• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Software For 8300

Started by RS922, Tuesday May 09, 2006, 02:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevbeck122

Did the Pace boxes get the patch at all?  I had problems with HDMI after the last upgrade like others saw on the 8300HD.  I noticed within the past week or two that the gray bars switched back to black.. was that the patch?

mhz40

Quote from: kevbeck122Did the Pace boxes get the patch at all?  I had problems with HDMI after the last upgrade like others saw on the 8300HD.  I noticed within the past week or two that the gray bars switched back to black.. was that the patch?
No.  No new patch for Pace.  There are no Pace DVR's in the Milwaukee area of TW.

Mark Strube

Since I haven't had cable for awhile - anything new with the 8300HD? External hard drive support? Firewire enabled? The brand spankin' new 8300HD I got (it was still in the box - manufactured this Oct) has two 1394 ports and an SATA port available on the back.

LoadStar

Quote from: Mark Strube;35705Since I haven't had cable for awhile - anything new with the 8300HD? External hard drive support? Firewire enabled? The brand spankin' new 8300HD I got (it was still in the box - manufactured this Oct) has two 1394 ports and an SATA port available on the back.

I'd imagine you'd get the same software as anyone else with an 8300, and according to the diags on mine (which is, sadly, firewire-less) firewire and SATA support are both enabled.

LuckySe7ens

They've been advertising a new version for quite some time on TV, which will add an "Access Menu", and "Caller ID On TV" (with digital phone)...  but they've been advertising it for about a month now, and I've yet to see anything

mhz40

Quote from: LuckySe7ens;35714They've been advertising a new version for quite some time on TV, which will add an "Access Menu", and "Caller ID On TV" (with digital phone)...  but they've been advertising it for about a month now, and I've yet to see anything
New version being rolled out in batches.  One would assume it's driving some call volume with questions surrounding the new look and interface.  DVR's are last.  Caller ID on your TV very soon (when subscribed to digital phone).  Also 3-way calling and 2nd line option.

Mark Strube

So 1394 & external SATA drives are really enabled now? Which channels are unprotected?

Mark Strube

Well tonight I picked up a 2nd HD-DVR for the theater room, I'll only be recording HD movies and some trailer shows on that one.

I also picked up an external Seagate 300gb eSATA drive... and it works with the 8300HD!

It will say there's a problem when you first hook it up (make sure the drive is turned on), but then I just did a reboot of the 8300HD. Once that was finished, about 10 seconds later a screen came up asking me if I wanted to format the drive. Works like a charm!!

Gadgetguy

Quote from: Mark Strube;35764Well tonight I picked up a 2nd HD-DVR for the theater room, I'll only be recording HD movies and some trailer shows on that one.

I also picked up an external Seagate 300gb eSATA drive... and it works with the 8300HD!

It will say there's a problem when you first hook it up (make sure the drive is turned on), but then I just did a reboot of the 8300HD. Once that was finished, about 10 seconds later a screen came up asking me if I wanted to format the drive. Works like a charm!!

This is a major event! ..

(1) How do you know if you're getting a new 8300HD unit that will work with the external drive? .. or has software update enabled all of them? My diag screen does show SATA as "SATA status  Authorized" ...

(2) Will this work with any external eSATA? ... Seagate has a 500GB eSATA for $300 at Provantage.com.

Thx.
GadgetGuy@wi.rr.com  
Sony KDL-52XBR4 with TWC 8300HD & OTA
Sony KDL-40XBR4 with OTA
Sony KDS-R50XBR1 with TWC CableCard
Sony KDL-V32XBR1 with TWC CableCard
Sony STR-DA5200ES Receiver
& other Sony stuff ...

Mark Strube

I've posted a seperate sticky thread, so lets continue discussion specific to SATA in there. :)