• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HR20-700 vibration

Started by Drake, Friday Sep 29, 2006, 09:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake

I just had an HR20-700 DVR installed.  I didn't want the installer mucking with my AV cabling, so I didn't put the DVR in my entertainment center right away.  After the installer left, I went to put the DVR in its final location.  When I picked up the unit, I immediately noticed a vibration from within the unit.  I'm guessing it was the hard drive spinning.  The only other moving part I can think that might be in the DVR is a power supply fan, and the unit was shaking too much to be a fan.  But I'm still confused, since the vibration didn't stop when I turned the DVR off.  Does the drive ALWAYS spin on this unit?  

Maybe you can guess what happened next.  When I placed the DVR in my cabinet, the vibration transferred to the cabinet, and the shelf the DVR is on is acting like a sounding board.  I now get this hum from my cabinet that is quite audible, and very annoying  :(

So, first question: should my DVR be vibrating so badly?  I don't think I've ever noticed a laptop or desktop PC vibrate so much.

If yes, does anyone have any tips for isolating the DVR from the cabinet shelf?  I tried felt pads, it helped a little, but not nearly enough.

Thanks.

sp44again

The hard drive always spins. Sounds like you have a defective box.

borghe

if you don't have anything figured out by next tuesday I'll let you know how mine acts after it's installed.

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: DrakeI just had an HR20-700 DVR installed.  I didn't want the installer mucking with my AV cabling, so I didn't put the DVR in my entertainment center right away.  After the installer left, I went to put the DVR in its final location.  When I picked up the unit, I immediately noticed a vibration from within the unit.  I'm guessing it was the hard drive spinning.  The only other moving part I can think that might be in the DVR is a power supply fan, and the unit was shaking too much to be a fan.  But I'm still confused, since the vibration didn't stop when I turned the DVR off.  Does the drive ALWAYS spin on this unit?  

Maybe you can guess what happened next.  When I placed the DVR in my cabinet, the vibration transferred to the cabinet, and the shelf the DVR is on is acting like a sounding board.  I now get this hum from my cabinet that is quite audible, and very annoying  :(

So, first question: should my DVR be vibrating so badly?  I don't think I've ever noticed a laptop or desktop PC vibrate so much.

If yes, does anyone have any tips for isolating the DVR from the cabinet shelf?  I tried felt pads, it helped a little, but not nearly enough.

Thanks.

Fans, if any, should be whisper quiet.  More important, the hard disk (spinning at 7,200 rpm) MUST NOT vibrate.  If it does, your hard drive will be gone in days or weeks.  If you have a noticeably vibrating DVR, get it replaced ASAP.

That's my opinion spread across lots of years and lots of devices.

Stan