News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Tv-guide on screen Trouble!!!

Started by h_gellings, Tuesday Nov 21, 2006, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboy

Quote from: MikeB;36241Channel 10 is no longer transmitting TV Guide for StarSite. The last I was aware of the TV Guide was transmitted by WITI TV6 in Milwaukee. Try a WEB search for Gemstar TV Guide or go to:
http://www.gemstartvguide.com or
http://www.tvguideonscreen.com/ for more info

Channel 10 does transmit the time signal for many receivers. Our digital transmitters do also transmit Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP). It is a requirement of the FCC that is still being implimeted in various ways by different stations. The PSIP contains a type of OTA guide (EIT and ETT) which is a guide to our digital and analog programming and content. It lists up to three days of information about only our programming and some content information depending on the receiver you are using. It is not "TV Guide".

Not to be confused with PSIP EPG from a digital OTA station.
Channel 10 is still sending out TVGuide info on line 17.  Just took a look at the vertical interval.
Channel 6 is sending out TVGuide data as well.

Who is StarSite?

h_gellings

hi just bought a new sony bravia kdl-46z4100 with tv guide onscreen.  i get all digital channels in the area.  reception is good but tv guide doesnt update.  its been gathering channel info for a week now, no listings yet.  question is when will the channel listings get broadcasted digitally?  is it still getting broadcasted analog? any one have any contacts who they could hook up with to find out this information?

SRW1000

Quote from: h_gellings;48201hi just bought a new sony bravia kdl-46z4100 with tv guide onscreen.  i get all digital channels in the area.  reception is good but tv guide doesnt update.  its been gathering channel info for a week now, no listings yet.  question is when will the channel listings get broadcasted digitally?  is it still getting broadcasted analog? any one have any contacts who they could hook up with to find out this information?
Channel 10 is still broadcasting the analog version.

We don't know what the future will hold for the digital version.  There is supposed to be an agreement between CBS and TV Guide, so maybe channel 58 will start broadcasting the digital version before the analog cutoff date.  I did another test tonight, and didn't receive any data from 58.

I started a thread about this six months ago, but so far nobody has answered the question.

Scott

Buy_The_Tie

I too am waiting to find out what happens to TVGOS.  I have an older Panasonic SD DVR with the TV Guide built in.  I've also purchased a DTVPal, which supposedly will convert the digital TVGOS back into the analog TVGOS my Panasonic will accept.  This is an awful lot of magic to get working, I have my fingers crossed.

Tom Snyder

I have it on good authority that TV Guide Data should be up and running now for the entire market for the new TV sets that can decode the TV guide Data..
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

SRW1000

Quote from: Tom Snyder;48375I have it on good authority that TV Guide Data should be up and running now for the entire market for the new TV sets that can decode the TV guide Data..
Tom,

Can you share the station that's broadcasting the info?  I'd like to set the host channel of my HD DVR to it, so it can start grabbing the digital guide info.

Thanks,

Scott

Tom Snyder

My good authority was Jim Hall, so if it's coming from a single source, 58 would be it.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

SRW1000

Quote from: Tom Snyder;48379My good authority was Jim Hall, so if it's coming from a single source, 58 would be it.
Thanks, Tom.

I just verified that 58.1 is passing VBI information to my Sony HD-DVR now.

This is very good news! :D

Scott

SRW1000

Just an update to this, I left my HD DVR tuned to 58.1 last night, and didn't shut it off.  This morning I had complete guide info, so the TV Guide stream is definitely being passed digitally by WDJT!

Thank you, Jim Hall!{cheers}

Scott

cjucoder

Quote from: SRW1000;48396Just an update to this, I left my HD DVR tuned to 58.1 last night, and didn't shut it off.  This morning I had complete guide info, so the TV Guide stream is definitely being passed digitally by WDJT!

Thank you, Jim Hall!{cheers}

Scott
Excellent news!  But I'm confused, why didn't you shut off the DVR? Wouldn't leaving it off be a better test since that is when it downloads guide data and builds the listings?

cjucoder

In case someone other than Scott and myself have one of these boxes, here is the procedure for changing Sony DHG-HDDxxx DVRs to a digital host channel...

http://www.spiffspace.com/forum/index.php?topic=25.0

I like the spiffspace forums since it is much easier to find things then in that humungo AVS forums thread for basic info like this.

I'm anxious to try this, but I have a lot of shows scheduled this week and am not in the mood to redo everything if it doesn't work.  Maybe I'll wait a couple weeks until I know I'll be home a lot to manually record if necessary.

SRW1000

Quote from: cjucoder;48412Excellent news!  But I'm confused, why didn't you shut off the DVR? Wouldn't leaving it off be a better test since that is when it downloads guide data and builds the listings?
The particular HD DVR that I have will only download analog TV Guide info if it's turned off.  It's long been speculated that it might work with the digital version of the guide, but that's only recently been confirmed through user tests.  (There's a thread about it on the AVS forum.)

If I had turned it off, it wouldn't have proven anything, since it would have just uploaded the guide off of analog Channel 10.  By leaving it on and tuned to 58.1, it proves that it was receiving guide info via the digital stream, otherwise there wouldn't have been any info available for day 8.

This may not be an accurate test for other devices that can capture the digital guide, and my only apply to my particular model.

Scott

cjucoder

Quote from: SRW1000;48421If I had turned it off, it wouldn't have proven anything, since it would have just uploaded the guide off of analog Channel 10.
I assumed you changed your host channel from 10-0 to 58-1. Sounds like you didn't do that, so a bad assumption on my part.  I assumed that because of --->

Quote from: SRW1000;48421By leaving it on and tuned to 58.1, it proves that it was receiving guide info via the digital stream, otherwise there wouldn't have been any info available for day 8.
Scott
I had no idea these boxes did that!  I thought they ONLY processed guide data when OFF.  So if you never turn off the box, but leave it on and tuned to either 10-0 or 58-1 it will keep the guide updated????  And here I thought I really understood these Sony DVRs.

SRW1000

Quote from: cjucoder;48432I had no idea these boxes did that!  I thought they ONLY processed guide data when OFF.  So if you never turn off the box, but leave it on and tuned to either 10-0 or 58-1 it will keep the guide updated????  And here I thought I really understood these Sony DVRs.
If the your guide channel is set to the analog station, and there's no digital guide being broadcast, and you leave the unit turned on, it will not update the guide.

If you leave the DVR turned on and tuned to a digital station that broadcasts the guide signal, with the unit will download the guide.

In summary, analog host stations required the unit to be turned off.  The digital guide will work with the unit turned off, or if it's left on and tuned to the digital host station).

It does get kind of confusing, and I have no idea how any other models function.  This could just be a quirk of the Sony units.

Scott

SRW1000

Quote from: cjucoder;48413In case someone other than Scott and myself have one of these boxes, here is the procedure for changing Sony DHG-HDDxxx DVRs to a digital host channel...

http://www.spiffspace.com/forum/index.php?topic=25.0

I like the spiffspace forums since it is much easier to find things then in that humungo AVS forums thread for basic info like this.

I'm anxious to try this, but I have a lot of shows scheduled this week and am not in the mood to redo everything if it doesn't work.  Maybe I'll wait a couple weeks until I know I'll be home a lot to manually record if necessary.
That is a great resource, and he's also set up a dedicated forum just for these units.

Please remember that these particular Sony HD DVRs are still a little flaky with the digital guide.  Some seem to keep the digital host, while others revert back to the analog host after a short time.

I've decided not to switch to the digital host station yet, since it doesn't seem stable yet.  As we get closer to February, I'll make the switch.

Scott