funny part is they didn't wear any "lead suit" like the news cast says. They just climbed up and brought the dummy down.

.....can't say much more because of the ongoing investigation...........;)

Neilium

MPD lie? no.....  I am sure it was some scare tactic to get the person to turn themselves in. I have never been out to the WDJT transmitter in Lincoln park. But from what i have seen from security feeds it seems pretty secure. I doubt your average Joe could climb  with a dummy in hand. The photo appears that there was some sort of suits worn when taking the dummy down.

http://www2.jsonline.com/multimedia/graphic.asp?graphic=http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/news/img/dec06/dummy_121006_big.jpg

flash

Quote from: Neilium;36488The photo appears that there was some sort of suits worn when taking the dummy down.

http://www2.jsonline.com/multimedia/graphic.asp?graphic=http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/news/img/dec06/dummy_121006_big.jpg

The guys who climbed the tower were wearing Carhartt full length coveralls.
I'll post pics of the crew and dummy after they arrest the guilty party. ;)

Joseph S

Wouldn't it be extremely difficult to climb that thing being weighed down by a lead suit? Has it been determined that the direction of the signal hasn't been improved for certain members with rejected waivers? :D

Tom Snyder

QuoteHas it been determined that the direction of the signal hasn't been improved for certain members with rejected waivers?
I wish.. actually if all it wil take is hanging a dummy on the Fox6 tower... ;)
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

kwinrich

Quote from: flash;36484I talked to the guys today and the funny part is they didn't wear any "lead suit" like the news cast says. They just climbed up and brought the dummy down.

.....can't say much more because of the ongoing investigation...........;)

Lead suit.  HA.  Try climbing a 1200' tower in clothes alone!  WDJTs tower is one of the few tall towers that does not have an elevator on it.  I cannot imagine how these people didnt kill themselves without climbing equipment and carrying the dummy up the tower.  They must be in pretty good shape to do this (and no brains).

Having been to most of the major towers in Milwaukee, security gets pretty lax.  Some do have some good measures implemented.  

5 MEGA (thats MILLION) watts out of ch 58:eek: , PLUS the HD signal, PLUS 41 and 61, PLUS 102.1.  Yes the Darwin theory will come to play here.  I doubt these people(s) will be able to pass their genes (thank GOD).

In the Urinal/Sentinel article, they said the people would have radiation poisoning.  Like they were carrying around radioactivity or something.:rolleyes:  

Of course this isnt the first time this has happened.  Channel Six had the Shorewood High School banner at the top one morning.

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: kwinrich;36617Lead suit.  HA.  Try climbing a 1200' tower in clothes alone!  WDJTs tower is one of the few tall towers that does not have an elevator on it.  I cannot imagine how these people didnt kill themselves without climbing equipment and carrying the dummy up the tower.  They must be in pretty good shape to do this (and no brains).

Having been to most of the major towers in Milwaukee, security gets pretty lax.  Some do have some good measures implemented.  

5 MEGA (thats MILLION) watts out of ch 58:eek: , PLUS the HD signal, PLUS 41 and 61, PLUS 102.1.  Yes the Darwin theory will come to play here.  I doubt these people(s) will be able to pass their genes (thank GOD).

In the Urinal/Sentinel article, they said the people would have radiation poisoning.  Like they were carrying around radioactivity or something.:rolleyes:  

Of course this isnt the first time this has happened.  Channel Six had the Shorewood High School banner at the top one morning.

Reminds me of the joke -- three women see a streaker at their social club.  Said streaker is naked, but has a bag over his head.  Woman 1: well, that isn't MY husband!  Woman 2: not mine either!  Woman 3 (a bit of a tart): relax, girls, he doesn't even belong to the club!

So, as an ancient Shorewood High grad, I can assure you that the moron(s) who got his/their cojones fried -- those guys didn't ever go to Shorewood.  Any dope who'd climb a 1200-ft. tower and risk death or, worse, sterility, couldn't possibly have gone to Shorewood, and most probably didn't get out of third grade anywhere.

Stan Kritzik

StoneOak

I work for  a tower company and the general practice when climbing a broadcast tower is this: when we get close to the transmitter, they lower the power on it, and as soon as we pass it they go back to full power.