News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Lost WISN 12.1 OTA when the rain started.

Started by LucasD, Monday Nov 27, 2006, 11:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucasD

Hello everyone.

I just purchased a new Panasonic TH42PX60U 42" plasma TV with an integrated HD tuner.

I had been getting acceptable HD performance from my standard roof top antenna, but PBS 36.1 was pixelating and losing audio every minute or two, despite the fact that the signal strength was reported as 97%, so I puchased a DB2 antenna from Antenna's Direct.

I mounted the DB2 below my standard roof top antenna and ran both of them into a signal joiner (also from Antenna's Direct).

Signal strength on all HD channels is now reported as 98%, but 36.1 still pixelates and loses audio. It's very frustrating because it happens so often.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, but it's not my major issue.

Anyway... Last night I was watching channel 12.1 in beautiful clarity, when all of the sudden it started pixelating very badly and eventually my television reported that it had lost the signal.  That is when I heard the rain on the window.  The signal strength had dropped to 74%!.  All of the other HD channels were still fine.

I can't believe that this kind of performance is normal.  I hope it isn't normal if they really what to replace SD broadcast television with HD.

Any advice?

I'm in North Milwaukee.  Five miles from WISN's HD tower as reported by antenna web.   I have the DB2 pointing due East.

I was hoping to watch the Packer game in HD tonight, but with rain in the forecast, I'll probably have to drop to SD.  :(

bradsmainsite

Well to start is your combiner of these 2 antennas outside and also what other antenna besides the db2 do you have and why are you combining 2 antennas?

Next if you connections are outside are they water tight snap-n-seal connectors
or are the the twist on type?

Lets start there and based on your answers will see if we can help;)

mhz40

Combining antennas is sort of a science, as they can interact with each other based on their relative positions and in your case the fact that they are 'joined'.
You should be able to search the net for formulas and examples for information, as it is general knowledge (but is rarely practiced).  Any interaction depends on antenna types, the frequencies they are receiving, their proximity to one another and the differences in directions each are pointed.
Beyond the good advice bradsmainsite provided above,  I'd move the antennas farther apart.   Next time you have problems, connect your TV to only one antenna, just to see if the problem goes away.
Although it's unlikely at UHF frequencies, there also could simply be some sort of interference being generated around your house or in the neighborhood that may be causing the short disturbances.
It's frustrating when things go from 'perfect' to 'terrible'; but its the reality in this mpeg world.  I realize this is not a direct answer to your problem, but I hope helps a bit.

Good luck!