• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC HD-DVR...HDMI inputs or not?

Started by Movin2Milwaukee, Thursday Sep 28, 2006, 12:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Movin2Milwaukee

My new Sony XBR2 arrives on Saturday and I have to go pick up my TWC HD-DVR from Time Warner. I have heard that there are a couple of different HD-DVR's that Time Warner offers in Milwaukee....do any of them have HDMI connections? Just want to find out now, so I know what to tell the oh-so-friendly people at the desk when I show up.

Thanks in advance.

hormy_83

You'll want to ask them for the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD.  That one has HDMI - even though they say they don't "support" it - it will work.  Some people have been having "handshake" issues with it using the HDMI connection where when you go from SD to HD channels you get static or no picture or something like that.  I've had that happen with mine a few times - but no more than once every other week.  My friend has been having issues with his more often.

Movin2Milwaukee

Thanks for the response. Since I have HDMI, should I ask for the 8300, despite the various issues you just described? I just thought that HDMI was supposed to give the best HD picture, but if the 8300 is buggy....I'll just go with the HD-DVR that accepts Component HD.

Suggestions?

Thanks...

picopir8

Save yourself some cash and just use component.  I have 20:15 (or is it 15:20, whichever is better than 20:20) vision and I used to repair/calibrate TVs so I have a very good eye for these things.  A good component/VGA cable will provide a picture that is just as good as HDMI/DVI.  If a person such as myself can not see a better picture then I have to beleive that most consumers wont either. People just assume that its newer and all digital that it will provide a better picture.  Im sure it does, but a good component/vga connection is so good already that very few, if any, people are able to see the improvements.  Meanwhile people are shelling out $50-100 for good HDMI cables when a $10-20 component cable will do the job.  Also, DVI/HDMI has additional restrictions/copy protections that can be implemented down the road.

As for the 8300, if you have any other devices such as a slingbox or VCR, then you will also want to avoid hdmi.  If you use the hdmi connection and your TV is off, then no video is routed to any other output even though the 8300 is on.  However, if you unplug the hdmi connection, all other outputs will turn on.

Movin2Milwaukee

Thanks Pico...what is TWC's alternative to the SA8300HD? The 8000HD?

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

hormy_83

I'd still do the 8300 no matter what way you are going to do it.  It also has component so after you get it home you can go with whatever connection type you want.  It also sends a signal out via S-video for older TVs.  And this box will send the signal via both connections at the same time (S-Vid and HDMI or Component).  So if you really wanted you could have it hooked up to 2 TVs - you'd have to watch the same thing, but you could watch your recorded shows in a different room then if you ever wanted...  And the menus on the 8300 seem to be quicker than the older models Time Warner offeres.