• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Inexpensive DVD recorder has component inputs (long)

Started by pdtricn, Sunday Jan 08, 2006, 05:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdtricn

I had asked a while back if there is any way to burn a DVD off a DVR that just outputs through  component video. I have not upgraded my DVR 8000 as according to Time Warner any other output (s-video, etc.) is iffy at this time and may not be supported.  Well the Philips VDVR615 (DVD +R) takes component video in, amazing since I got it for around 100 dollars on Philips refurbished site. I have not actually tried it yet, since I am not sure if it will actually make sense of the 1080 output from the DVR. (I think it can handle i but not p output)

Anyway my question to everyone is how do you see your DVD recorder "fitting in" to your entire audio-video system?  In other words, how do you really use it? Since it also plays DVD's, logically it could be the "DVD player". The question I guess I am asking is what input do you use on your receiver, since I would imagine receivers don't have DVD recorder ins yet, well maybe the very high end ones.  It could also be set as a "cable or TV" input, since it does take input from the DVR as component and would I would imagine output it as component as well, and hopefully the digital sound output as well. That would simplify things immensely, kind of back when I (and maybe some of you) used your VCR as a tuner if you had no cable box, or even if you did, the signal would pass through the VCR simplifying things. Not sure if DVD recorders can do this, I guess I'll just have to try but if anyone knows the answer that may save me some time. I know VCR's would let signal "pass through" even when off. This way I could simplify ewverything, play DVD's through this so I could get rid of my DVD player, watch TV through this and get the digital sound also. The only problem is if recording off the DVR, I would have to see if the DVR recorder could take that input signal, record it live while the DVR outputs the program. Obviously I couldn't watch one channel and record another that way, unless I did video switching of some sort.

Or do you use it as a totally separate component, utilizing auxillary video input or similar? I guess I may be complicating the whole idea of these, but if they are to be useful, especially with the timer record feature, than either the tuner component will have to be activated in the unit or else the DVR would have to be on correct channel at time of recording, one of the disadvantages the VCR sometimes had (with a cable box).

Well anyway thank goodness for DVR's they sure have simplified things, but unless I can find a good way to incorporate this DVD recorder/player, I am not sure how much use I will get out of it.

Pdtricn

SONY XBR tube high def -I think the world's largest straight CRT-36 inches, Yamaha 6.1 surround receiver, Scientific Atlanta 8000 DVR

zoothorn

Don't know if you are still around. I was looking for threads on the SA8000 and came across this one (TWC tech came out Friday becauase the hard drive in my 8300 was f-ing up and when I wasn't here replaced it with an 8000!!)

At any rate, I just bought a DVD recorder so I thought I'd tell you what I did. I use it as my DVD player and hook it up to the receiver and TV as the DVD. The only input to it is (or was...)  from the 8300 for me to make copies of things I want to archive. I don't use the tuner in it at all, don't attempt to run the TV signal through it (it would only 'see' what was on the cable box anyway...well except for maybe channels under 100) but I don't even bother. Record to the DVR, archive through the 'line in' to the DVD Recorder. That's how I use it anyway, no scheduled recording or anything.

Best of luck.