News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Format at 102.1, your thoughts?

Started by sp44again, Monday Jul 10, 2006, 08:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAS

Quote from: murdocAnybody know if it's possible to install a high-powered antenna in your car?  I have a regular powered raising antenna in one car, and an antenna installed on the rear window in another car.  I'd like to get Madison and Chicago stations if possible.  This was the last straw!  :bang:  :bang:  :bang:

I also am interested in a good antenna and car tuner for Madison Stations.  I have been in cars that can pull in certain Madison stations around Milwaukee and eliminate the interference from other stuff, but some other factory systems are very bad at long range stations.  I think Madison stations can come in, but the nearby interference is a problem for standard systems.

I don't feel like having to pay a XM radio bill when i can more stations from Madison, Chicago, fox cities.  Plus I already get BUCKS, BREWERS, PACKERS, cubs, white sox, bears, bulls games on am stations.

StarvingForHDTV

102.1 stopped their crazy 5 seconds per song deal.  Now they are back to what they were doing before with a few more less mainstream songs mixed in.

Doug Mohr

Quote from: StarvingForHDTV102.1 stopped their crazy 5 seconds per song deal.  Now they are back to what they were doing before with a few more less mainstream songs mixed in.

I like it better now. But it is only a minor format change and major DJ change.

Bigdog

Quote from: mhz40I dumped it too (XM).  Over compression.  Some channels sound like you are listening to an mp3 track recorded at 96kb/s or less.  The MLB basesball channels were at best AM quality... without the anoying 'side tones'.

Now I just load my own mp3 disks in the CD changer in the truck.

Do you know if that also applies to Sirius? XM is the preferred system for my GMC Sierra (eventhough I don't have it either) but am looking at some adapters for Sirius?

kevbeck122

XM has better sound... Sirius has bad stereo separation from what I've heard.
I've also heard that Sirius has better content and less repetitions than XM (which is why I'm dumping XM in favor of my MP3 player).

Bigdog

Thanks for the info, I guess I will just keep waiting then. Changing out my CD deck for one that will handle MP3's is a pain as it is tied into the steering wheel controls as well as Onstar.

kjnorman

I kinda stopped listening to radio a long time ago, now I 95% of my time listen to subscription based music downloaded onto a compatible mp3 player from a service like Yahoo or Rhapsody.

Occasionally I listened to 102.1 and liked their mix of music however I got put off my the content of the advertisers.  It seemed that every other ad was for "male enhancement" , a strip joint, or an adult video store.  Come on!  Maybe they pay big bucks to advertise because no body else will air their crap, but I don't want to listen to it, so I stopped listening to 102.1.

Kerry

Doug Mohr

Quote from: kjnormanI kinda stopped listening to radio a long time ago, now I 95% of my time listen to subscription based music downloaded onto a compatible mp3 player from a service like Yahoo or Rhapsody.

Occasionally I listened to 102.1 and liked their mix of music however I got put off my the content of the advertisers.  It seemed that every other ad was for "male enhancement" , a strip joint, or an adult video store.  Come on!  Maybe they pay big bucks to advertise because no body else will air their crap, but I don't want to listen to it, so I stopped listening to 102.1.

Kerry

Most stations are airing crap ads like that. I hear ads for strip clubs on the mix during work hours and I've heard them on WKTI in the evenings.

I think its just a matter of money. If the sales staff can't bring in enough ad revenue from "Spatula City" type advertisers, they need to go to a lower class of advertisers to stay in business.

mhz40

Quote from: Doug Mohr...they need to go to a lower class of advertisers to stay in business.
Wrong.  If they have to scrape the bottom that badly, they need to change their format to something that people will listen to.  If successful, advertisers will soon follow.
IMO, it's not a matter of money.  It's an issue of running a business with class, which apparently some stations have lost along the way.

BTW, XM sound sucks.  Maybe better separation than FM, but overall; worse than FM in sound quality.  On many of the talking heads channels, I couldn't get past the compression artifacts long enough to enjoy the content.  I liked it at first because of the format, but dropped it after a year.

murdoc

Quote from: mhz40Wrong.  If they have to scrape the bottom that badly, they need to change their format to something that people will listen to.  If successful, advertisers will soon follow.
IMO, it's not a matter of money.  It's an issue of running a business with class, which apparently some stations have lost along the way.

I think your forgetting that 102.1's format is aimed at the 18-35 year old male crowd.  Most of the 18-35 year old male listeners don't mind the ads.  It's better than listening to an ad for Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  ;)

kjnorman

Quote from: murdocI think your forgetting that 102.1's format is aimed at the 18-35 year old male crowd.  Most of the 18-35 year old male listeners don't mind the ads.  It's better than listening to an ad for Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  ;)

Guess I am in the wrong demographic now.  36 years old and with two children.  And the funny thing is, is that I like this demographic - apart from the middle aged spread that is creeping in around the waist  :D   I must be getting old, because my music taste is changing and when I see or hear the stuff targeted at 18-35 year olds I could not give a rats a** about 80% of it....