News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Cable PQ vs DirecTV PQ should I switch?

Started by dslomski, Wednesday Nov 22, 2006, 02:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dslomski

I've been reading a lot about pixilation, sound drops, and HD-Lite on DirecTV.  I curently have Charter cable and hate them to death.  However, I do have a good picture (on HD channels anyway, SD are aweful on the Moxi box).

Is DirecTV really that bad?  I want the HR20 box and will go with the MPEG4 locals except for CBS I'd have to get OTA when that's enabled.

Thanks
DAVE

Chinatown

I have been a subsriber for 5 years. Would never go back to any kind of cable. Both SD & HD programming is crystal clear.  Live in West Allis & Get my OTA's with a $50.00 Radio Shack outdoor antenna.

The main difference is the signal you get is yours & not being shared by millions of others.  I am sure you have read where they will be adding numerous HD programming in 2007.

By the way, I declined the locals with my HR 20. You should then qualify for  the NY Hd feeds from Fox & ABC. It is really nice getting that extra NFL game or 2  on Sunday.

In addition, the NFL network games will all be in HD ( Channel 95)

Loss of signal?, collectively, about 10 minutes a year. :)

Nuff Said.

Mark Strube

The picture quality of standard definition with Cable really depends on your area and the strength of the signal. In some cases DirecTV or DISH might look better because you have a very bad (analog) signal, in some cases if you have a very good Cable signal, the dishes will look worse.

I can tell you from experience, Cable's digital channels VS. Dish Network's digital channels... the cable versions look much better. I'm going to guess that Cable is just passing thru the digital feed directly from the networks, while Dish is re-encoding the video (because they do not use standard 720x480, it's slightly downsized).

I don't have enough experience to give you a definitive answer on DirecTV digital Vs. Cable digital. However, Cable analog Vs. any dish digital (all of the channels with both of the dish services are digital) just depends on your situation.

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Milwaukee12

Quote from: Chinatown;36134I have been a subsriber for 5 years. Would never go back to any kind of cable. Both SD & HD programming is crystal clear.  Live in West Allis & Get my OTA's with a $50.00 Radio Shack outdoor antenna.

The main difference is the signal you get is yours & not being shared by millions of others.  I am sure you have read where they will be adding numerous HD programming in 2007.

By the way, I declined the locals with my HR 20. You should then qualify for  the NY Hd feeds from Fox & ABC. It is really nice getting that extra NFL game or 2  on Sunday.

Nuff Said.

I think we are only able to get Fox because WITI is the only O&O in Milwaukee.

Blitzburgh

Quote from: dslomski;36133I've been reading a lot about pixilation, sound drops, and HD-Lite on DirecTV.  I curently have Charter cable and hate them to death.  However, I do have a good picture (on HD channels anyway, SD are aweful on the Moxi box).

Is DirecTV really that bad?  I want the HR20 box and will go with the MPEG4 locals except for CBS I'd have to get OTA when that's enabled.

Thanks
DAVE

Been with DirecTV since Aug 1995. would never change to cable or Dish Network.

DTV's picture is every bit as clear or clearer and there programming cannot be touched by either.

picopir8

I had D* for about 6 yrs and went back to cable 2 yrs ago.

Cable looks better on digital channels.
Cable can look far worse on digital channels but at my location they are very crisp.
Cable locals look much better than satellite (even if they are crummy analog signals) because satellite locals tend to be overly compressed and pixelated.
Most cable complanies now offer more channels than satellite.
Cable DVR service also includes on-demand programming which is a huge bonus.

Given these facts, cable has the edge but if satellite every catches up, I will gladly switch back since I am not under contract.

qawsed

You've been a D* subscriber for 5 years?  You really don't see the difference in HD picture quality then vs. now?  Even the most ardent D* fans agree that their HD picture isn't anywhere near what it should be.  

This post sounds like cheerleading for D*.  

Quote from: Chinatown;36134I have been a subsriber for 5 years. Would never go back to any kind of cable. Both SD & HD programming is crystal clear.  Live in West Allis & Get my OTA's with a $50.00 Radio Shack outdoor antenna.

Nuff Said.

Talos4

QuoteYou've been a D* subscriber for 5 years? You really don't see the difference in HD picture quality then vs. now? Even the most ardent D* fans agree that their HD picture isn't anywhere near what it should be.

This post sounds like cheerleading for D*.

Uh Oh:eek:  I can see where this may go...

Anyway,

I've been a D* subscriber since 97, cable before that. Haven't looked back.

Now, After many visits to freinds and family with TWC, IMO I'm happy with D*.  

With D* & TWC there are channels that look good, great and just plain lousy.

Each has it's equipment issues.

Perfection is hard to attain.

No Cheerleading here, D* for TV, TWC for Broadband and VOIP.