News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Tv-guide on screen Trouble!!!

Started by h_gellings, Tuesday Nov 21, 2006, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Tom Snyder;36109So even though my DirecTV program guides are coming from the Satellite, the guides for my local HD channels, which I get OTA, are coming from a local analog channel?
All my Directv boxes get all the guide info from the sats...they didn't have the software to get it from the ATSC receiver...I doubt that's changed.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

h_gellings

After playing with the CC a bit I was able to get channel 10 to come in clearer thru my rabbit ears up here in Slinger.  I was playing with the reception for probably a good fifteen minutes and by chance I went into the guide and my screen now displays "no listings".  Much better than the "no data for this screen" msg.  I think this means that the guide initialized as now when I do the hack to see my host channel it now displays channel 10 like expected whereas before it was blank.  I will leave the rabbit ears hooked up over night and cross my fingers that it works good.  I thank God! :)

For the previous post, my guess is satellite guide gets you your local channel listing.  For me I go over the air with a strong directional uhf antenna to get a good signal from the towers in milwaukee.  My hdtv has "tv guide on screen" built in so I essentially get a free guide (just as good as satellite and all free).  Just only get local hd channels.  Google tv guide on screen to see the guide if you're interested.  Like I said before, I'm crossing my fingers that I have some listings by tomorrow and if I do looks like I'll be purchasing a vgood vhf antenna from antennasdirect also to put in my attic.  I'll keep everyone posted.  Thanks for all the help guys.  Couldn't have done it without ya.:rofl:

h_gellings

PS I also think needing to turn off your TV is just so it can tune to the host channel.  I think I proved if your tuned in and watching the host channel that the guide system can download listings at the same time as I never had the tv turned off while I was working on getting better reception.

Jimboy

Just remember it can take up to a full week to get the complete guide. It typically isn't a quick process.

h_gellings

Thanks Jimboy...and yes I did have some listings by this morning...now I just need to see if my uhf antenna will continue to bring them in since the lg initialized...one last question, in 09 when analog goes down the drain, does anyone know were the tv guide encoders will get the data stream from?  Will my current encoder be smart enough to intercept the digital stream as I'm assuming it will get sent digitally???  Thanks all for your help.  It's awesome how the web brings information to you when you look for it...I guess that's why it's called the information highway.  Until a few days ago I didn't even know there was a milwaukeehdtv.org and now I have my onscreen guide working.  Cool!

:)

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: h_gellings;36123Thanks Jimboy...and yes I did have some listings by this morning...now I just need to see if my uhf antenna will continue to bring them in since the lg initialized...one last question, in 09 when analog goes down the drain, does anyone know were the tv guide encoders will get the data stream from?  Will my current encoder be smart enough to intercept the digital stream as I'm assuming it will get sent digitally???  Thanks all for your help.  It's awesome how the web brings information to you when you look for it...I guess that's why it's called the information highway.  Until a few days ago I didn't even know there was a milwaukeehdtv.org and now I have my onscreen guide working.  Cool!

:)
For JimBoy earlier in this thread:
"They are currently testing ATSC TVGuide encoders in various locations. I was told WPNE in Green Bay has one. He didn't mention Milwaukee.
The newer ATSC receivers with TVGuide capability will default to a digital station if one is in the area."
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

h_gellings

PS again, I had listings up til about 4am Friday morning.  So, I think I'll probably have the full 8 day listing in another couple days at that rate.

h_gellings

Thanks for the reply.  Any idea what the "newer ATSC encoders" are.  Are these to come in newer models or are they already packaged with hdtvs...(I think I read that they are).  If so any way to find out if my lg is ready for 09?  Any way to know when channel 10 will switch digital?

h_gellings

I meant newer ATSC decoders/recievers...sorry

Jimboy

Quote from: h_gellings;36126Thanks for the reply.  Any idea what the "newer ATSC encoders" are.  Are these to come in newer models or are they already packaged with hdtvs...(I think I read that they are).  If so any way to find out if my lg is ready for 09?  Any way to know when channel 10 will switch digital?

2004 and newer sets with built in TVGuide should be good to go in 2009.

h_gellings

Cool.  Thanks jimboy...(I hope anyone looking to get tv guide on screen working finds this post...)

h_gellings

Hi, back again...I can get closed captioning to work good on channel 10 thru my uhf antenna but doesn't seem to download the listings.  If I hook up my rabbit ears my reception is much better but closed captioning isn't any better.  Thru the ears I get some listings, thru just the uhf antenna I don't.  So, does anyone know whether it's the better reception that allows the data to be downloaded.  This is all I can figure out.  I may need to combine my uhf signal with a vhf one in order to get the listings which is fine (it's worth it), but I'm just curious to know from an expert what there opinion is or if they know what is going on.  THanks all

h_gellings

My guide now says "Updated information will be available within 24 hours.  The guide is rebuilding your channel list based on your setup change."  Does anyone know why it now says this?  Does anyone have a contact with tv guide to pose this question.  I've waited well over 24 hours, the guide still downloads listing as I can go to the search menu and I see new listings 8 days out, and when I check if it has a host channel it does not.  I stuck my vhf rabbit ears up in the attic and recently set some channels not to display in the listings section thru the tv guide setup.  Anyone have any ideas or know anyone who could explain better.  Thanks

MikeB

Channel 10 is no longer transmitting TV Guide for StarSite. The last I was aware of the TV Guide was transmitted by WITI TV6 in Milwaukee. Try a WEB search for Gemstar TV Guide or go to:
http://www.gemstartvguide.com or
http://www.tvguideonscreen.com/ for more info

Channel 10 does transmit the time signal for many receivers. Our digital transmitters do also transmit Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP). It is a requirement of the FCC that is still being implimeted in various ways by different stations. The PSIP contains a type of OTA guide (EIT and ETT) which is a guide to our digital and analog programming and content. It lists up to three days of information about only our programming and some content information depending on the receiver you are using. It is not "TV Guide".

h_gellings

I think it's channel 10 that sends the tv guide on screen data stream.  Someone else mentioned it was and also when my tv was on my tv guide on screen initialized (while it was on tuned to channel 10).  That could only have happened if it was channel 10 I believe.  My guess is that the channel needs to come in crystal clear in order for the TVGOS to work though as once I put my ears in the attic and the reception degraded a bit, I still got updated listings, but eventually got the "24 hours" msg I indicated in an earlier reply.  I don't know 100% sure why I got that but I might have to buy a stronger antenna I'm guessing to keep the signal strong.  It's wierd, closed captioning comes in correctly with no hiccups so I don't really understand why the tv guide doesn't work even though the reception degraded a bit.