• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Road Runner speed boost coming soon?

Started by Mark Strube, Wednesday Nov 08, 2006, 03:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkK

Quote from: kjnorman;35814Well I had time warner phone me the other day trying to double me speed for (i think) an extra $8/month.

I was not interested.  My current 5mbs line (real world 2-4mbs) is more than fast enough and I would be happy having a more basic package of 2.5mbs for half the price (max $29.99/month) rather than the $45/month I pay now....

Have you checked out RoadRunner Lite?  This costs me $26.99/month, and is offered to compete with DSL, with comparable speed and pricing.  (768 kbs IIRC) You can't find it on TWC's website though - you have to ask for it.

LoadStar

Quote from: MarkK;35908Have you checked out RoadRunner Lite?  This costs me $26.99/month, and is offered to compete with DSL, with comparable speed and pricing.  (768 kbs IIRC) You can't find it on TWC's website though - you have to ask for it.

Hmm. This explains the All The Best ads that I've seen recently... they have in fine print that the plan they offer with that is the 768 kbps service, which I hadn't heard about before.

This would be great for my parents, who don't necessarily need the high speed downloads, but do appreciate the always on service and reliability of broadband.

murdoc

Quote from: MarkK;35908Have you checked out RoadRunner Lite?  This costs me $26.99/month, and is offered to compete with DSL, with comparable speed and pricing.  (768 kbs IIRC) You can't find it on TWC's website though - you have to ask for it.

DSL standard package is $12.99/month

kjnorman

Thanks for the feedback but 768 kbs is too slow for me.  Now if it was 1.5 or 2M I would take that offer up!

Mark Strube

Yeah, the RR-Lite speeds would still allow webpages to load instantly, but it would make most downloads painful.

picopir8

Quote from: murdoc;35912DSL standard package is $12.99/month

However phone service is manditory.  With most phone companies charging around $20 for basic service and upwards of $50 for all the bells+wistles, it just aint worth it.  Many people only use cell phones now and have no need for a land line,  many more people use VOIP which offers much better prices (I have two lines with all the feature, free long distance, international rates around $0.03/min, and $3 of free international calls each month, all for $16.66/mo after taxes).  So going with cable + voip tends to be cheeper especially if you have cable TV and get a package deal.