• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Tivo Series 3

Started by John Polulach, Monday Oct 09, 2006, 03:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Polulach

I've never used Tivo, but the new Series 3 with HD DVR capabilities looks very interesting!  From what I've read it requires two "cable cards".  Is Series 3 compatible with local TWC service?  Does TWC offer cable cards?  Thanks.
John

mrmike

Yes, and Yes.
YMMV on installation, some folks have been charged to have a tech come and install them, some have not.  Rental is $1.75/mo per card (and you need 2 if you need them since the S3 currently has a known bug regarding using a CC as one tuner and clear QAM on the other).  Make sure that the tech follows the install instructions (basically that he only installs and activates one card at a time) for greatest ease.

There's a very active discussion group over on TiVoCommunity

-MM

kevbeck122

They have to do the install themselves and they'll charge you $32 for it.  In my case they had to do a new coax run from the splitter to my TV, get everything "up to code" as far as grounding and what not, and put in a new amp.  Then they just slid the card in and called TWC to authorize it.

gparris

The only problem I see with the new Tivo HD box is it uses cablecards, which could be rendered obsolete with the switched video, as I understand it.

IF I am understanding this upcoming Wisconsin Division implementation, scheduled to be done before November, it negates cablecard use.

What you will have then, is a very expensive "doorstop"...enjoy it for now. :wave:

kevbeck122

I heard TWC Milwaukee might be switching to the switched video thing, but I didn't know they were set to do it already.  If that's the case, then wait til the Tivo has CableCard 2.0.  The current CC isn't compatible with switched video because the communication has to be two way.

Also- isn't there some FCC law regarding cablecards.. that cable companies have to offer them?

mrmike

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from local TWC on switched digital broadcast.  In other markets they've left big chunks of the digital tier alone and moved things like spanish language channels, off-coast feeds of premium channels, and local access to the switched banks, but it really depends on the market and the channel lineups (or so I'm told).  Don't suppose we have a lurker who works for TWC here?

BTW: CC2.0 won't get you there on the S3 unless they have built a DOCSIS modem into the unit (And most folks think this unlikely, though there is an FPGA hiding in the box that could have a multitude of stuff in it) and get cooperation from TWC (like that'll happen).   TiVo is ostensibly rolling out an OCAP version of their software for Comcast, so it's not completely out of band but it's a long shot.

For me it's lower risk since a lifetime'd S3 will probably hold a decent chunk of its value and I record a lot of OTA HD here in MKE anyway.

John Polulach

I appreciate all the feedback, but most of it is technically over my head.  

Anybody out there with a Tivo Series 3 that works with local TWC?  

Thanks!

John