News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Best/worst channels for pixelating on TWC HD?

Started by Movin2Milwaukee, Thursday Oct 19, 2006, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Movin2Milwaukee

I am either going to get a 70XBR2 or a 60XBR2 Sony TV. In the store, I noticed that some of the movie channels/sports pixelated really badly, on the 70-inch model. I don't want to get the bigger tv if TWC's HD channels have a lot of probs with this, because in my opinion....it will be much more noticeable on the bigger tv.

Of the HD channels on TWC here in Milwaukee, which tend to have artifacting/pixelating probs? What percentage of the channels have this issue? How do the local channels fare? I know this is going to drive me crazy if most of the channels have this issue....if this is the case, I will just go smaller with tv size and hope not to notice it as much.

bubbaridesfast

I can't answer your questions about TWC, but a friend that I was with while looking at tv's last night showed my that you might want to check the set-up on the picture in the store before judging the pixelation of a set.

We were looking at the Sony Bravia LCD and it was showing some pixelation until he changed it from the Vivid mode to Standard mode, then all was fine.

Mark Strube

Yeah most of those screens in-store are in their brightest and sharpest display mode, which you would never want to use at home (unless the sun is shining directly on it or something). Also, they never bother with any type of calibration whatsoever, they're just using the factory default settings, which in most cases aren't anywhere near the proper settings.

You'll see some pixelization since it's the nature of a digital signal, and having a bigger screen does accentuate that problem, however it will never be anywhere nearly as dramatic as what you see in the stores. Especially with things like HD-DVD coming out, I'd go with the biggest screen you can get away with. You can always tweak settings to reduce pixelization.

oz

I see very little pixilation on the HD channels from TWC, which I watch 95% of the time.  Some of the high-number digital channels pixilate a lot, especially when you first change the channel.